Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 Pro Bitrate Increase ***PETITION FOR INFO FROM DJI***
123Next >
9272 84 2015-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I think most people gave up asking DJI to improve the bit rate.  Some people saw a shiny new camera and decided to buy it.  Others saw the comparison videos with the X3 and saw no improvement in image quality.  The X5R looks like the real upgrade in terms of image quality but who really knows.  I guess we'll see when the comparison videos come out.
2015-10-25
Use props
healbunny
lvl.3

Canada

the x5 really need improve bit rate to at least 100mbps to match 16mp and MFT sensor
2015-10-25
Use props
Capt_M
lvl.1

United States

healbunny Posted at 2015-10-26 00:45
the x5 really need improve bit rate to at least 100mbps to match 16mp and MFT sensor

100 mbps is not going to cut it.

60 mbps is 3.5% of quality of actual image ( raw 4k at 24 fps)

Pro cameras give you 50% at least, something like 500 Mbps is what is needed..
2015-10-25
Use props
grisnjam
New

United States

Capt_M Posted at 2015-10-26 02:24
100 mbps is not going to cut it.

60 mbps is 3.5% of quality of actual image ( raw 4k at 24 fps)

I would point you to the Panasonic GH4's 100 mbps 4k video mode, which is really good.  With proper implementation 100 mbps can provide very high quality 4k footage.
2015-10-26
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

grisnjam Posted at 2015-10-26 10:02
I would point you to the Panasonic GH4's 100 mbps 4k video mode, which is really good.  With prope ...

100mb 422 would fit this camera for the price range.  The noticable compression artifacts would dissappear too.

2015-10-26
Use props
Capt_M
lvl.1

United States

grisnjam Posted at 2015-10-26 10:02
I would point you to the Panasonic GH4's 100 mbps 4k video mode, which is really good.  With prope ...

It has a horrible quality for any high-end job. You can't grade or color correct if you didn't get it right.

All pro cameras - Red, Black Magic etc give you at least 300-600 Mbps so you can save your shots and fight noise in shadows.. 100 mbps over 60 is lgoing from 3.5% to 6% not even 10 or 20%
2015-10-26
Use props
Capt_M
lvl.1

United States

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 2015-10-26 11:14
100mb 422 would fit this camera for the price range.  The noticable compression artifacts would di ...

220 Mbps for 1080p provides good quality, but now you are talking 4 times more resolution in 4k..
2015-10-26
Use props
SimplePanda
First Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Seems like this won't happen based on what we're finding out about the X5. Given the chip they put in it (A9), what's been shipped is basically what we're going to get. At most we could hope for some improvements to the colour science or processing, etc.

Still hopeful that the X5R delivers the goods, I guess.
2015-10-26
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-26 22:14
Seems like this won't happen based on what we're finding out about the X5. Given the chip they put i ...

2015-10-28
Use props
MichaelRoth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 288297 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

i think we have to wait for a copy of the X5 with 100+ bitrate called X7 and doubled in price
2016-3-4
Use props
vonbaron1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Its easier to dump DJI then wait until we're all very very old waiting for something better.
2016-3-4
Use props
Shayd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Bitrate will not be increased because the processor inside the camera would need to be more powerful therefore more expensive and more power-hungry . It's like asking them to make camera 8K Trough a software update.
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Shayd Posted at 2016-3-5 00:44
The Bitrate will not be increased because the processor inside the camera would need to be more powe ...

It is what it is and newer versions will be better than the older versions.The X5R is pretty awesome at 24Gbps.
The SD card is still 60Mbps.
2016-3-4
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 18:50
It is what it is and newer versions will be better than the older versions.The X5R is pretty awesom ...

UPS............

As you know - I am not the first to critizice DJI - but if this answer is official DJI answer to us who have bought X5 for video at a price of 2500 euro - I am really scared.
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-5 03:09
UPS............

As you know - I am not the first to critizice DJI - but if this answer is officia ...

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You purchased a X5 knowing what the specs are and now there's an X5R with better specs that will be available soon,
All I was saying is new products come out all the time and the newer products will have better features.
How does that make you "Really Scared" as you say?
2016-3-4
Use props
steve
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17269813 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

I own an X5. I would rate it's video capability as a huge disappointment. Sure it has an MFT sensor, but start comparing the bitrates and flicker and color depth and such with the GH4 and you'll see they are not in the same league. I have given up trying to use it for 4K.

That being said, when using the Autopilot software from Autoflight the Inspire is such a joy to fly I'm still hopeful they get things right with the X5R.
2016-3-4
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 20:14
I don't understand what you are trying to say. You purchased a X5 knowing what the specs are and n ...

It make me scared when a DJI representative have such a defensive attitude and says that a product " is what it is " - that is not true at all. All of us following the debate around X5 and video quality knows that it has to be done a lot of work from DJI to take out the full potential of the X5. If you meant it just hardware wise - it is so obvious that it should not need to be written.

NB - I have never complained about the X5 specs
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-5 06:32
It make me scared when a DJI representative have such a defensive attitude and says that a product ...

I was talking about it is what it is when new products come out with better features.
If you read the post I responded to they were saying the processor in the camera would need to be more powerful. That's why i said it is what it is, meaning as newer products come out they will be better then the older ones, hence my statement "it is what it is".
2016-3-4
Use props
teamnest1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

The X5R has a lot to prove...
2016-3-4
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

The update in bit rate would make the X5 more in line with other Micro Four Third cameras like the GH4.
2016-3-4
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Here's a scenario for you..

Customer rushes out to buy the latest, greatest just announced product. Much effort is made to express just how amazing and shiny this thing is and it's ability to transform your very existence.
Customer waits patiently while said product is "Coming Soon"
Product arrives in the customers hands - in a blur of enthusiasm the internet is awash with the brilliance of said product.

A few weeks pass - more considered eyes are cast over the output of said shiny new thing and the cracks start to appear.
Forums fill with Customers asking "Is anyone else having this issue?"
In a rush, fellow customers all flock to their shiny new things to see if there is a problem.
Support are unprepared or unaware of the issue - advice is given to 'send it in for repair' or 'wait for the next firmware update'.
Customers patiently await the waving of the magic wand.

Meanwhile our original Customer (or group of customers) start to compare their shiny new thing to other people's shiny new thing from another vendor.
Envious gazes are cast at technical specs and comparative (subjective?) assessments of the quality of said shiny new things.

Appeals are made by the collective customers to the manufacturer - ' Change our shiny new thing! Make it just like the other shiny new thing!'
Manufacturer announces an even shinier new thing as 'Coming soon'. Great promises are made as to the shininess of the new thing coming soon and just how more amazingly shiny it will be compared to the shiny thing that the customer originally purchased, advising that the original shiny new thing wasn't that shiny really.

Just a scenario, at least this sort of thing doesn't happen in real life!

Oh, wait...
2016-3-4
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.3

The issues with the X5 are not the bitrate right now.  The bitrate is not the problem although it is a limitation.  It is a limitation that we need to accept.  The problem is all of the other basic issues that have not been solved with the X5.  DJI releasing the next shiny new thing is not going to solve the problems with the firmware/hardware on the X5 or the X5R.  Those problems are unacceptable.
2016-3-4
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-5 00:24
I was talking about it is what it is when new products come out with better features.
If you read  ...

Got it - thanks for clarification.
2016-3-5
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-3-5 02:17
Here's a scenario for you..

Customer rushes out to buy the latest, greatest just announced product ...

Yes - this is how it works

Great for us that are tech junkies ............ but wallet suffers

2016-3-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-3-5 10:35
The issues with the X5 are not the bitrate right now.  The bitrate is not the problem although it is ...

And what issues are you experiencing on the X5, you said the problems are unacceptable so what specifically is not working correctly on your X5.
And you also said X5R but I know that you do not have one of those so what issue are you talking about the X5R?
I can tell you the X5R is amazing, so tell me how you say their are problems with the X5R?
2016-3-5
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-5 17:03
And what issues are you experiencing on the X5, you said the problems are unacceptable so what spe ...

X5 - Picture quality.. the sharpness or lack of it. DLOG & Cine are awful.
White balance isn't quite perfect.
Plus it resets the exposure settings every time you power down.
We need a full screen shot replay / review.
There's been no firmware update for over 2 months!
Plus DJI reduced the output speed in the name of safety & then released the phantom4 with a ridiculously faster top speed.

2016-3-5
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.3

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-6 01:03
And what issues are you experiencing on the X5, you said the problems are unacceptable so what spe ...

The manual white balance isn't even close to being correct outside of a daylight balance.  I want to be able to use it in tungsten lighting and you can't right now without relying on AWB.  This is unacceptable for a camera and should have been fixed a long time ago.  It's simple math.  I'm hoping that I don't have to buy the X5R just so that I don't have to rely on AWB.  

The high ISO flickering is something that I have never seen in any other camera..  I've seen all kinds of chroma, luma, fixed pattern, and macro blocking noise in other cameras and I know how to deal with it, but I don't know what to do with the flickering.  What is the cause and will the X5r solve the problem?

Dopeytree lists some other issues.

I would like to add the that the contrast control for the picture profile is really odd and not useful.  Rather than changing the slop and knee so that we can still get a full range of encoded values, the contrast just crushes or expands the base values.  Therefore, decreasing the contrast just reencodes the 0-100 IRE into 5-95 IRE or something similar.  Increasing the contrast just clips everything that used to be at 0 and 100.  Who thought this was useful?  It's not necessarily an error, but it makes me think the camera software group has never used a contemporary camera.  I don't have a clue what they thought they were doing with the log profiles.

But really, just fix the white balance, the high ISO flickering, and get the X5 working on the Osmo and I will be perfectly satisfied.
2016-3-5
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.3

Switzerland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-5 18:03

Really? Do you read the problem threads in this forum? -.-
There are a lot of problems this camera have!
2016-3-12
Use props
Editart
lvl.3

Sweden

domidragon90 Posted at 2016-3-12 18:07
Really? Do you read the problem threads in this forum? -.-
There are a lot of problems this camera ...

Hi all

This is a repost from another topic on the DJI forum, but I wanted to show you guys in this thread how my X5 behaved the other day. Results are pretty horrible if you think of what this X5 camera costs. I don’t think its a faulty unit, for me its the bottlenecks in the firmware. I just don’t know what to do. Obviously the X5 will never compare to the RAW power of the X5R but at least I would like to have something in between. Thoughts anyone?

______

Took the X5 and the Inspire1 out for some filming today. Experienced severe problems with the X5 camera. Artifacts and the overall image quality of the X5 video was just poor. It’s simply not good enough. I want to return the X5, I can’t use it in my line of work? How do I go about returning It to you at DJI, will you accept it? Or can you promise an update that actually will fix the X5 camera problems?

I have attached a few native H264 4K clips from the X5 here to show you whats going on.
Camera settings:

Lens: DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7 @f6
Resolution: UHD 30fps
Shutter: 160
ISO: 100
Color: LOG
Style: Standard
White balance: Cloudy
Encoding: 59.97 mbits/s

DJI support(or just any DJI representative), please respond. Please show us In the community some respect.

insp1_X5_4K_30fps_ISO100_test1 (severe problems in the shadows(noise, posterisation, encoding artefacts and so on)
insp1_X5_4K_30fps_ISO100_test1

insp1_X5_4K_30fps_ISO100_test2 (severe posterising in the shadows inside the silo, details are completely destroyed. My old iPhone5 does a better job)
insp1_X5_4K_30fps_ISO100_test2

insp1_X5_4K_30fps_ISO100_test3 (compression problems, probably due to to much information for the 60mbit codec to handle. fine details etc)
insp1_X5_4K_30fps_ISO100_test3

I believe the provided examples clearly shows that this Semi Pro X5 Camera does not deliver what it should be able to. Its not acceptable, I’m just so disappointed.

DJI, If you were me, what would you do?

regards
Mike
______

2016-3-17
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.3

Switzerland

Try ISO200. ISO100 seems to be buggy (Again)
2016-3-21
Use props
MichaelRoth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 288297 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

please update the X5 or replace it for all owners by a PRO Camera (X5R?), the performance now is really POOOOOOOOOOOR!

thank you!
2016-3-21
Use props
Editart
lvl.3

Sweden

domidragon90 Posted at 2016-3-21 23:38
Try ISO200. ISO100 seems to be buggy  (Again)

ISO200 it is! Thanks domidragon90.

regards
Mike
2016-3-22
Use props
HELJO Productio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 872362 ft
Germany

Even after the latest firmware update the image quality is bad.
the darks are really noisy even in good light
the white balance is an absolute disaster, any amateur camera can set the AWB better than this camera. the hirizon is always far away from being straight even after calibrating several times on a straight ground
pls do something!

2016-3-22
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

If you are you looking for 100/mbs at 4K get the Typhoon H.  They are shipping at the end of this month.

http://www.yuneec.com/Typhoon-H
2016-3-22
Use props
Mike9129
First Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

This might sound like a silly question, but who actually makes the cameras for DJI?

is it all inhouse? or is it a sensor from a 3rd party rebranded?

ive personally no experience with them apart from wanting to own one. i really really want to buy an X5, but just from looking at the video quality i dont know if i can
happily hop on board with the quality for such an expensive camera.

that being said, fair play on the drone, its pretty top notch, its what your trying to put onto it seems to be dragging it down.
unless you spend twice the money on the X5r, which by all accounts looks amazing. i just wish that your pro-sumer version of the
inspire 1 had some clear advantage over the base version, like any other camera company seems to have managed.

2016-4-2
Use props
woodyjamesdp
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Domidragon are you there?
2016-4-7
Use props
woodyjamesdp
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Your reply to Editarts footage examples- saying use 200 ISO. I've been pulling my hair out since getting the Inspire X5 with flickery footage- exactly the same as his showed.

However, I haven't heard anyone say try ISO 200 before. Does this really fix this flickery problem? I've only used it at 100 ISO up to now.

I've also found that when using full manual mode (which I thought would be the only way I would use it) - something is still auto changing the exposure going from light to dark. So using it on shutter priority and AE locking stops this, but still, it shouldnt be like this!

But going back to the ISO setting for flickery footage would love to hear any more of your thoughts and experience..

Thanks in advance
2016-4-7
Use props
woodyjamesdp
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Editart, did you have any luck sorting this issue?

I have exactly the same problem- flickering images.. Did the 200 ISO advice from Domidragon fix it? I havent tried 200 ISO, but have almost come to the conclusion that it's just this bad- and that's the way it is.

Would love to hear your thoughts and experience with it.

Thanks

Woody
2016-4-7
Use props
matt
lvl.1

Canada

Sign me up for that petition. If the x5 was able to deliver the same quality as our GH4s I'd buy it and the OSMO in a second. I really thought the x5 would be a home run, but as it is, I can't justify the cost of the x5r (even though it looks great) and I can't accept the issues with the regular x5 either.
2016-4-19
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.3

Switzerland

woodyjamesdp@gm Posted at 2016-4-7 18:40
Your reply to Editarts footage examples- saying use 200 ISO. I've been pulling my hair out since g ...

Hi Woody

He said it fixed the noise for him, have a look on his post after mine.

It's really the ISO100 who is buggy again. I had this problem with the Fw1.4 for the first time. 1.5 was clear, but very unsharpen.

So my experience with the X5?
I'm kinda love this cam and hate it in the same time. With correct settings and a good scenario, a little bit luck - you really can get awesome footage out of it. But if the scenario not that good, the image quality is going to be a mess for that kind of camera.
All the problems with the firmware is the other side of it. Needed so much time to test this camera, after every update just to find out it is still buggy somewhere. And it's not buggy in functions you don't need, it is mostly buggy in functions you really need. That's what I call it is unacceptable for the cost of the camera.

I can't go out to a costumer with a good feeling to take some good footage, because there have to be always too much luck in the game to get what you want out of the cam.

Additionaly, there is so much I still missing. Peaking for Andorid, bette focus side scroller (actually you can't do a smooth focus pull while recording, it always stuttering), auto focus on a object and hold it, the possibility to set a focus point A and B as a focus automation. etc...

The 60mbit is a limitation, but it is not the problem of the x5 and everyone should knew this limitation who bought the camera. ;)

If every else is fixed, I'm happy again, but until then...

2016-4-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules