Notes from UAS 101 Seminar I attended
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Some notes I took from the Drones / UAS Seminar aka: UAS 101

I just took the notes best I could and I can't read my writing for a couple bullet points.  If I figure those out I will add them to the list.

The Federal Aviation Safety Inspector Went over Illinois FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) as who to contact with questions regarding UAS questions.  Illinois is generally covered by 4 FSDO's:  Chicago, Dupage (for collar counties) and SPI for the rest of Illinois except for 3 counties near St. Louis.

He stated that the FAA is dedicated and "excited" about the new technology and are trying to increase NAS (National Air Space) access for budinesses through modification of current rules for UAS, Federal, State and local laws.

He said they are now processing 333 excemptions faster than they are coming in which was not the case before. He said that you should apply for your COA and your aircraft registration at the same time you apply for the 333 excemption so you will be ready to go. But he also said (as we knew) they are working hard to get the new small UAS law (107) in place by next summer. The new law would not require a pilot's license but instead a certification earned through testing (renewed every 2 years).   When this happens a lot of the 333 excemption process will be thrown out the window.

He went over the differences between the hobbiest, civil and public levels of UAS use.

He talked about how they would respond to incidents when asked or invited by the local authorities.  And with that the questions started coming in from the 30 or so Police officers from different communities "how do we know when we see a UAV in operation, if the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization?  He, the inspector specified that they have determined (interpretive rules) that the only such organization meeting that criteria is the AMA.

He said in answer to questions from the Law enforcement personnel in attendence that if they have a feeling that someone is flying an aircraft in a non Model / Hobbiest method they should pull out the AMA Guidlines and go down the list.  If the operator of the aircraft is not following an item on the list then they would need to provide the proper documentation (from the 333 exemptions).

He also talked about the program they have with states, locol governments and private sector called the "No Drone Zone".  They get registered and if you are caught taking off, or landing at one of these places it would be the same a trespassing.  He also noted that this does not mean that they cannot fly over the land but they just cannot land on it.

He was telling officers that they should be informing the public (uav operators) and not arresting them.  If they are operating outside the bounds of the AMA guidlines have them show you papers or have the land and not take off again.  If they refuse, he said to take pictures and video and they will start an incident report and do their own investigation to see if it was legal or not and properly imposed warning or fine.

One Airport security officer asked if there was something they could use that would shut one down if they saw it coming?  He said, "no there is nothing, and he has not heard of anything other than what everone else hears on the internet about the laser cannon" and he then said "other than shooting them with your gun?.... and By the way just so you know it is illegal to shoot down ANY aircraft".

One question was asked: how is the 5 miles determined and he said "good question.....".  But the consensus is that it is from the end of each and every runway.

A couple airport managers asked about the procedure to document calls related to drone use within the 5 mile radius and whether or not to file a "notem?" (I am not sure of the term or if I heard him correctly).   He said he files one everytime someone calls and he says it is alright.  He said it was a cover your a__ document.

Also the FAA guy said that if you call the Airport and or/ control tower and tell them where you will be flying and they say no that it is not good idea.  If you fly anywasy you will be in violation and will write you up with an incident and it will be investigated.  This was in the iterpretive rules along with the AMA being example of the Communitiy Organization.

So, the gist of this for hobbiest is to get hold of the guidlines for AMA.  But there are a lot of the guidelines that are talking about staying behind flight lines etc.  How on earth to we deal with that?  I can see a officer asking me why I am not behind a line and where is the rope to keep spectators back?

I am not sure about all the AMA guidlines and how to interpret some of the.  So anyone thinking about starting up a National Recognized Organization?  Now would be a good time..

Edit: the part I could not remember and read notes well was State of Illinois set up Task force August 18th with its agenda finished by July 1st, 2016 to tackle, Property Rights and Privacy Issues. Task force made up from 22 different agencies / industries.  See This

2015-10-13
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Cool. So interesting.
I'm glad everyone seems to be discussing this rationally (apart from the police).
2015-10-13
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Sir Edward K,  thank you for your information!  It's good that cops are getting information,  not arrest, but inform.  I like idea regarding testing as opposed to part 333.   AMA needs to update their guide lines with respect to quadcopters needing less space than RC Planes,  IMHO, Quads are safer due to limited speeds and the ability to hover.

I most certainly would join a Nationally Recognized Organization that is more pertinent to the quadcopters!
2015-10-13
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

One question was asked: how is the 5 miles determined and he said "good question.....".  But the consensus is that it is from the end of each and every runway.

I read in one of the FAA documents (who knows which one of the many) that when there are two intersecting runways, the distance is measured from the intersection of those runways.

There are some definitions that need to be specified in the law.  For instance, I've been told that at a smaller airport, the distance is three miles, not five.  I've also been told that at our airport, it is 1.5 miles.  Some specific clarifications are needed for each and every airfield, and they are needed now.  If every airport is declared a 5 mile NFZ, I can't even take off at home, or at the field where the dealer takes people to be sure they can fly their bird.  Things are WAY too vague right now.

BTW, I find the 3 mile visibility rule to be way too tight for operations like this.  I'm never more than about a third of a mile from my bird.  Fog can be 2 miles away, and the rule would shut me down, even though it may be sunny and clear here.
2015-10-13
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Thank you for this promising information, i am glad its not going to be lock it up and throw away the key !
2015-10-13
Use props
henry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52457 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.  Cheers.
2015-10-13
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I guess I have a question about this paragraph. "Also the FAA guy said that if you call the Airport and or/ control tower and tell them where you will be flying and they say no that it is not good idea.  If you fly anyway you will be in violation and will write you up with an incident and it will be investigated.  This was in the iterpretive rules along with the AMA being example of the Community Organization."

What if any appeals process is in place to get an answer as to why  "you can't fly here" ? If you call and the only answer you receive is NO, where is the accountability?

In over 50 commercial helicopter photographic flights, one occasion I had the manager of BWI operations get shitty with me about a flight that had a flight plan filed 48 hours in advance. When I called to question why, now an hour before my shoot, I was being closed down, the response was because I said so.

I had a couple of thousand dollars on the line between the helicopter time, the gyro camera mount and the mechanic sign-off on the gyro installation.
I burned up the phone lines to JFK control center and finally two hours later I got to fly. I didn't get the shots I wanted, but it was better than nothing and I broke even.
2015-10-13
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-10-13 19:06
I guess I have a question about this paragraph. "Also the FAA guy said that if you call the Airport  ...

Yes, I agree, it was talked about for a while and basically the FAA guy said it is up to the Airport as to determine their safe operations.
2015-10-13
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-10-13 21:06
Yes, I agree, it was talked about for a while and basically the FAA guy said it is up to the Airpo ...

So we have an un-elected King. Whatever they say goes?

Good thing they aren't covered by sovereign immunity.

Like I described above, my flight plans were filed 48 hours in advance. The manager waited until an hour before my flight to make notice he was cancelling my plans.  It was a good thing that I keep copious notes and log all my phone calls. The manager had a hard on for aerial photography as well as the aerial banner guys.

My local airport is a part time operation. I've introduced myself to the manager and demonstrated the quad and hexacopter for him. He was very receptive.
2015-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules