iOS 9.0.2 Bench Mark test
1482 14 2015-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

I Performed a test today.  I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 2 and I am updating the mini to iOS 9.0.2 (not touching my Air 2 yet) but wanted to do a benchmark test first.  I wanted to drastically limit the signal strength so I did not have far to go with the RC.   So I put the bird on a table in a closet in the upstairs bedroom.  I was never one to push the limits of the HD to see how far I could go but I have had it 3/4 mile away from me without any HD signal glitch using this iPad Mini 2.

1) P3Pro sitting on a table in my upstairs bedroom closet. Firmware 1.4.0010

2) Go App Version 2.2.0 for iOS

3) iPad Mini 2 wifi only with iOS Version 8.4.1

4) Connected to RC set the HD in custom mode channel 13 (4mbs streaming) and went outside and walked until I got interference.

5) pulled up HD signal page and changed from 13 to 20 (the next best looking channel) and it cleared right up.

6)  walked further until I got another house between me and my house and I lost the HD for good.  But that was pretty far considering my bird was in a closet in my upstairs bedroom.  335' straight line distance neighbors house between me and the bird.  See Red Line.

7) Next Installed the GO 2.3 app on the iPad Mini and everthing else remained the same.  Could not tell the difference.  Signal still dropped out and end of red line.  Channel 20 where I live is the channel to be on.  And GO still performed the same.  Red Line 335' direct line to bird on the map.

**** Upadate iPad Mini 2 to iOS 9.0.2

8) After installing iOS 9.0.2 on the iPad Mini 2 I took it back out and believe it or not for my iPad mini I was able to go a bit further.  I lost it at the end of the Green Line.  I made it further than the other two tries and never lost it through that first house.  But after I went to 470' I got into another house and lost it there.  So with iOS 9.0.2 with Go App 2.3.0 I went 470' direct line to the bird (the Green Line on the map).

So in this test iOS version 9.0.2 did better then iOS version 8.4.1

Bench Mark Test

Bench Mark Test
2015-10-6
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Nice, thanks for sharing.  I updated my iPad Mini 2 last night to IOS 9.0.2, DJI GO 2.3.0, and will fly today or tomorrow.
2015-10-7
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think the differences are caused by your device, iOS version, or DJI GO version.  Your iPad does not send or receive signal to the Phantom.  The only possible issue you could have is some errant, intermittent interference from your iPad's different radial signals from its different devices: GSM or CDMA, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.  

More important is thinking about the post-mordial ocean of signals that permeate every cubic inch of our world, inside and out.  Some are intentional (cell towers, radio stations, Wi-Fi networks from every house on the street).  Just because you don't have a device connected to them doesn't mean they're there.  They're everywhere!  Sometimes they cause interference, and sometimes they don't.  Just as formidable are the accidental, unexpected signals that come from electrical engines, like the fan that came on on an circuit near your closet in the upstairs bedroom.

For all the talk of interference from a tablet or phone, I think it is on the par with not swimming for thirty minutes after you eat.  If it IS SLIGHTLY POSSIBILE that your iPad is giving your controller harmful vibes, then it is HIGHLY LIKELY that you're doomed from all the other rogue signals that humanity (and nature) have created.  (If you don't believe that, go to the signal quality meter in the DJI GO app, and watch those tiny green ballerinas dance.)  The odds that an iOS update appreciably altered those signals in a harmful way are infinitesimal.  
2015-10-7
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-10-7 04:11
Nice, thanks for sharing.  I updated my iPad Mini 2 last night to IOS 9.0.2, DJI GO 2.3.0, and will  ...

I am going to take mine up today for a test flight with the mini 2 with this new GO 2.3 and the new iOS 9.0.2 but judging from my test I should not have a degraded signal or bad streaming feed etc.  If everything goes well.  My Air 2 will be updated as well.
2015-10-7
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3

Colombia

Awesome, and please advise how your test flight goes.
2015-10-7
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

bobasbury Posted at 2015-10-7 04:41
I don't think the differences are caused by your device, iOS version, or DJI GO version.  Your iPad  ...

People on this and other forums had been reporting problems with HD SIGNAL and streaming video to their device after upgrading to iOS 9.   This test was to benchmark a  working system with good HD signal in iOS version 8.4.1 and upgrade it to iOS 9.0.2.   There was video problems that were in the initial release of version 9 by apple that had caused problems with all sorts of applications that depended on video streaming etc.   Locked up iPad mini's and Air 2's.  And was supposed to have been fixed in iOS 9.01.

DJI had asked that everyone refrain from upgrading to iOS 9 until their the GO app version 2.3 was released as there were problems and was not compatible.

As you can see I have no problems at all with the post mordial ocean whatever and everything else you mentioned that I never had trouble with.  

What you are referring to has nothing to do with the purpose of this post.  Sorry.

2015-10-7
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-10-7 04:53
Awesome, and please advise how your test flight goes.

Took it for a spin today iPad Mini 2 wifi only with iOS 9.0.2 with GO version 2.3 on the device.  Everything went flawlessly.  Perfect video streaming etc.  18 Minute flight and it worked like a charm.
2015-10-7
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3

Colombia

Thanks, flying tomorrow with same set up.
2015-10-7
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

60 min total flight today with iPad Mini 4 Wi Fi + Cellular with iOS 9.0.2 DJI GO 2.3. Total control and no problem at all.
Wi Fi off and cellular data transmission off also. Air Plane Mode on.
There was 2 major cellular tower 500 meeter from me for this flight.

I was having big troubles with DJI GO 2.2.

So far so good.

2015-10-7
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-7 17:31
60 min total flight today with iPad Mini 4 Wi Fi + Cellular with iOS 9.0.2 DJI GO 2.3. Total control ...

Yep, this is good news.  I am upgrading my iPad Air 2 now and can hopefully fly with it tomorrow.
2015-10-7
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I noticed some lag on the previous version of dji go. I usually experienced soon after booting up the app. I wonder if others may have misinterpreted this as the app actually causing the phantom to lose signal.
2015-10-7
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-10-7 18:44
People on this and other forums had been reporting problems with HD SIGNAL and streaming video to t ...

My point is that any problems with iOS 9 would have nothing to do with the signal, because the iPad or other device receives data via cable.  The only substantial thing that the iOS app can do is change the channel.  

iOS 9 may have caused problems in processing the signal graphically, rendering the video (which is what I suspect), or it may have caused other conflicts.  But the range of transmission, both for control and video, is strictly between the controller and the Phantom itself.

There's absolutely no question that some devices and some operating systems / versions work better with the Phantom than others.  But range, either in video or control, is not one of them.
2015-10-8
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

bobasbury Posted at 2015-10-8 05:44
My point is that any problems with iOS 9 would have nothing to do with the signal, because the iPa ...

No matter the problem cause etc. for the problems the Bench Mark is what it is.  I can use it later to see if signal / video / etc is worse or better by replicating the procedure.  The only real variable will be actual frequency noise on a particular channel.
2015-10-8
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-10-8 18:56
No matter the problem cause etc. for the problems the Bench Mark is what it is.  I can use it late ...

... and / or the ingredients of the post-mordial soup of the day.
2015-10-8
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

bobasbury Posted at 2015-10-8 06:15
... and / or the ingredients of the post-mordial soup of the day.

Yes the "Carl Sagen" soup.   You read my mind.
2015-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules