Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices
123Next >
66259 90 2015-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

In this video, we will show you best practices when using the DJI Remote Controller in order to get the optimal signal performance.
Follow the tips given in this video to get the best control of your aircraft and the smoothest possible live video view

2015-10-9
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112451 ft
United States

Very helpful, thanks Tim.
2015-10-9
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent information!
Thank You.
2015-10-9
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Tim,

A "must see" for new Phantom pilots!

Jerry
2015-10-9
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well stated. I have been working with radios for 50 years. The Antenna location and position is of the utmost importance. That goes for a $ 50.oo radio as well as a $ 50,000.oo radio.
2015-10-9
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Excellent vid
2015-10-9
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

appreciated
2015-10-9
Use props
billswanson89
lvl.1

United States

Who Knew?  the part about the signal in relation to the antenna.. I had no Idea...
2015-10-9
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely Tim - they say 'a picture paints a thousand words.' Even though this information is in the manual - seeing it visually on video helps a lot - thanks. Keep informative videos like this coming
2015-10-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Phuglie Posted at 2015-10-10 03:07
Lovely Tim - they say 'a picture paints a thousand words.' Even though this information is in the ma ...

I do agree that the video is the better way to provide information to the user, surfing forum, sometimes i wonder how many % of the users read the manual
2015-10-9
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240161 ft
Denmark

Vital. Emphatically expressed clarity.
I don't think reading the manual results in jumping the learning curve :-)
The thread title should work like a magnet.
Good work/engagement and thankyou
2015-10-9
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Nice video, good info for new yes and seasoned pilots alike.
2015-10-10
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Great instructional video
2015-10-10
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-10-10 09:35
Great instructional video

I hope we can ask questions here in relation to signals… I asked this before in another thread and did not get an answer so I am hoping I can get one here,

When using the way point function are all the coordinates transmitted at the time of application of the route… Otherwise if I have 5 way points and one is line of site to the left of an obstruction but further out from the controller…and the second point is to the right of an obstruction and further away and when I fly the route from point one to point two the obstruction will block any signals form the controller… Are the coords saved on the aircraft where it can continue to fly the route with a blocked signal from the controller…otherwise will it fly the route autonomously?

This question also applies to the point of interest… once the point is set along with the radius will it continue to fly the POI even if the signals are blocked.

I hope I am making myself clear.

Butch
2015-10-10
Use props
Waldemar54
lvl.1

New Zealand

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-10 23:54
I hope we can ask questions here in relation to signals… I asked this before in another thread an ...

I will answer it for you to my best understanding:
Q1.When using the way point function are all the coordinates transmitted at the time of application of the route
A. Yes.
Q2a. Otherwise if I have 5 way points and one is line of site to the left of an obstruction but further out from the controller
Q2b. and the second point is to the right of an obstruction and further away and when I fly the route from point one to point two the obstruction will block any signals form the controller
A.        You should never do that as you would have lost the communication with the craft while setting the route. You will trigger RTH and remember to set the RTH altitude to higher than your obstruction.

Q3. Are the coords saved on the aircraft where it can continue to fly the route with a blocked signal from the controller
A.        If you really like to do that than you should set the route from an elevated position to assure of a good communication with the craft and save the route. In turn you should be able to execute the route from the low/obstructed position and the craft should be able to execute it autonomously but ONLY if the next Waypoint takes priority over signal loss RTH function and in that case you must set it accordingly.

Q4. Otherwise will it fly the route autonomously?
A.        See above and remember that your video link will also be lost. Also note that the best way is to have good communication with the craft at all the time.

Q5. This question also applies to the point of interest… once the point is set along with the radius will it continue to fly the POI even if the signals are blocked.
A.        All above A's are applicable to your Q5. RTH setting must be set accordingly.

Would like to know if the above worked for you.
The above is a good scenario for DJI software people to comment on and hopefully they will.

2015-10-10
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-10 23:54
I hope we can ask questions here in relation to signals… I asked this before in another thread an ...

Waldemar54 has already answered your question but this is a shortened version:

The aircraft will initiate a RTH whenever signal is lost.

How do you create waypoints? You have to fly to them first right? If you have to do that, how would you create a waypoint that is not within line of sight? Possibly by flying from a location where there is line of sight, e.g. high ground and then moving to low ground? Why would you ever want to do that?

With regard to POI - POI flight requires constant stick input to execute. Any loss of contact around an obstacle would initiate a RTH - this is actually illustrated in the video.

These design features were deliberately crafted in the interest of safety.
2015-10-10
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Waldemar54 Posted at 2015-10-10 18:01
I will answer it for you to my best understanding:
Q1.When using the way point function are all the ...

"A.        You should never do that as you would have lost the communication with the craft while setting the route. You will trigger RTH and remember to set the RTH altitude to higher than your obstruction."

No I would not loose communication while setting the route... that is my point... I would fly back  in front of the obstruction then to the right further away and set point two... but between point one and two as the route is applied would go behind the obstruction.

And thank you for all the information.
2015-10-10
Use props
Waldemar54
lvl.1

New Zealand

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-11 10:40
"A.        You should never do that as you would have lost the communication with the craft while s ...

Ok! That was not very obvious.
It is interesting scenario in did and you know I think that should work. Although I’m not going to try it but if I would to try I would use more basic model as the software feature discussed is identical.
2015-10-11
Use props
Phantomen3
lvl.2

Sweden

is it somehow possible to use a range extender? if i place it in a open area about 1km away from me so i can fly around 3-4 km?

this must be scam or? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-2-4G ... hash=item21019f9d07
2015-10-11
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Range extender are not meant to be use as a repeater.  Just used to extend the range some from your controller.
2015-10-12
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

Great video!
2015-10-12
Use props
Plus Form
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nice instructional video, shame the audio was seemingly recorded using a potato.
2015-10-13
Use props
andreas_kreuz
lvl.2

Germany

Cool animation,Tim, as usual
Beginners should always imagine a donut/doughnut over their antennas
2015-10-13
Use props
kbjyin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 877864 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Great work tim!
2015-10-13
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice Job Tim!!

Thank you for sharing this with everyone

Rich
2015-10-14
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-10-9 08:14
Well stated. I have been working with radios for 50 years. The Antenna location and position is of t ...

Second that vote!

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-15
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-10 22:40
"A.        You should never do that as you would have lost the communication with the craft while s ...

You must have line-of-sight for the "entire" flight. If, at any time, the signal from the Phantom back to the transmitter (controller) is lost, the Phantom will go into RTH mode.

From your perspective, you feel the Phantom should be fine because it knows where it's supposed to go. However, once it loses contact with the controller.....

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-15
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
United States

Phantomen3 Posted at 2015-10-11 11:30
is it somehow possible to use a range extender? if i place it in a open area about 1km away from me  ...

Keep in mind - a range extender does not permit your to fly "behind" objects. Once you get something between your Phantom and the controller, it will lose signal contact and initiate RTH. Doesn't matter how big the antenna is - if the signal gets blocked, it gets blocked!

Your signal might be stronger through a lot of trees, but solid objects (like buildings) are still quite likely going to block your signal.

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-15 07:06
Keep in mind - a range extender does not permit your to fly "behind" objects. Once you get somethi ...

If the Phantom is close enough it is possible that it will still receive the signal. Remember, we are at 2 and 5 Gig. Think of your cell phone being used within a building. The worst case of signal blockage is metal as the signal will be reflected off it's surface.
2015-10-15
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-15 06:00
Second that vote!

Art Burke - N4PJ

Art... i am not sure that is true... In another thread a DJI rep told me different... I wish they would answer here. In the other thread I was told that in the POI mode for instance that the bird would continue to circle until the battery went out if the bird lost contact with the controller if it was following a poi route.

This is why i am asking about the waypoint route.

Butch
2015-10-15
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-15 18:06
Art... i am not sure that is true... In another thread a DJI rep told me different... I wish they  ...

I understand. However, if the usage of the POI "over-rides" the fail-safe mechanism, that's not good!

And to the other guy about cell phones working inside - yes, they do, but typically at a greatly reduced power level, i.e., you'll typically have a weaker signal.

During the winter time, your signal can do pretty well going through trees. In the summer time when the tree has leaves, not so much.

The 4 GHz and 8 GHz signals are UHF - they are heavily line-of-sight (they will not "bend" over the horizon) and the transmission power being used for the Phantom is not all that strong. Consequently, if your Phantom is some distance away and a building gets between you and your Phantom, I wish you luck.

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-15 18:06
Art... i am not sure that is true... In another thread a DJI rep told me different... I wish they  ...

I have no idea Butch. I have not tried it yet. I flew yesterday checking on my thoughts in regard to RTH which were correct. The window came up on the POI and I was tempted to try it. I was going to fly today but the weather people are talking rain and snow! Thunder Storm at the moment. Looks like today is out.
2015-10-16
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video. Thanks
2015-10-18
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Butch,

Here may be the answer for your questions in the form of technicalities.  On page 14 of the P3 manual in the middle of the page graphics for Failsafe RTH, graphics block 4 (out of 6) says "Signal Lost Lasts (after 3 sec.)".  This means that if the obstruction is narrow enough for the P3 to pass behind it fast enough that it regains contact in less than 3 seconds, Failsafe RTH will not be initiated.  The DJI video on waypoints (for the P3 Standard) says two things relevant to this discussion.  One is that the highest waypoints speed (for the P3 Standard at least) is 5 meters per second.  Therefore, the obstruction can be 50 feet wide.  

And two - of the most interest - is that the waypoints video says in the beginning that the P3 can fly the waypoints autonomously - which means independently, as in no controller needed.  This means that if you can get around the obstruction well enough to set waypoints on different sides of the obstruction; and you can fly above and far enough behind the obstruction to determine that there are no obstructive problems behind the obstruction in a straight line (or lines) between the set waypoints; then according to the video, your P3 should be able to connect the dots.  This also indicates that as long as the battery holds out (the only thing said in the video about RTH), the P3 will go around obstructions wider than 50 feet - even much, much wider.  The video signal will be lost of course, but many pilots disable the tablet / phone video cache for performance stability anyway.  All the video is on the SD chip.  You also would not be able to fly the waypoints route with "free" control of the camera because there would be no communication, so you would have to set the waypoints real well.  

This information might solve a problem some day, but it needs to be tested and confirmed.  If I could find an appropriate obstruction (50 feet wide and another wider), I would give it a shot, but everything here is mountains, valleys and jungle or else there are too many people around.  Got to think about this some more.

Just sayin.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-20
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-10-20 05:35
Aloha Butch,

Here may be the answer for your questions in the form of technicalities.  On page ...

Thanks Cetaman I believe you are correct and it is the way I was thinking too... Maybe someday we can get an official clarification. I do not anticipate flying autonomously very often but I can see many applications of routes where it would be useful if it were possible.

But first we need a stable system and, sad but so, I have not had a totally dependable system since I bought the aircraft.

Butch
2015-10-20
Use props
jennyfer
New

Vietnam

Great ! Thanks Cetaman I believe you are correct and it is the way I was thinking too ....Here my blog : wordpress video themes responsive  thank you visition
2015-10-21
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

well done video, dji.  maybe they're catching on?
2015-10-21
Use props
rbabcock19
lvl.2
Flight distance : 233993 ft
United States

very nice, thanks for the video
2015-10-23
Use props
Joseph Bobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Great job Tim.
2015-10-23
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

Great video!  I think there should be more for other topics...  Especially for rookies like myself....
2015-10-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules