Poor video quality, ideas as to why please
1537 15 2015-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cookec2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1032933 ft
United Kingdom

Could someone explain what is the best way / why has this happened. When filming towards the sunset the video quality looks poor. The tree scene looks OK. Both had exact same settings, 4K 30fps. Why would it be like that towards the sun, and how can I shoot a sunset without getting these problems?
Thank you

2015-10-3
Use props
Jay_Bit
lvl.3

United States

Think the footage is nice - great location. If your looking at "into the sun" type footage, in my humble opinion, if you aren't already using one, you may want to try an ND filter. To be honest, your 'problem" sounds a little vague, and I am not entirely sure we can understand the issue you're having. It would help also, if you let us know what your settings are, eg. ISO/Color Balance etc.
2015-10-3
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Agree.  Your question is too vague.  I'm going to assume that you are complaining about the darkness when looking into the sun.  That would indicate that you probably are not a photographer, per se.

When you look into the sun, you have a much higher amount of light coming from the sun than what is hitting the ground.  I didn't pay enough attention to know if you had the camera set for auto-exposure or not, but it sure looked like it had shut down because of the sun.  Even with ND filters, you are always going to have a compromise.  You can't expose for both the sun and the shadows, UNLESS, you use a graduated ND filter.  You can compromise, or you can expose for the darker areas, or you can expose for the sun.  I won't go into the graduated filter, because you likely don't have one.

You need to go to manual exposure and set it for the darker areas, if that's what you want.  Manual is a bit tricky, because if you close it, it will go back to auto.  You have to swipe it off the screen instead of closing those settings.  

I know this isn't very detailed, as I don't have mine where I can start it up and go over the steps.  There are LOTS of threads on the forum talking about how to expose and how to do your setting for FPS and exposure time.  Further, I don't know if this is the "problem" you are having.  More details, please.
2015-10-3
Use props
cookec2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

By poor quality, I was referring to the ground looking pixelated when viewing into the sun, and not nice and crisp, considering it was shot in 4K.
No I am not a photographer, but learning what I can, and these questions are part of that process.
2015-10-4
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

I dont have the answer but filming in Exmoor - are you local to that - I am in Devon
2015-10-4
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I probably should have said Exmouth as Devon is too vague ;)
2015-10-4
Use props
cookec2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Stan, yes I'm in North Devon, near Barnstaple.
2015-10-4
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

cookec2 Posted at 2015-10-4 10:45
Hi Stan, yes I'm in North Devon, near Barnstaple.

DOH! - Sorry I think we had this conversation a while back
2015-10-4
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

did you remove the plastic sticker that comes attached to the lens when new?
2015-10-4
Use props
cookec2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-10-4 18:08
did you remove the plastic sticker that comes attached to the lens when new?

Yes no plastic on the lens! Can anyone see the pixelating or is it my eyes?! Lol!
2015-10-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

ND filter would not solve the issue completely, but  it would be better with it on
2015-10-4
Use props
cookec2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-5 08:31
ND filter would not solve the issue completely, but  it would be better with it on

The ND filter was on. ND8
2015-10-5
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Since we can only see the YouTube footage and you only posted it at 1080p...  I can't really see the original footage to compare.  Was your original  4K footage pixilated?

I think what we have here is a case of TRIPPLE compression artifacts.  First your camera onboard the Phantom 3 compresses the 4K footage to H264 to stay within the data rate for the SD card.  Then you import your H264 footage into an editing program which probably compresses the footage again.  And then you upload your footage to YouTube where it gets compressed for a third time.  (It's a third generation... tripple compressed file we are looking at.)

It's quite normal for YouTube to add significant compression artifacts.  How does the YouTube video compare with your original 4K footage?
And by the way...  THIS is exactly why professional cinema cameras do NOT use ANY compression.  The files are huge.  The storage requred is expensive.  The storage space to edit is HUGE and EXPENSIVE.  But you don't have compression artifacts.  

And this is exactly why DJI also offers a camera solution to this issue called ZENMUSE X5R.  It does not compress.  It has no compression artifacts.  It costs $2,199.

http://store.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x5

This is the difference between a "hobby grade" toy camera and a professional camera.
2015-10-5
Use props
cookec2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-10-5 23:12
Since we can only see the YouTube footage and you only posted it at 1080p...  I can't really see the ...

OK thanks for your informative reply.
Is it still possible to upload in 4K, although my laptop isn't 4K? I edit using Premiere Elements 14. The thing is tho, all the footage then would have been compressed 3 times, but the tree bit still looks good quality?
The original footage does look better than what is uploaded to youtube.
2015-10-6
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

You must shoot with ND filters and always in manual mode to control your exposure.  Shooting in Auto makes these kinds of changes in your exposure, white balance and so on...  randomly raising/lowering ISO, Shutter Speeds, and so on according to the changing lighting conditions on every turn you make.  Ideally you want to be shooting at ISO 100 and a shutter speed of 50-60 and you do that by getting a set of ND filters (Taco RC has some good ones) and then use those to control your exposure.  In sunset shots an ND 4 should be enough and maybe you might not need one at all depending on your light, the EV meter in the app will tell you.  Also, turn down your sharpness, saturation, and contrast, I use

-2 sharpness
-3 contrast
-2 saturation

Then you edit in Adobe Premiere CC or whatever and color correct your footage, standard stuff.  You'll get a lot better results.
2015-10-6
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-10-6 06:12
Since we can only see the YouTube footage and you only posted it at 1080p...  I can't really see the ...

Hit the nail right on the head. Bang!
2015-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules