Waypoint >500m options
2066 4 2015-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Just getting into this hobby with a Phantom 3 Advanced. So far, so good.

One of the things I had hoped to do is set up some waypoint missions around my property. Goal is to take periodic videos throughout the year and create a sort of "time lapse" video with changing seasons. The property is in the hills and has some great views. Been playing with the simulator in the GO app and watching videos to learn about the Waypoint functions.

Problem I am having is the 500m limit. Seems you cannot set a waypoint further than 500m - about 1500ft away.

I would like to cover a decent amount of acerage, where each side of property runs more than 1500ft. It is all still "line of sight" flying" as the area is fairly open (no obstacles). Obvioullsy I could fly the route manually, but autopilot makes operating the camera easier. Having a saved route would also make for a much more consistent flight path over the course of the project.

Are there any options? Can multiple waypoint missions be strung together to get around the 1500ft limit? Is there other software that can be used instead of the DJI Go app?

Running all iOS gear so an Android soluiton will not work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2015-10-14
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Edited to add...

Playing around with the simulator, it seems total distance of the mission can be up to 5,000m. That would solve some of my problems. I had read limits of 500m (among other numbers) for a total route.

Still, the 1500ft from home limit may need a workaround. If there is no other software that can do this, I might have to set up multiple missions, physically changing the home point for each one. Would be easier to do one continuous mission around the property.
2015-10-14
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

http://flylitchi.com/

Sorry Android only, but the best APP available
2015-10-15
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

Hey everyone...

What a frustration!
Also interpreted the 5000m wrong!

My normal missions involve flying within line of sight some 5 to 11 km in one direction.
In the past I had an assistant drive the car while I controlled the Inspire 1 and the camera.

So I thought I could fly to my first waypoint, mark it and bring the bird down, not switch off, drive to the next waypoint, take off and mark the waypoint and so and so on for 5000m.
What a let down!
Out in the sticks with full battery packs and raring to go... with a soft dry hot wind at my back I take off for the first waypoint.
I mark it...
I return to my landing spot so that I can travel to the next waypoint position...
aaaargh!
As the aircraft touches down everthing is lost!
I try several times... it does not work.

Okay...
So another strategy...
I take off and mark the first waypoint...
I fly to the next change in direction some 300m or 400m away...
I mark the waypoint....
I fly to the next change in direction....
I try to mark the point.... aaaargh! the APP tells me I'm more than 500m from my home point!

So where does the 5000m come in?
I was prepared to divide my 6 km mission into separate portions, say at direction changes...

I am totally frustrated!

2015-11-25
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , jrm11
When you fly the "Way Point",the toal distance is limited to 5000 m .And all your way points should be below 500 meters away from the Home Point .
2015-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules