Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
D O T News Conference 10/19/15
1844 24 2015-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wjrnys1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 198432 ft
United States

2015-10-19
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.3

United States

I have to register the "receiver" of my firearms ... what part of my UAV is the "receiver" in this case?

My Flamewheel is comprised of parts from 5 or 6 shops, which parts need registered?

All of my UAVs were lost in a boating accident this last weekend.
2015-10-19
Use props
arives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is joke to think that in 6 weeks they will have an operating system to register "Drones".
2015-10-19
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Aww, couldn't you have edited out the first 9:45 where nobody is at the podium?
So, the FAA missed their deadline to come up with guidance so the DOT decides to jump in.

Here's a link to the transcript and the follow on speakers.
2015-10-19
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

Well now, that was a waste of 35 minutes of my life I can't get back.

I understand what they are attempting to do, but UAV registration doesn't tie it back to the operator, it ties it back to the owner. Just like receiving a red light camera ticket. The vehicle was being operated by someone, but under the rules in most states, the owner is presumed to be the person operating.

On a craft the size of the Phantom, the registration numbers would be less than one inch in height, if you have to identify as NXXXXX BS.

Unless the unit crashes and is recovered, your not going to be able to discern the registration number.

No mention of cost for registration, or when the UAV rules come out on a possible operators license.
2015-10-19
Use props
gil
Captain
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-10-19 15:21
Well now, that was a waste of 35 minutes of my life I can't get back.

I understand what they are at ...

"They are working to address them so the rule can be finalized by June 2016."

Sheesh, I wonder if they are going to appoint a new cabinet position with a "Drone Czar".
2015-10-19
Use props
zigmono
Flight distance : 11457 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-19 14:26

Sheesh, I wonder if ...

Are you available?
2015-10-19
Use props
our0borus
lvl.1

United States

Oh man... something tells me the gun lobby is going to throw a dog into this fight and claim it is just a ploy to get a foot in the door so the government can pass some more gun control legislation.   Next thing ya know the ATF is going to include drones so they will have to rename it as the Bureau of Drones, Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco....

D.A.F.T.
2015-10-19
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-19 15:26

Sheesh, I wonder if ...

If looking for the most inefficient way to do something look at the government solution.

Requiring a placard isn't go to fix anything. As I wrote above, just like red light camera tickets. The vehicle was observed violating the law, now how do you tie it to the operator.

In order to regulate, the government had to call the UAV an aircraft. By doing so, it became illegal to smack one out of the sky. I'm sure, just like with the hopped up CB radios of yesteryear, the FCC can triangulate where the operator is. Force a crash on the dam thing if it's observed breaking the law.

Again, you'd think with all of the reports of encroachment, they would have a picture of the unit. It's not like the UAV is going to be traveling 150 mph. The 250 series racers,would never see if they were involved in a crash.

If I had to find a way for accountability, I'd go after the transmitter. Reduce the power for transmission, and go back to the use a of a crystal for the frequency. Go back to the 27 and 72 MHz frequency and PCM transmission.
2015-10-19
Use props
gil
Captain
United States

What!?!  I wouldn't want to get anywhere near that can of worms!
2015-10-19
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand why people are upset.  The problem is that people are abusing the technology/sport.  We see and talk about it on the forum all the time.  This is not about guns, a completely different topic, this is about trying to regulate an industry that has created issues in the national airspace.  Face it,  some drone/uav owners have abused our sport and don't care about the consequences.  We are paying for their actions as a result.  I will gladly register when it happens.  This isn't about Big Brother, it's about being responsible.
2015-10-19
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-19 12:05
So, the FAA missed t ...

Gil, who cares as long as it gets done so we can fly without a multitude of rules.
2015-10-19
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-19 12:05
So, the FAA missed t ...

Gil, who cares as long as it gets done so we can fly without a multitude of rules.
2015-10-19
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

The task force is marking people who do not register as Villains, so that local police can go after them EVEN if they did not do anything!

I suggest everyone get a transceiver implant in there body or get deported out of the USA, this registeration gimmick is not gonna cut it.....
2015-10-19
Use props
iceman58
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9016 ft
United States

What I see them doing is legislation on speculation. In the transportation world, before you can make a rule or regulation you have to show actual cause from statistical data. While I will agree that there are some people that take risks handle a drone in a reckless fashion, the DOT has to show proof before they can legislate on a subject and to my knowledge all they have is hear say on most incidents that are in the airspace above the 500' ceiling. Their has been no serious injuries or deaths that I am aware of to justify legislation. (You can't impose penalties on speculation of what might happen) you have to have proof.

I know many people will say it's a simple and harmless process, but I have spent 35 years in the transportation industry and have seen the DOT at work first hand. They will start out with registration, but soon the whole hobby will be regulated to death.  Maybe there does need to be some new rules and regulations but at least make the regulators follow the laws that they imposed.
2015-10-19
Use props
iceman58
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9016 ft
United States

What I see them doing is legislation on speculation. In the transportation world, before you can make a rule or regulation you have to show actual cause from statistical data. While I will agree that there are some people that take risks handle a drone in a reckless fashion, the DOT has to show proof before they can legislate on a subject and to my knowledge all they have is hear say on most incidents that are in the airspace above the 500' ceiling. Their has been no serious injuries or deaths that I am aware of to justify legislation. (You can't impose penalties on speculation of what might happen) you have to have proof.

I know many people will say it's a simple and harmless process, but I have spent 35 years in the transportation industry and have seen the DOT at work first hand. They will start out with registration, but soon the whole hobby will be regulated to death.  Maybe there does need to be some new rules and regulations but at least make the regulators follow the laws that they imposed.
2015-10-19
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

iceman58 Posted at 2015-10-20 10:21
What I see them doing is legislation on speculation. In the transportation world, before you can mak ...

AMA recently audited the "study" that was presented documenting all of the "sightings" of drones and blew it out of the water. There were sightings as high as 50k feet. Feathered drones. A whole bunch of crap. As a matter of fact, the majority of confirmed near air collisions were from government "drones".
2015-10-19
Use props
usmarine0622
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9859 ft
United States

Zdrone Posted at 2015-10-19 15:00
I don't understand why people are upset.  The problem is that people are abusing the technology/spor ...

I can see why people are upset, I agree people should be responsible for their actions. I'm willing to bet the people out there doing stuff they shouldn't will not register their drones. It's like calling the cops ahead of time before robbing a bank. They know they shouldn't be flying like morons but that doesn't stop them and there's no way they will give the government to way to find them. It's only going to get worse.
2015-10-19
Use props
AssHatModerator
lvl.1

United States

So, they had all these representatives standing in the background showing their support:

The Association for Unmanned Vehicles Systems International;
   The Academy of Model Aeronautics;
   The Air Line Pilots Association International;
   The American Association of Airport Executives;
   The Helicopter Association International;
   PrecisionHawk
   Airmap

Did anybody else notice the glaring absence of anyone from any of the manufacturers ?
2015-10-21
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.4
United States

Looked like a lot of sad old men doing a group hug up there , trying to figure out how to justify their waste of money public sector jobs. Couldn't have  been much more of an empty house.  They have no idea what they were doing up there, some of them were probably trying not to even laugh.
2015-10-22
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-10-19 15:55
If looking for the most inefficient way to do something look at the government solution.

Requirin ...

Yes, and give me your phone number so we can coordinate our flights! LOL

I like the new organization myself - D.A.F.T. - Bureau of Drones, Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco!

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-22
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-22 10:46
Yes, and give me your phone number so we can coordinate our flights! LOL

I like the new organizat ...

Art, I've raced RC cars and boats. At all of the races, you had to register the crystals that you had and the race organizer paired you up with people that had a different frequency.

In the pit, you didn't touch the transmitter or if you did and were observed, they tossed you out.

Yes, the government is DAFT, FUBAR, TARFU and SNAFU. There's a few more, but they are more descriptive than what I've posted.

If you are required to fly within line of sight, a reduction in transmitter power shouldn't be an issue. You're a HAM guy, so you know that power means everything.  If caught violating restricted areas, throw the book at them.

Read a report this morning, that a person claimed a drone was peering in a second story window. They claim they just looked out side and saw the drone and when confronted flew off. No mention of the noise which as you know is quite loud for a peeping aircraft. Oh and the media had to show a DJI Phantom craft.
2015-10-22
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

If I don't want to register, can I turn my Phantom (and accessories) into the Government for a full refund? I would not have made my purchase if all these rules were put into place. This is not about flying safely (which I do and I support). This is about government over-reach and another form of taxation (registration will not be free). The people who are a problem may or may not register - but they will still continue to do dumb things. This is just a way to control and collect money from those who already follow the rules.
2015-10-22
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2015-10-22 12:23
If I don't want to register, can I turn my Phantom (and accessories) into the Government for a full  ...

While it's obviously unknown whether registration will be free or have an associated cost, I don't think it's a given that there will be a cost - or a big cost if there is a fee.

I've been a licensed radio amateur for almost 40 years. Until the vanity call program came into existence, I never had to pay anything for my license. When I got a vanity call, there was a relatively small fee associated with it (paid to the FCC).

Amazingly, a few months ago, the FCC gurus decided it was actually too costly to continue charging for the program and the fees are now in the process of being removed.

Part of the key in administering the new program will be enforcement. Unfortunately, in that arena, the FCC has been more and more lax about enforcement of amateur violations and encroachment into the bands by people not licensed to be there. So now it's free but more polluted, I guess!

Own three quads (a P3P and two others), so I'm anxious to see what transpires as well.

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules