Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Commercial Use ???
1857 4 2014-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lilly8812
New

United States

NO commercial use mandate at this time apparently.   Any one have any information on how to .. or when?   

I am a landscape photographer who sell prints and digital licensing of photography.     I would like to delve into use of drones for a new perspective but it appears I would be unable to sell any images or video. (?)

That unfortunately makes the drone just and expense toy...

Thoughts?  Comments appreciated.

Chris
2014-12-16
Use props
anthony
lvl.1
United States

My "thought" for what it's worth, especially for your type of use, is that if the property owner approves of use of a drone over his property, up to the legal altitude, it should be legal.  Can they really regulate how you use the air above your property?  If I call a company to crane a tree into my backyard, can the gov't tell me that the crane is using space above the house and, therefore, illegal?

I am just venting here and have not read the law (or administrative law, if that's all that it is), but I feel that keeping the flight within the property lines should be acceptable.  Now, is it possible to do everything you want within the property lines?  Maybe not.

And why should "commercial" or "business" use make any damn difference?  It's not any more or less safe.  

<off soapbox and truly looking forward to other peoples' thoughts while I research the law>
2014-12-31
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337953 ft
United Kingdom

anthony@midmore Posted at 2015-1-1 09:20
My "thought" for what it's worth, especially for your type of use, is that if the property owner app ...

Hi I dont know which country you are living in. In the Uk if the drone is used " for hire or reward" then you will require a CAA certificate the issue of which  is granted  after you have passed ground school exams and a flight test. Drones are regarded as aircraft and as such are controlled by the Air Navigation Order, specifically, Rules 166 and 167. Essentially, they are treated just as a normal aircraft, the  flying of which for commercial purposes requires a commercial licence. No licence is currently required if flying for private use

Legal opinion might need to be obtained as to whether using the drone in support of your business constitutes "flying for hire or reward" I suspect it will, just as if you had been chartered by a third party to fly it for some recompense. Flying insurance is not required as part of the rules if the drone weighs less than 20Kgs, but you could still be open for  a third party claim if something went wrong and a person was injured or property damaged.

There have been a lot of calls in the UK for extra legislation to control the ' boom in drones', generally the current legilation is thought by many to be adequate, the trouble is most people do not know about it. The CAA will, I am sure, investigate any issues which come the their attention of unlicensed commercial use of drones, this could well have been a report from a member of the public after feeling their interests - privacy etc has been reduced by the use of the drone or if there has been an incident, especially as there has been so much press coverage.

So, I am not sure if this helps, but I hope it is generally of some use...

2015-1-11
Use props
michaelgulley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

From what I have seen what you say is totally correct, but the cost of a licence/certificate is very expensive
2015-1-14
Use props
tomokc
New

United States

I am a licensed pilot who will be doing commercial aerial photography using drone/UAS/UAV, and I am pursuing a COA (Section 333 exemption). I met with two FAA people today who told me that the commercial regulations are now not expected until 2016. A draft version of the regs are expected in the next two months, but that is preliminary. Expansion:

The delays are the result of drone crashes and injuries: The White House lawn, a drone-inflicted personal injury outside a football stadium, etc. Each one results in additional FAA study. If operators would stop operating while stupid, drunk or irresponsible, then the process would conclude, but in the meantime each crash gives them another one to analyze.

FAA is also likely to require a pilot's license and Second Class medical certificate (they explained reasons for the latter which make sense to me, but are too lengthy to explain to non-pilots in a forum like this). The requirement that an individual drone/UAS/UAV be registered is not expected.
2015-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules