Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Inspire test flight demo
2184 9 2014-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jones5r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

My local dealer is holding a demo of the Inspire on Dec 20. They promised I can play with the sticks. Can't wait! Any questions you'll want me to ask the good people at 1UAS let me know and I'll be sure to post the answers. Even though this is the BETA unit I will be observing very closely the characteristics of the unit because I believe the final product will not be much different (less the camera housing). Even though I pre-ordered already this opportunity will be make or break. Hopefully it will show very well.
2014-12-18
Use props
nwellborn85
lvl.1

United States

I'm curious to know if anybody has flown it out farther than 2km.  Also, I'd like to know how low to the ground you can keep it while you venture out.  The phantom loses its video connection fairly quickly if you don't keep climbing in altitude as you fly farther away.  I'd like to use the Inspire to spot local game on a ranch.  It would be nice to not have to be 500+ ft up to look for them.  
2014-12-19
Use props
pkoepnick
lvl.1

United States

I would like to know more about the ground station, can you set waypoints and different heights for the waypoints, stop and hold, bank turn, and adaptive turn, will it be able to do these functions.
2014-12-19
Use props
Zeebadoo
lvl.1

United States

pkoepnick, it looks like DJI will not have ground station support in the initial release. They have hinted at including it in future updates, but it will not be available at first.
2014-12-19
Use props
pkoepnick
lvl.1

United States

Zeebadoo Posted at 2014-12-19 23:26
pkoepnick, it looks like DJI will not have ground station support in the initial release. They have  ...

Zeebadoo  I talked with Atlanta Hobby an authorized DJI dealer on 12/18 and they said the Inspire 1 will have ground station.  
2014-12-20
Use props
Zeebadoo
lvl.1

United States

pkoepnick@comca Posted at 2014-12-20 23:51
Zeebadoo  I talked with Atlanta Hobby an authorized DJI dealer on 12/18 and they said the Inspire  ...

I'm just going off of the FAQ on DJI's website:

"When will ground station functionality be available?"
"The Inspire 1 does not currently support ground station."
2014-12-20
Use props
pete1144
lvl.4

United States

Frankly, Atlanta Hobby is not a totally reliable source of info...they get their information from DJI reps and they don't have official information either.
2014-12-20
Use props
jones5r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

I spent about 2 hours with IntelligentUAS and the Inspire. I actually was about to fly it for about five minutes. The rest of the time was spent playing with the Pilot App, Q&A, and testing some of the features of the Inspire. Here are a few thoughts on my time with the Inspire 1 (BETA):

1. The Inspire is a tool. It looks like a tool and feels like a tool. Makes the Phantom feel like a toy.
2. It's heavier than I thought it would be. Somewhat scary considering there's no redundancy.
3. I wouldn't worry about the camera/gimbal shake. The shake didn't carry to the video. Live feed was rock solid even during transformation. Gimbal is compensation for any oscillation coming from the Inspire during transformation.
4. Real RC pilots looking for a new thrill may be a little disappointed (at least in GPS mode). GPS mode is so dumb down you  hardly need any pilot skills to control this thing. And if you're looking to do mods, this bird may not be for you. Every mod question was countered with a reason why that might not be a good idea. It's also important to note that if anyone (this forum or wherever) ask a question about mods and different uses, DJIs response consistently has been "This may not be for you". I find that interesting. It's about sales, but it's also about putting this bird in the right hands.
5. The Inspire is quieter than the Phantom.
6. During auto take off the Inspire motors spoil up like a single rotor, which I thought was cool.
7. DJI Pilot App needs some work. Maybe that's partly the reason for the delay.
8. Lightbridge had little latency during hand clap test, but during flight video was choppy from time to time at fairly close distance.  This happened at the highest resolution; however, resolution can be lowered in the app to improve smoothness of the video.
9. Inspire is very agile to be so heavy. Auto take off and land are extremely smooth and uneventful.
10. Optic flow vision positioning didn't work in Atti mod even though the guys at 1UAS thought it should. I'm not so sure about that.
11. For some reason I thought the props were CF, there not.
12. In little wind absolutely no drift. Top speed wasn't that impressive in GPS mode but it did cover ground fairly well. Didn't fly in ATTI.
13. Zeiss Cinemizers - Did not get consistent video ( especially for FPV) and didn't overlay OSD via HDMI port. Hopefullly this will be fixed.
14. Somebody please design a hood cover for the Ipad Air 2.   Sun wash was unbearable and the sun wasn't even out.

I'll add more thoughts as they come to me. Feel free to ask questions.  

Again BIG THANKS to 1UAS for holding this event.

2014-12-20
Use props
alex.lute
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1842592 ft
Netherlands

jones5r Posted at 2014-12-21 11:19
I spent about 2 hours with IntelligentUAS and the Inspire. I actually was about to fly it for about ...

Thx for sharing this information!
2014-12-21
Use props
HorizonImagewor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133619 ft
United States

It was good of 1UAS to hold that demo event. If anyone's curious, here's video from that day - it pays more attention to the flight of the machine than it does the ground-side user interface. There are a couple of slow-mo segments so you can see that stability in action.

http://youtu.be/iY8-xv8pavY
2014-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules