6307 18 2015-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Phantom made the news again. Today 10/15/15 there is a news article on MSN.Com about the Battle Drone Defender. It is a Rifle that has a Yagi Antenna and barrage the Quad with Radio Waves in the 2 and 5 Gig range and will take the Quad out of the air. The article states that it is inexpensive. There is a Video of it in action with a DJI Phantom.

Here is my immediate thought. There is a lot of Electronic Equipment such as Cell Phones, Hospital Telemetry, etc. that also operates at those Freqs. It will be interesting to see what the FCC has to say about this. Under the FCC Rules and Regulations you cannot emit harmful RF interference.
2015-10-15
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Rifle?  Sounds more like a shotgun from that description.  I suppose they will market that to militia groups and others with a fear of black helicopters.
2015-10-15
Use props
our0borus
lvl.2

United States

I'm guessing the  Yagi Antenna is supposed to make it more directional so it won't interfere with anything other than what it's pointed towards.  
2015-10-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-15 08:35
Rifle?  Sounds more like a shotgun from that description.  I suppose they will market that to militi ...

The antenna is mounted on a rifle type stock so you can aim it at the Quad.
2015-10-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

our0borus Posted at 2015-10-15 08:35
I'm guessing the  Yagi Antenna is supposed to make it more directional so it won't interfere with an ...

A Yagi is somewhat directional in nature. It has to be oriented in the desired direction. A Yagi also give the user a lot of RF Gain 9-12 dB normally. However, the signal keeps going beyond the intended receiver. The amplified signal keeps on going. Who is to say that the person that posess' the device is not using it far malicious purposes.
2015-10-15
Use props
our0borus
lvl.2

United States

I'm picturing something like this...
BigAssAntenna.jpg
2015-10-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

our0borus Posted at 2015-10-15 09:17
I'm picturing something like this...

You are close guy
2015-10-15
Use props
rene.vandermeer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is the article on ms.com
Anti-drone rifle shoots down UAVs with radio waves
I will probably only interfere with the RC signal when the drone is nearby.
2015-10-15
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It is still considered jamming and would be illegal.  Also, since all they are doing is jamming the signal, the drone is still happy and will simply do a return to home with loss of control signal.
2015-10-15
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-10-15 10:30
It is still considered jamming and would be illegal.  Also, since all they are doing is jamming the  ...

You are correct, it's jamming.

If used by the government, the FCC will look the other way.

Blocking all GPS within 1000 yards won't be good , neither will interfering with the ISM 2.4 Ghz band. Medical devises may be affected as well as all Blue Tooth.

Fear not though, our leaders will be protected. After-all, that's what government does best, taking care of themselves.

Same thing NYPD and DHS are doing with the roving trucks with the mobile xrays blasting everyone and everything along their path.
2015-10-15
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-15
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I am quite certain this "gun" is NOT FCC approved.  They should be reported to the FCC and FINED for making a device which emits harmful radio emissions that potentially causes a law abiding Quad Pilot to loose control of his craft and crash it into people or property.

This device is constructed for the sole purpose of JAMMING radio signals which is strictly forbidden by the FCC.  THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW!
2015-10-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The how about this one, the description calls it a US company, but it is clearly German:

What a bunch of jerks, all that tech to melt a harmless Phantom out of the sky! These companies are just as bad as the irresponsible drone pilots they are claiming to protect you from, putting up these ridiculous systems in the hope that some over-zealous idiots will buy them.

2015-10-15
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

FEAR TACTICS, You got ballz ? WE WILL CRUSH THEM.
2015-10-15
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

The company that built the unit, Batelle is working as a US government contractor, so they can pretty much do what they want until someone gets injured.

Screw all that advertisement from the above link.

2015-10-15
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-15 18:00
Be careful what you say around  gil. He'll accuse you of wear tinfoil hats.

Tinfoil?!?  Do they actually still make that?  Heck, mine are made with 100% Reynolds aluminum,  felt lined for comfort and decorated on the outside with a stylish Tattersall plaid.
2015-10-15
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-15
Use props
gil
lvl.4
United States

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-15 21:52
Wheres the reply to my other comment?

Nah.  The sole purpose appears to be a baited hook.
2015-10-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-15 21:16
Tinfoil?!?  Do they actually still make that?  Heck, mine are made with 100% Reynolds aluminum,  f ...

I have two pair.
2015-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules