What is wrong with this flight (lost signal in no time)?
1468 10 2015-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

Hi there,

Had this P3S flight a couple of days ago.  The signal strength dropped from good to very poor in no time.  I was able to call the bird back, but and signal strength remained to be poor even when it was right above me.  I noticed that real time video feedback was not working on the way back and the LED light on remote control also turned red.  The P3S did respond to my controls during the landing, though.

The flight record is shared below.  Your helps on fingering out the problem would be greatly appreciated.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MTg4ODY

Cheers
gongml
2015-10-8
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Hmmm cant see anything obvious I can clearly see the signal map tho If I were to guess I'd say it's how you have your antennas positioned in relation to your bird.Can you share how you position your antennas?
2015-10-8
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Canada

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-10-8 10:23
Hmmm cant see anything obvious I can clearly see the signal map tho If I were to guess I'd say it's  ...

Thanks for the input!

I did try to adjust the antenna orientation, but it didn't help.  Considering that the signal was poor when the P3S was landing in front of me, I doubt it was the antenna orientation problem...
2015-10-8
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Australia

gongml Posted at 2015-10-9 00:48
Thanks for the input!

I did try to adjust the antenna orientation, but it didn't help.  Consideri ...

Well must of been some external noise in the environment for it to go to crap that quick.Are you using the channel hack?Maybe there is a lot of interference generated by something nearby?
2015-10-8
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Canada

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-10-8 11:23
Well must of been some external noise in the environment for it to go to crap that quick.Are you u ...

I did not use channel hack (dunno how to do it).  Would it help to solve the problem or may it cause the problem?

I tried to flight the P3S today near home and the problem showed up again on the second flight.  Lost signal (and the video feedback) when the drone was only 100m away and only be able to resume good connection after the drone was landed and the remote control was rebooted.  I had flew in this area dozens of times before and never had connection problems.

See the flight record below.  All inputs are highly appreciated!
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=ODk0Mw
2015-10-8
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

How many batteries have you tried? It looks like during flight it just flipped. It may be a battery issue.
2015-10-8
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Canada

BayArea99 Posted at 2015-10-8 21:05
How many batteries have you tried? It looks like during flight it just flipped. It may be a battery  ...

Good thoughts!  I have two batteries.  I didn't pay attention to which battery was used when flying.  However, based on the two flight records, two different batteries are used.  They both have 100% battery life, with 17 and 6 charges, respectively.  So looks like it may not be the battery problem.

Had another IMU calibration earlier today and will test the drone again.  If the problem still come up, I may have to send it to DJI.  
2015-10-8
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Australia

gongml Posted at 2015-10-9 11:35
Good thoughts!  I have two batteries.  I didn't pay attention to which battery was used when flyin ...

Yeh could be a lose antenna connection on or inside the r/c but opening the r/c will void warranty.
2015-10-8
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Canada

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-10-9 00:52
Yeh could be a lose antenna connection on or inside the r/c but opening the r/c will void warranty ...

Thanks, Rocket_Aus!

Any other suggestions?  Also, how to request a warranty service from DJI?
2015-10-9
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Australia

gongml Posted at 2015-10-9 20:58
Thanks, Rocket_Aus!

Any other suggestions?  Also, how to request a warranty service from DJI?

Actually when I first responded to your thread I assumed you had a advanced ....standard being on "wifi" throws up alot of other possibilitys.
Yeh you have to contact tech support, I did notice dbs has a patch antenna available for the standard now.http://dbsmods.com/
2015-10-9
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Canada

A quick update on this issue:

After IMU calibration and relinking the RC with the P3S, it seems the lost signal problem might have gone.  After a couple of short (within 200m) flights in the city, today I pushed the bird to over 1.6km away after I hiked to the top of a hill.  The signal was weak in the end, but it soon got back after I initiated RTH.

Anyway, I am happy with it now and hope it stays this way.

Cheers
2015-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules