Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Strong wind training at low altitude.
2640 16 2015-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

I sometimes train in high wind. 3 days ago was in low altitude with a 40-45 kmh steady wind.
I think it is important to train in high wind. Just in case that happen in an important production and being safe and 100% in control.

I would like to know how high wind you can contol your Phantom.

2015-10-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually, you are tempting fate to fly a 1K consumer quadcopter in high winds. It's not made for that!

But if you insist on doing so, I'd say the maximum should be 20 MPH (and that's the higher gusts).

Winds at 200 feet high can be 50% or more stronger - and your Phantom cannot fight those...which means it may blow away.
2015-10-16
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

I thought I saw something published by DJI that a speed in the low 20-mph range (like 22 MPH) was more or less the recommended limit for flying. That equates to about 35 kph wind speed.

I personally would not try to fly in a wind anywhere beyond that speed.

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-16
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-17 09:06
Hello,DJI? My Phantom blew away.I think it had something to do with the latest firmware.

Actually, we've lately seen a lot of similar incidents.....one guy sent his back because it hit trees when he was trying out follow-me....through the forest!

DJI actually took care of him....which, of course, they had no obligation to do.
2015-10-16
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Yeah, I have heard some crazy stories.
2015-10-16
Use props
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

I pilot helicopter for 20 years and drones for 6 years. For me and my team it important to train in extreme conditions because you never know how suddenly that can happen to you while you are in a middle of a flight mission.
2015-10-17
Use props
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-10-16 19:17
Actually, you are tempting fate to fly a 1K consumer quadcopter in high winds. It's not made for tha ...

I know all those facts.  My pilot team and I are training rarely in those high wind extreme conditions. Extreme conditions can happen without warning while you are in the sky. If you are not trained and prepared to react according to sudden extreme conditions you can be in trouble that is for sure.
That is why high wind are part of our regular training for my pilots team and I.
Of course I do not recomand this high wind training for a beginner. For a Professionnal Pilot it is essential to learn and control a high wind situation that can happen anytime without warning in the sky.
2015-10-17
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-17 09:34
I know all those facts.  My pilot team and I are training rarely in those high wind extreme conditi ...

I completely agree. You need to know how to fly in atti mode in wind.

Today I was flying in gusts on the surface up to 20 mph, this is officially recorded. It was interesting to fly in. I found it was safer to land in atti than GPS mod, the P3P was being knocked about 6' all around in GPS mode, In atti I could hold it better than the GPS near the ground.

I have flown drones for 5 years now and my non phantom drones all have manual mode, now that is interesting. Just like flying a model heli, you need to constantly correct and never let your eyes wonder from the model even for a second or you may loose it.

But flying these models makes you realize how easy the phantoms are to fly even in atti.

I can easily see if a new pilot takes off in gps and the wind is 10 mph or so on the ground, not really windy, but then you climb to 300' and the wind may be 30 mph. Now if you loose GPS lock or happen to flip the switch by mistake a lot of pilots would call this a fly away. But if you are comfortable and can feel the wind it is a piece of cake to deal with.

I highly recommend flying around in mild wind to start in atti mode to get the feel of the wind. Just drifting with the wind is a great way to shoot video as well. Before I had good gimbals the brushless ones we had servo driven gimbals that were very slow reacting, so wind drift shooting was the best way to get smooth video. Or just get up to speed and then drift in calm wind was also a great way to shoot. Now we are all so spoiled. Until something goes wrong that is. Then we are often confused and unable to cope with a simple situation really.
2015-10-17
Use props
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

Westside Osprey Posted at 2015-10-17 16:16
I completely agree. You need to know how to fly in atti mode in wind.

Today I was flying in gusts  ...

100% with you Westside Osprey. I demand all my pilots to be able fly and control their drones without GPS with 100% control and accuracy.
Everyone must know how to fly without GPS assisted control. That does not mean you dont have to use GPS to know where you are in the sky. To be a real good professionnal pilot you must be in 100% of your flying machine at any time. With or without GPS assist. Atti is a must to learn and control 100% in any weather conditions.
2015-10-17
Use props
daviskw2004
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-17 16:14
100% with you Westside Osprey. I demand all my pilots to be able fly and control their drones witho ...

I don't think it wise for someone new to try flying Atti in a strong wind. I believe calm would be better until they get the hang of it.... I only say this because I have had trouble controlling a bird in strong wind and Atti mode... then when switching back to GPS mode even in the strong wind I had no problems at all in control.

I am curious why Atti would be better in a strong wind than in GPS mode. Does the aircraft have more speed in that mode? It seems pretty cut and dry that in order to control the aircraft the wind speed has to be slower than the top speed of the Phantom. Otherwise it would just be blown away with the wind.

I am claiming no expertise and not contradicting the more experienced pilots here... justy trying to understand.

Butch
2015-10-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-17 12:06
Hello,DJI? My Phantom blew away.I think it had something to do with the latest firmware.

Yes, and I demand that DJI send me a new Phantom!
2015-10-17
Use props
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-17 18:32
I don't think it wise for someone new to try flying Atti in a strong wind. I believe calm would be  ...

Butch

The concept is to be in full control of your bird. Atti give you more control than GPS if you are in trouble because of unexpected wind condition when you fly.

Yes Atti give you more control than only GPS assisted control. At least ''you'' are in control,,,,not the bird.

GQ.
2015-10-17
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

In gusty wind GPS mode will drift around a lot, I mean 6-10' at times right at ground level. And GPS is slower than I am at reacting to gusts.

So landing in nasty gusty conditions is much less likely to end in a tip over if you are proficient at flying Atti mode. You can hear and see gusts coming GPS can't.

I am not advocating starting to learn Atti mode in bad conditions. Start in small wind like 5-10 mph, take off and get the feel for correcting for the drift, it is really pretty easy. If you are worried about takeoff then do it in GPS climb to 30' or so and turn to atti, now watch the drone drift and work on keeping it in one place. It becomes natural after a while. Slowly you can build up to higher winds.

One nice thing about flying and filming in atti is all your moves will become smoother, because only you control the drone. Stops are not so sudden, they slowly drift to a stop instead of a sudden tilt back to stop when you center the right stick looks much better when you are close to objects than the jerks from the GPS.

Also at some point you will loose GPS so you should not be taken by surplice when this happens, it should just be routine.
2015-10-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Westside Osprey Posted at 2015-10-18 11:31
In gusty wind GPS mode will drift around a lot, I mean 6-10' at times right at ground level. And GPS ...

Good advice.
2015-10-17
Use props
mydogisdead
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8250568 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I flown at 15-25mph winds to get decent footage of kite surfers. fly at a height of 100- 150ft above their kite strings along with a zoom lens to look as if I was close enough. I didn't use a hood as I found that the winds would effect the stabilizing and vibrates. I gave myself at least 20feet of clear landing space and flew at speeds of no more then 20mph or follow the direct speeds of the kite surfer...  

2016-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules