New FAA Rules on the way!!
2146 37 2015-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
silverxrider.me
lvl.2

United States

Just saw a news report from NBC News with Lester Holt that the FAA has announced new rules for Drones will be forth coming in a few days. One rule will be that all drone owners will be required to register their A/C with the FAA. Not sure if this will be retroactive or just apply to new owners. There main focus is to be able to hold the owner accountable for damage or violation of no-fly zones. Seeing as how DJI has everyones email that registers one of their craft a simple court order would provide them with the information they want. If this is true I might have to build a homebrew copter, as big brother sticks his nose into our business too much already.

2015-10-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yes I saw that too.
2015-10-16
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

A hobby ruined by stupid people.  I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
2015-10-16
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-10-16 22:33
A hobby ruined by stupid people.  I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Wait till you see the rest of it. I am cleaning my phantom and getting it ready for eBay, it was fun while it lasted.

I am sad that the USA has turned into a dictatorship with an all seeing eye, freedoms crushed and values smashed, voices muted.
2015-10-16
Use props
rowland.hunter1
lvl.1

United States

We the people ARE the government. Why should the people running it be afrade of themselves?! Our society has bred nothing but manipulative zombies. We must take this country back.
2015-10-16
Use props
fvnaguib
lvl.3
United States

May be there is something i didnt see here, why you are upset from this new rule? Not all the drones are phantom and not all the companies do email registration. Its actully make me feel safe because i saw lot of atupid poeple do stupid things with thier drone. Its exactly like owning a car, a drance can be as dangerous as a car.
2015-10-16
Use props
fvnaguib
lvl.3
United States

Sorry for the typo, using my phone *
2015-10-16
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Oh calm down.  Just because you have to register your Phantom is not the end of the world.

You register your car.  You register your boat.  You register your plane.  You register your wife.  (marriage.)  Now you register your drone.  So what?
2015-10-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

"Seeing as how DJI has everyones email that registers one of their craft a simple court order would provide them with the information they want."

The FAA has no power to force DJI to provide that information, as the FAA has no jurisdiction over Chinese companies.
2015-10-16
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

You can have my phantom as soon as you pry it from my cold dead hand
2015-10-17
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-17
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It does no good unless there is a crashed drone to track down.  The only way it would mean anything is if they were to register a code embedded in the RF signal.  Of course, if they 'shoot it down' with one of the new devices that basically lands it on the spot, they might have something.  I've got no problem with registration.  As the saying goes, stay legal and don't worry.  BUT, the laws have to be reasonable, or people aren't going to follow them.
2015-10-17
Use props
launchpad72
lvl.1

United States

The only issue I have with this is the price for the registration to follow. Don't care if the FAA has my info, just shouldn't have to pay to do the same things RC planes do for free. Last I checked my DJI is an RC helicopter with a camera..........

Nice to hear I went from a hobbies to a criminal over the weekend!!
2015-10-17
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

rowland.hunter1 Posted at 2015-10-17 11:51
We the people ARE the government. Why should the people running it be afrade of themselves?! Our soc ...

Unfortunately the majority either want something for free(so they think) and vote accordingly and or are stupid. We are the minority. We are no longer a republic. I will continue to operate as such, but many do not.
2015-10-17
Use props
SeanSchick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24852 ft
United States

More information here.   Gov't will create drone registry
2015-10-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-18 04:51
The frog in the kettle. Theyll slowly chip away, and when its gone,you wont even know it happened.

Not for me friend, I live in Australia where we have a more enlightened version of FAA, called the CAA.
2015-10-17
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

this is the Department of Transportation proposing this, not the FAA
2015-10-18
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-16 22:28
"Seeing as how DJI has everyones email that registers one of their craft a simple court order would  ...

Not only that but aome of us may not have used an email that is traceable back to us. Even gmail doesnt attach to your address or real name unless you let it.
2015-10-18
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

This is like the government trying to take our firearms.......good luck with that one.......My view is "fly responsible, you won't get on the radar, no need to register".
2015-10-18
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-16 23:28
"Seeing as how DJI has everyones email that registers one of their craft a simple court order would  ...

If they want to continue selling their products in the US, they will be forced to comply with regulations.
2015-10-19
Use props
Phoenix Outdoor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34016 ft
United States

Well it's not freedom unless the government has control of it.  (Rolling eyes)
2015-10-19
Use props
oldpeach
lvl.1

Canada

What's scary is .. This is step one.
The next steps will be requirements for vendors selling products to have built in restrictions tighter than what is in them now.. 120 Meter height limits max instead of the max 500 override. No fly zones extended 5 miles around air ports, include aerodromes like helicopter, sea plane air bases , internal logs that cant be deleted ... Mater of time before they force manufactures wanting to sell drones in our countries  to make changes like these.

All because some want to stretch the limits of an accountable pilot.
2015-10-19
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-10-19 01:42
This is like the government trying to take our firearms.......good luck with that one.......My view  ...

Many years ago I had a friend who worked for the Orlando Police Department. He was once called by an attorney, stating he was going to take a deposition for his client, whom my friend had stopped on a DUI. My friend asked "Have you seen the videotape?" End of case.

Fast forward a few years.

I saw this morning that a state-level politician here in Florida wants to enact legislation to prevent convicted pedophiles from using drones to "spy" on children. The law prohibits sexual offenders from being near children (and places where children congregate, like parks). I intend to write this representative a letter and ask her "Have you seen what can (or can't) be seen with a drone?" When she discovers that the typical drone in the price range of the Phantom 3 (and it's similarly priced competitors) does NOT have zoom lens, maybe she'll back off somewhat.

I fly in a local park. Under normal circumstances I think I could quite easily show I'm not spying on anyone, much less checking out the kids. But it would be somewhat a bummer to be questioned every time you put your bird in the air.

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The idea of registration doesn't bother me. The thought of it being the beginning of extreme rules and fees does. Registration is fine and may get at the root of the people that do foolish things that harm the rest of us.

On the DJI Data Base, there are other manufacturers also. DJI is popular and therefore they take the hit every time something happens. All of the incidents do not involve DJI products.
2015-10-19
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

"Seeing as how DJI has everyones email that registers one of their craft a simple court order..."  

I do not think an email will connect 80% of the owners.  I have 5 emails and most do not have any real information about me.
2015-10-19
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

"Seeing as how DJI has everyones email that registers one of their craft a simple court order..."  

I do not think an email will connect 80% of the owners.  I have 5 emails and most do not have any real information about me.
2015-10-19
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

rowland.hunter1 Posted at 2015-10-16 20:51
We the people ARE the government. Why should the people running it be afrade of themselves?! Our soc ...

Good luck with that..."the revolution will not be televised"!
2015-10-19
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-10-16 20:54
Oh calm down.  Just because you have to register your Phantom is not the end of the world.

You regi ...

Amen.  Everyone settle down.  For all of the crazies on here, maybe attach a gun to your drone and calm you have 2nd amendment right to bare drones....

PS. Are you still wasting your time priming your batteries?
2015-10-19
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

I have to register the "receiver" of my firearms ... what part of my UAV is the "receiver" in this case?

My Flamewheel is comprised of parts from 5 or 6 shops, which parts need registered?
2015-10-19
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2015-10-19 13:36
The idea of registration doesn't bother me. The thought of it being the beginning of extreme rules a ...

Well said - my feelings also!
2015-10-19
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.2

United States

Something tells me dji will be grounding birds unless they are registered too.... Only time will tell, but when u talk politics and big money the outcome is usually not good....
2015-10-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The way I read it is that the FAA has taken a long time to come up with anything simply because it is such a complex issue that it has taken a long time to come up with an effective regulation strategy. All the media is doing is fueling speculation about what will happen because it makes good news. And I bet that civil aircraft regulation authorities in other countries are waiting to see what the FAA does before formulating their own approach to this.

Most of the media reports are hysteria, the FAA knows that, and a lot of the supposed drone sightings have been birds, not drones. And for that matter, birds are still a far greater risk to aviation than drones.

DJI do not have to co-operate with any law enforcement agencies in the US, they are a Chinese company and can thumb their nose at the US any time they like, unless you have not noticed, the US and Chinese governments do not see eye-to-eye on many issues as it is. As for not being able to sell drones in the US if they don't comply, DJI have been responsible in developing firmware to tackle the issues of their own volition, I don't see any of the other makers doing it?
2015-10-19
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

So...  What about micro drones?  What about a Syma X-12 that fits in the palm of your hand and is flown indoors.  Are those going to need registration too?  How about kites and paper airplanes?  Good luck with that DOT.    Let me know how that goes for you...  ;-)
2015-10-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

countrysidegard Posted at 2015-10-19 13:22
Something tells me dji will be grounding birds unless they are registered too.... Only time will tel ...

it's going to be in the next firmware, total clamping down on our phantoms to the max.
2015-10-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-10-19 13:21
Well said - my feelings also!

Thank you. The Government has deeper pockets than we do.
2015-10-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

countrysidegard Posted at 2015-10-19 13:22
Something tells me dji will be grounding birds unless they are registered too.... Only time will tel ...

Just another Tax. On the bright side once registered and tracable it may curb the recklessness of others and that would be great for those that are responsible in their actions.
2015-10-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-19 18:45
The way I read it is that the FAA has taken a long time to come up with anything simply because it i ...

True, DJI has built in many safety features and I for one appreciate it. I feel more comfortable when flying.
2015-10-20
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

A few of my drones have seen the  LAST official DJI update.
2015-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules