Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New FAA proposal, full registration
2458 18 2015-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

Hot off the MSM presses.

New FAA registration

Looks like someone is going to get their wishes. The FAA is supposedly moving to require registration of all UAV's.

With the efficiency of government, it will probably take 60 days to perform the registration by which time, either the UAV will have crashed and forgotten about, or there will be a bunch of ticked off people about why it's taking so long for registration before they can pick up their new purchase.

I guess little Johnny or Jane won't have a UAV under the tree this year.

2015-10-16
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-17 09:02
We already have to pay rent for the dirt we own under our feet. Now we'll have to pay rent for the s ...

You actually do pay a lot per breath if you check the amount of respiratory illness in the USA - which we all pay for (individually and the society also).

The constitution does not guarantee a free ride.

Dirt? Heck, entire states like WV you don't even own the coal or minerals under your property. The Robber Barons made sure of that!

Maybe DJI will have it automatically register when we sign in the app the first time?
2015-10-16
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Thanks for the news link.
2015-10-16
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

Yup its hammer time!  

Do we have to pay yearly registration fees ? do we have to keep records ? can we start earning money ? can we slit our throats now ?
2015-10-16
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Or it's just a insane marketing campaign to increase sales.  Ever heard that the sale of guns gets a sudden peak whenever there is even a rumor of some new gun control legislation?
2015-10-16
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Unfortunately, We all knew this would inevitably happen.

"Manufacturers and developers need to police themselves before they provide the government with the public (negative national media attention) ammunition to take the control away from them. Again all of this is just my opinion."

A quote from a post that I wrote to the Autopilot developers on the P2 forum back in May.

And you're dead right Willy, here comes the beuaracracy! Fees, educational requirements, records, annual or quarterly reports, maintenece records, restrictions, little stickers for your birds. Last, but by no means least, fees, licensing fees, taxes, permits...money, money, money, money! Of course only the law-abiding citizens of this country will grudgingly submit, the bad guys ain't registering shit! Once again we have allowed our government to squash private innovation, exploration and the pioneering spirit. Maybe it really is time for Bernie Sanders...

All just my opinions, of course.

Jerry
2015-10-17
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-10-17 08:49
Unfortunately, We all knew this would inevitably happen.

"Manufacturers and developers need to pol ...

IMO, registration isn't going to make UAV flight safer. The same stupid stunts that occur on a daily basis will continue by the same stupid people. I yet to see one UAV that was encroaching on Class B, or C airspace, filmed, not one. With all of the airspace encroachments that have occurred in the past year, the only recorded events I've seen were the UAV's over the California wild fires.

Again, IMO, flying in an area of a forest fire and impeding operations should be treated the same as if you park illegally at a fire hydrant. The fire department breaks out your window, drags hoses thru your car and makes sure to wash the inside for you. Oh, and you get the ticket.

UAV's shouldn't be treated as aircraft, because they aren’t.  Once the UAV reaches the 55 pound weight limit, they should require the transponders, training requirements, and licensing.

Applying a registration number on a quad won't stop the behavior. The people that are causing the problems won’t register. Requiring the posting of a registration number won’t work, as beyond 25 feet, you won't be able to read the numbers anyway.  It might aid in the event of a crashed unit to identify the owner, but I doubt it.

Until the proposal is released, we can all speculate what's included and how it’s going to work, but once government gets their collective noses involved, it isn't going to be good.

2015-10-17
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-10-17 09:09
IMO, registration isn't going to make UAV flight safer. The same stupid stunts that occur on a dai ...

Gregg,

I totally agree.

Jerry
2015-10-17
Use props
grangerfx
First Officer
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

The question in my mind is where do they draw the line? Will this include the tiny micro drones? What about a Bebop? It is my hope that there will be a class of drones which are considered small enough to not pose a threat to any manned aircraft or people on the ground. That portion of the drone market will grow greatly. I really want a tiny GPS controlled drone that is too small to hurt anyone but I can use to play with autonomous flight. Put the cutoff at 1 pound and 1 foot maximum dimension.
2015-10-17
Use props
DaGunn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

Full text of their regulations must be posted in the Federal Register, with a defined comment period, before it can take effect.  Should prove interesting as both Google and Amazon have drone usage ambitions.  
2015-10-17
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

DaGunn Posted at 2015-10-17 16:31
Full text of their regulations must be posted in the Federal Register, with a defined comment period ...

Per law, they have to publish in the Federal Register with a minimum 30 day comment period. To run this game out, I'd suggest waiting until the last week to comment, as comments have to be cataloged.

You can and should also request a paper copy of the proposal, which will overwhelm the office.

We all know how efficient government is, so when you can't dazzle them with brilliance, you baffle them with bullsnit.   

After the Kabuki theater period, unless something gross pops up, it will become administrative law.

Just remember, only Congress can make laws. The King can use Executive Action, but will expire at the end of term.
2015-10-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Laws can be threatened, passed, posted and publicised. But that does not make them enforceable. And I suspect that with the huge number of drones out there, no-one has the staff to enforce it either. In most cases, the government agencies simply want the laws to be in place so they can be used if necessary. It does not mean they will go out after you. Responsible drone pilots will make sure they do not attract attention, and therefore have little to fear.
2015-10-17
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

The Biggest losers ($$) will be manufactures like DJI.  When restrictions go above and beyond sales drop and the bottom line falls big time.  

A valiant effort Gregg but it will probably fail and registration will become mandatory under the law.  

Heck DJI already has registration information on every drone they've sold.
2015-10-17
Use props
JerEl
lvl.3

Poland

I don't think at the present time the FAA has any authority to make any rules concerning hobby aircraft.  Congress has specifically denied them that authority.  For commercial operators, yes.  Hobbyists, no.  Congress can change the law and due to all the bad publicity and the actions of a few idiots that will probably happen but highly doubtful that it will occur until after 2017.

If you're wondering how they can fine folks at the present, it's because they are using existing laws like endangerment (to people or property) or interference with other aircraft.  Most of these are civil violations but they do have ways of collecting if you don't pay up.

I would have to question the source of that article and whether it is a proposed rule or proposed law.  I'm just not convinced it has to do with the hobby use of aircraft flying LOS.

I browse a lot of forums and it's amazing the amount of idiots out there asking questions that are fully covered in the manual and suggested flying rules discussed online over and over again.  Especially since DJI added certain limits.  Also, don't they read or watch the news about these supposed close encounters by drone users?  The AMA also published a paper that showed that very few of the "sightings" listed by the FAA were actually endangering any aircraft.  Just because they "see" a drone (or think they do) doesn't mean that it was a dangerous encounter.
2015-10-17
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.3

United States

this is the Department of Transportation proposing this, not the FAA
2015-10-18
Use props
Phuglie
First Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

.. and what the US does the UK will soon follow too! I'm happy to be registered.
2015-10-19
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.3

United States

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-10-18 14:14
this is the Department of Transportation proposing this, not the FAA

The FAA is an agency of the DOT, so it really doesn't matter which one proposes these new laws or regulations.
2015-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules