Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered
12Next >
3952 71 2015-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pidetectives
First Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is this true?
2015-10-17
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

[media=x,970,580] http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-n ... -registered-n446266[/media]
2015-10-17
Use props
homedad
lvl.3
United States

I saw something on GMA where it's supposed to happen before the end of the year. I think it's inevitable as there are too many irresponsible people flying. I love flying my Inspire but it's not worth risking the life of a single person.
2015-10-17
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

homedad Posted at 2015-10-17 09:22
I saw something on GMA where it's supposed to happen before the end of the year. I think it's inevit ...

I agree and I don't have a problem with that.
2015-10-17
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Heard something will be announced this Monday the 19th
2015-10-17
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

This is getting as bad in the US as buying
A gun. DOT stated they wanted to register
All drones by December of this year. Why?
To me it's none of their business if I have and fly
A drone or not. I don't have a drone, I have a UAV, the Inspire 1.
And I bet it will cost to register it on top of that so they can
Make some more money during the process. Same as guns in.
Register your guns and drones so the government can come
And get them anytime they want.
2015-10-17
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think is a way to know who's drone it is in case a minimal or catastrophic incident occurs.
2015-10-17
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.4
United States

I don't have a problem with that. I just don't  want  to be hassled every time someone driving by while I'm flying call the police and say I'm flying a drone. I have always followed the rules and the FAA. If it is to protect us fine. If it's something that will hurt us all I'm not OK with it. I'm with you although I still don't trust what's going on right now.
2015-10-17
Use props
pete1144
lvl.4

United States

I like the idea...if someone tries to give me a hard time (when I am flying legally), I'll flash my permit in their face. The point is...our government does not move that quickly. It will take several months to just design an official form to fill out...and more committees to figure out how much (and how often) we need to pay a fee. This is probably a trial balloon to get public reaction.
2015-10-17
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-10-17 15:44
I like the idea...if someone tries to give me a hard time (when I am flying legally), I'll flash my  ...

I agree I posted this on another forum it applies here.

I have been in the hobby of model aircraft and flying RC for almost 60 years I am abhorred by all of this crap. to promote a flying camera, on a rc quad as a drone is ludicrous and absurd. The government has drones . Drones are used to kill people. People hate drones. The Government loves all of this, another way to bilk money and create another bureaucracy to gather money and control, and harass. The word drone might as well be the word gun, because that is the way it is going to be viewed, I cant believe that this is being done to a beautiful hobby. I am assuredly glad that I got to enjoy the hobby from the beginning of RC, it was wonderful, I always knew that there would be a day when the government and a few idiots would ruin it for everyone, Since RC conception we have always had the ability to fly say, over the altitude limit, or in an unsafe area, or even attach camera's, Lose control and hit some one or something. Beware if the idiots dont ruin this or the liberal press, stupid ass politicians will, that is what they do. Have you ever heard of false flags, Do you remember the one several years ago that the fbi set some idiot up to to fly something into the pentagon or something, they set him up with a ducted fan, I mean come on, it would barely carry its own weight and do you think this idiot could fly a ducted fan into a target, give me a break, I knew right then that a beautiful thing was going to end in hysteria. Beware of false flags, has having a license to drive gotten all idiots off of the road? Or prevented wrecks, vehicle homicides ect. Not.
There are rules if you cant follow them and use common sense then you are dealt with. I do not by the way refer to my flying cameras to people as drones, I refer to them as quads with cameras and or flying cameras. People do not know how to react, they say isnt it a drone. I say to them, that drones are used by the government to kill people, and to spy on you, I use this to take Ariel pictures it is not a drone. Maybe if we would quit referring to our flying camera platforms as killing machines we could get a better reception.
2015-10-17
Use props
vonbaron1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

If they want me to pay for it, I'll tell them to take a flying leap at ..................... well,  u know.
2015-10-17
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-17 17:11
My response to people who use the word "drone" to refer to my aircraft is...
"Drone? No... Drone i ...

Good for you Paul, we are playing psychologically right into the controller-gods hands by calling Wilbur a drone  
2015-10-17
Use props
mtnred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-17 16:11

Paul ,Why do you have to be so in peoples faces .I followed and supported you with under the trees guy, but enough .I am a Brit as well and dealt with people like you who get so passionate about spotting trains and planes .Lets get real here and post great advice and help only .
2015-10-17
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-17 19:31
It seems to me that you are being "in my face" for making a joke.

Yes, I do use the joke when peop ...

somebody let me in on the joke
2015-10-17
Use props
mtnred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-10-17 20:24
somebody let me in on the joke

Amen.Paul ,please lets keep this board to help every one .Why u are still up UK time .Can u not sleep .
2015-10-17
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.4
United States

I have always said UAV in our case and not drone. Look up the definition of the words.
In my case I have always referred to my Inspire as a UAV. They can call it what they like.
I know it's for the money we will have to pay as I stated above. Yes it could help police
Find out who's it is, like the idiot who flew his into the yard of the White House. Come
On., people yes we support and help each other here and some of us are beta testers,
The need to register our UAV's to me is just plain stupid. Let's register cooking pots, pans,
And everything else to so the government can make some more money. Also, a lot of that crap
About drones flying in the way of firefighters is not true either. We researched it out. They
Wanted to push something and they did.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/what-is-a-drone-anyway/

2015-10-18
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

jlivingston6@ve Posted at 2015-10-18 06:33
I have always said UAV in our case and not drone. Look up the definition of the words.
In my case I  ...

The Idiot that flew into the white house lawn was a drunk secret service agent it is called a false flag
2015-10-18
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-17 19:11

The World decided Paul. The World always decides, as influenced by the media. You'll be hard pressed to changed the name.
2015-10-18
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-10-18 09:12
The Idiot that flew into the white house lawn was a drunk secret service agent it is called a fals ...

Sorry, but your facts are wrong.
2015-10-18
Use props
ibdronin
Second Officer

United States

Our government (USA) trys to control everything. Who is really worst? Russia or the USA? I mean we have more laws than most countries combined. What about R/C airplanes is this next? Before you know it, I'll have to pay a tax each time I wipe my a*&.  I'm taxed to death, no kidding and even on my land the taxes would blow your mind! Do we ever really own anything. You own your land outright and still have to pay taxes. Don't pay your taxes it goes up for auction. Yeap good old USA! Home of the brave for sure but home of the free? Who are we really kidding.

This is not what Americas about. Another reason we need to take back American and doing it with the right president! There is no way to police drones, there is not enough man power and I don't see them having it setup to register by Decemember. It's all talk right now, or at least I think but it can come true in time!
Drone issues should be handle in a case by case incident. Not trying to police the country! Lets get serious here!
2015-10-18
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.4
United States

Look guys, you are all right. It's just in my case and the way I feel
That this issue is really stupid and is going to be implemented to
Get more money for the government. I jusT want to fly and take
Pictures and videos. Why all of a sudden would we have to pay
To fly? The RC people have been around for a long time and they
Don't. Registration will cost and it will produce another database
For someone to crack and get info on all of us. I'm not going to talk about this
Anymore as there is not really anything we can do about it. It is
Slatted to be announced on Monday and to be implemented by
Christmas. Hahahaha. Yea.......
2015-10-18
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

ibdronin Posted at 2015-10-18 10:40
Our government (USA) trys to control everything. Who is really worst? Russia or the USA? I mean we h ...

IB___

Please provide valid sources to all the assumptions your making in above post. Otherwise it's just a Rant. Also try to keep on topic, DJI UAVs. Your USA bashing is best served at the polls on election day. If you vote, if your a U.S. citizen and if your old enough.

Have a nice day.
2015-10-18
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-18 10:30
Yes. I do understand that and in my later post, I gave the whole answer that I usually provide when ...

Your preaching to the quire! My point was that the people of the world decided base on their intelligence sources. It's nice to see your making progress in your local community.

Best
MR  
2015-10-18
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

homedad Posted at 2015-10-17 09:22
I saw something on GMA where it's supposed to happen before the end of the year. I think it's inevit ...

New to the forum and DJI.  I've graduated up to an Inspire 1 that is on it's way.

I agree.  The actions of a few are affecting those of us that follow the rules and fly responsibly.

Up to until recently, I figured we (as "hobbyists") would not be affected as we're covered under Section 336 of Public Law 112-95.  These rules are also referenced on pages 45-48 in the FAA's Small UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM).

The NPRM is mainly targeted on commercial UAS operators and how to regulate them.  Unfortunately, it seems that non-commercial recreational flyers will now have to comply with some of the rules such as registration, etc.  (See pages 10-12 on the NPRM link for a summary as 55-56 for a comparison to Canadian rules).

Good or bad, I think that there will be some sort of certification/registration in the near future for everyone that flies UAS, commercially and recreationally.  This, due to the number of past incidents involving UAS where the flight went awry.  The media and the public are up in arms about it and the government is stepping in to "fix" the problem (and score more of our $$).

It will be interesting to see how they plan on "fixing" the issue.  Registration will only identify those who fly responsibly and within the confines of the rules.  IMO, the idiots won't comply and the outcome will further degrade my opportunity to fly for fun.  What they really need to do is ENFORCE the current rules, i.e. 400' ceiling, maintain LOS, not within 5 miles of an airport without notification, etc.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLA ... /PLAW-112publ95.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/uas/nprm/
2015-10-18
Use props
ibdronin
Second Officer

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-18 22:47
> I'll have to pay a tax each time I wipe my a*&.

You mean you DON'T????

Hey @PaulKerry  lol you got me there. Yes we pay taxes on everything except farm feed for the animals. lol before you know it the USA will want to install a device on the toilet so each time you sit down and flush it charges for # 1 and #2.  It truly disappoints me to see our government get so involved. I know some here on the forum think it's a great idea but it isn't! We are becoming more and more like Russia in the cold war era. Our government doesn't need their nose in everything we do. Handle it case by case. Pass a few minor laws and that's it. Not make everyone register their drone like it's an AK47. My lord!
2015-10-18
Use props
alan
lvl.3

United States

Here is the NY Daily News generating drone hysteria. The man in question was flying a 6x6 inch toy and the newspaper uses a large hex as an illustration.

Daily News - DC drone

"A man was cited for flying a drone (similar to the one pictured) that crash-landed near the White House. The man said he was trying to take pictures of the Washington Monument."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how the Washington Post covered it:

A District man was cited by police Friday for flying a small drone near the Washington Monument and landing it on the Ellipse, adjacent to the White House, authorities said.

Sgt. Anna Rose, a U.S. Park Police spokeswoman, said the incident occurred about 1:30 a.m. Friday. She said police seized the 6-by-6-inch drone and issued a criminal citation to the man, identified as Howard Solomon III of the District. His age was not provided.

Authorities initially said two people were cited, but a later statement lists only one person as being charged. Solomon was not arrested but will have to appear in court. The fine is $85.

Rose said there is “no indication of anything nefarious” on the part of Solomon.

[This has happened before: Drone crashes on White House grounds]

She added that Solomon was spotted near the Washington Monument with a controller in his hand. A statement says the drone — described as an F182 6 Axis Quadcopter — crash-landed on the Ellipse and was retrieved by Secret Service agents. The drone sells on the Internet for between $40 and $80.
2015-10-18
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

Midnightrider Posted at 2015-10-18 08:02
Sorry, but your facts are wrong.

clarify the facts then dont be sorry
2015-10-18
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-10-18 17:31
clarify the facts then dont be sorry

Still sorry but If your going to post then perhaps you can clarify by doing due-diligence and provide some valid sources to your statements.  Otherwise it's just dis-information. The individual who crashed his UAV on White house grounds was not a Secret Service Agent. He was a drunk employee of the Geo spatial-Intelligence Agency. They map things.  

There are many sources of information on this story. Here's just one.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/us/white-house-drone.html?_r=0
2015-10-18
Use props
ibdronin
Second Officer

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-18 14:23
> before you know it the USA will want to install a device on the toilet so each time you sit dow ...

@Paul are you truly serious? That is crazy. Our water bill is about $35-$50 a month and that is running thousands of gallons of water each month for the farm animals and residence.
2015-10-18
Use props
mtnred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-18 18:02
See for yourself.

http://www.ccwater.org.uk/watermetercalculator/

Looks like the new law is happening .It was on my news channel this morning .This is a link but not what I saw today https://fstoppers.com/aerial/faa ... n-every-drone-92813 .I like the idea,we pay for our cars,boats ,so way not our drones . I think it is a good thing .If someone hit my car or a family member ,I would like to find out who was flying .Same as a  plate on a car ?
2015-10-18
Use props
mtnred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Looks like the new law is happening .It was on my news channel this morning .This is a link but not what I saw today https://fstoppers.com/aerial/faa ... n-every-drone-92813 .I like the idea,we pay for our cars,boats ,so way not our drones . I think it is a good thing .If someone hit my car or a family member ,I would like to find out who was flying .Same as a  plate on a car ?
2015-10-18
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Media hype again.... I am sure that something will come from this. We will have to wait and see.

Did you notice they used the Inspire 1 for the main picture....

Rich
2015-10-18
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

jlivingston6@ve Posted at 2015-10-17 08:48
This is getting as bad in the US as buying
A gun. DOT stated they wanted to register
All drones by  ...

Registering your guns does not stop the stupid person from getting one illegally and pull the trigger. Either will doing this with the drones. This is not possible to enforce the law for the folks with legal registration.. it is the guys that are braking the law that ruin it for everyone else.

We need basic Guidelines and Rules, but just tell us that registration of drones will solve the problem is super ridiculous.  

Rich
2015-10-18
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112451 ft
United States

I wish I had time to click on all the links, but I don't.  Could someone summarize the current info?

1.  Does this apply to all UAVs or just ones with cameras (IE are RC planes included too?)
2.  Is there a weight threshold, over which the UAV would be required to be registered?
3.  Are there any other rules other than LOS, 400' Ceiling, >5miles from an airport?

If there is ONE link that addresses my question, then please post and I will read it, but a summary to above is really all I want.

At the risk of making a statement w/o fact, it does appear to me that this has less to do with safety and more to do with revenue.  I can think of only a handful of UAV vs. People accidents that resulted in injury and I can't think of any that were really serious.  Just because of that, though, I don't think this potential law is without merit.  I think because we can literally fly our UAVs off our back porch (something that is harder for traditional RCers to do), this is why laws are being created potentially just for vertical takeoff UAV operators.  I cannot overlook the popularity of our hobby, though.  Most anyone can fly a copter out of the box, whereas I'm sure most couldn't fly an RC plane.  This goes back to the notion of revenue vs. safety and the genesis of the law.
2015-10-19
Use props
teamnest1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

50% of me wants this to pass
50% does not want this to pass

I think this might finally put a grip on dumb actions performed by dumb operators
But then again, I don't want the government looking at the responsible pilots as a profit center.

Dumb operators are still going to fly, unregistered or not.
2015-10-19
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

Midnightrider Posted at 2015-10-18 17:15
Still sorry but If your going to post then perhaps you can clarify by doing due-diligence and prov ...

Well excuse me what the hell is the difference it is still a false flag by a government employee  to take your rights, create a new money source, and secure their paycheck I assume you support that.
2015-10-19
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-10-18 22:21
Registering your guns does not stop the stupid person from getting one illegally and pull the trig ...

How many people have drones killed (other than government drones)  this is a power money grab and a precursor test to seize guns  this is total hysteria results of a police state and liberal press.   
2015-10-19
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

naildrivingman@ Posted at 2015-10-19 03:47
I wish I had time to click on all the links, but I don't.  Could someone summarize the current info? ...

naildrivingman,
The below is straight off the FAA's website for recreational UAV (model aircraft) ops.

•Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
•Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
•Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
•Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
•Don't fly near people or stadiums
•Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
•Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

What comes next is anyone's guess.
2015-10-19
Use props
HFI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

I really wish there was some pro PR on "drones/UAVs" for once. Joe public a blissfully ignorant of what most people use these crafts for ( taking stunning aerial photos and videos ) and just see them as potential threats which should be shot out of the sky on first sight.
2015-10-19
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-10-19 10:12
Well excuse me what the hell is the difference it is still a false flag by a government employee   ...

Ranting and Raving here will get you no where. Take it to a Political Forum where your Intelligence or in this case lack of it, will be brought to the light. Pushing out Bad intelligence whether deliberate of not is Dis-information. That I do not excuse.
2015-10-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules