Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
flying with carry on
1228 19 2015-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tommycbaker
lvl.4
United States

hey guys i recently ordered a backpack so i could use it as carryon when i fly. my question is.  do i need to carry the batteries OUTSIDE of the backpack seperately?
2015-10-17
Use props
ag0n
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't think so but you can't carry them in checked baggage.  Immediate ban on them in checked baggage from FAA according to news a few days ago.
2015-10-17
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-10-17 10:19
I don't think so but you can't carry them in checked baggage.  Immediate ban on them in checked bagg ...

I've flown several times with my P3P inside a Think Tank bag (carryon) and 5 spares.  TSA inspectors have not once took a second look or questioned me.  I don't check them.
2015-10-17
Use props
ralinebe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 276952 ft
United States

Hey, I just flew United Airlines to Hawaii last week with my P3A and I carried it on. I was a bit nervous because this was my first flight with my Phantom. I have two batteries and detachable prop guards. I order a $45 soft packpack off ebay (link below). I also bought a lipo safe fireproof pouch for my spare battery. Put the other battery in the phantom. I placed the props and the prop guards in my checked bag just in case because the props are sharp. On the way to Hawaii and back they didn't even question me about my bag. I guess they are used to seeing Phantoms at the airport. Good luck!

$45 Back Pack

2015-10-17
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.4
United States

ralinebe Posted at 2015-10-17 22:08
Hey, I just flew United Airlines to Hawaii last week with my P3A and I carried it on. I was a bit ne ...

so I just ordered the backpack. as carryon.  I cant just put the batteries in the allotted slots?  I have to separate them with lipo bag?
2015-10-19
Use props
RC Noob
lvl.1

United States

I recently took my P3P + 3 batteries and other gerar in DJI hard shell back pack as carry on to Denver and back.  Nobody cared or showed interest.  Must be very common place for airlines and TSA now.
2015-10-19
Use props
ralinebe
lvl.1
United States

tommycbaker@swb Posted at 2015-10-19 13:05
so I just ordered the backpack. as carryon.  I cant just put the batteries in the allotted slots?  ...

Yeah you can.  I had one in the Phantom and the other one in the slot in the bag. TSA did even ask me to open my bag or anything. Just to be safe because it was a ten hour flight, I placed the one in the slot in the lipo bag after I pass through the TSA checkpoint. I didn't want any accidents during the flight. Also, I had two zip lock bags in my backpack just in case they asked me to separate them which didn't happen. I've heard other people say they taped the battery ports or place them in separate zip lock bags. I just used every precaution because it was my first time... How many batteries do you have?
2015-10-19
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.4
United States

ralinebe Posted at 2015-10-20 01:35
Yeah you can.  I had one in the Phantom and the other one in the slot in the bag. TSA did even ask ...

I have 3 batteries
2015-10-19
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.4

Sweden

tommy,

i have a P3A & 3 batteries. i use the DJI hardshell to fly quite frequently . I just leave my batteries in the slots in the bag and that is that... depending on the airport & staff, it attracts varying levels of attention. most are just interested in seeing the P3 as they think it is cool. i had to take it out of the case a few times just because the security staff want to see & ask questions about it. the people behind me in line often seem to wear thin of patience, but i love educating people on it as much as i can.

once i was told "please don't fly it in the plane" --- NO SH!T -- was what i was thinking, but obviously i replied "of course i will not do that"

rules across the world state that the batteries are to NOT be checked in, that's about it. the batteries for the P3 do not overstep the legal limits for carrying them with you. (if you look around the threads, the math has been done) I normally carry a few sheets of printed documentation depending on where i am going, just in case someone should question me.

at the time of writing this, i must have had the P3 with me on at least 20 flights since the end of May.
2015-10-20
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.4
United States

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-10-20 03:32
tommy,

i have a P3A & 3 batteries. i use the DJI hardshell to fly quite frequently . I just leave ...

flyhigh, ty so much and everyone else that answered my questions.  I feel much better about taking it with me on flights.
2015-10-20
Use props
sroufe7
New

United States

Chris from CineChopper, has said make sure you bring them on the plane with you and not to check them.  You shouldn't have any problem, he takes close to 15-20 batteries on the plane without a problem.
2015-10-20
Use props
ralinebe
lvl.1
United States

Ok, that shouldn't be a problem.
2015-10-20
Use props
johnny fiveo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2997710 ft
  • >>>

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-10-20 16:32
tommy,

i have a P3A & 3 batteries. i use the DJI hardshell to fly quite frequently . I just leave ...

Hello, Plan On flying to South Carolina beaches in July, want to take the Phantom.  What documentation is there regarding the drones or batteries?  Thanks!
2016-6-14
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

johnny fiveo Posted at 2016-6-15 07:52
Hello, Plan On flying to South Carolina beaches in July, want to take the Phantom.  What documenta ...

https://www.faa.gov/about/initia ... more_info/?hazmat=7
https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... s_and_batteries.pdf

And check your airline's website ... search for batteries
2016-6-14
Use props
designengine
New

United States

I flew a few times w/ drone as a carry on too.
2016-6-14
Use props
johnny fiveo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2997710 ft
  • >>>

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-15 06:24
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7
https://www.faa.gov/about/ ...

Thank you!
2016-6-14
Use props
dabassham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 176936 ft

I much appreciate all the input here!  I have driven rather than fly to locations as I did not want to get to the airport and find out I could not carry my P3S in the DJI case as carry on.  My case is fully packed with 3 spare batteries, extra props and antenna extenders.    I'm planning a trip out to California soon so this is good news.
2016-7-30
Use props
fans593fc987
Captain
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Folks with regards to the Inspire 2 and Carry on Batteries.  I checked the FAA Site and I believe it says we can carry on as many batteries as we want that are less then 100 Watt Hour Batteries.  The Batteries for the Inspire 2 are 4280mha batteries that are 22.8 Volts so that makes these batteries 97.584 Watt Hours.  That being said, am I correct by assuming that there is no limit to the number of Inspire 2 batteries in our carry-on luggage?
Referring to TSA Link
2017-3-4
Use props
fivetonine
Second Officer
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Internationally as well, no problem. Same rules apply - be careful about battery capacity regulations that might be different in other countries.
2017-3-4
Use props
Aussie4220
Captain
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

My back pack has slots for 6 batteries and as long as they are in the slots (separated) there is no issue.  Batteries cant be touching and they cannot be connected to a device.  The P4P batteries are below the 100 w/hr so there is no limit to what you can carry on (not withstanding weight restrictions).  You dont need the lipo bags if you have compartment slots for batteries.  One question - do they ever check the battery levels ie regulations indicate batteries should be at 30% or less.  DO they ever look to see where your levels are at?
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules