Taking CAA pilot test
1508 11 2015-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Almost ready to get booked on a CAA flight test to get a commercial pilot licence for my Inspire. I have spoken to Aerial Motion Pictures that carry out the certification but it would be good to get a take on what it is like to sit the test with the flight exam as well.

Not necessarily with AMP but as a participant in the procedure.

Any tips grateful.

2015-10-22
Use props
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

You're correct Paul, should be CAA here in the UK. I'll email you.

Peter
2015-10-22
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Your NQE should have briefed you sufficiently to prepare you for your flight assessment. Additionally, where do you get the idea you will get a commercial pilots licence? PFAW is not a licence, it is a permission granted by the CAA to enable you to advertise and take on paid work. Again, your NQE should have told you all of this. I am worried but the standard of some of the NQE's out there. Next they won't bother teaching people airspace segregation or telling candidates how to read a METAR or TAFF!!
2015-10-22
Use props
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2015-10-22 14:42
Your NQE should have briefed you sufficiently to prepare you for your flight assessment. Additionall ...

It's ok, early days. I haven't booked it yet, I should have said permission to do paid work.
Just asking the ins and outs of it.
2015-10-22
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Peter Silver Posted at 2015-10-22 16:54
It's ok, early days. I haven't booked it yet, I should have said permission to do paid work.
Just  ...

Peter,  Have you decided on a particular training provider yet.  Glad to help if you still need any input, just PM me.  Paul seems to have put you on the right track though.
2015-10-22
Use props
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-10-22 21:03
Peter,  Have you decided on a particular training provider yet.  Glad to help if you still need any ...

Many thanks for the offer GB44, after speaking to Paul on the phone (about two hours!) he filled me in on the bits and pieces. I have more or less settled on AMP (it's not far from me).
When my mate comes back from a two day shoot I'll fill him in. We haven't booked yet but AMP are keeping the spaces open.
2015-10-23
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Peter Silver Posted at 2015-10-23 15:33
Many thanks for the offer GB44, after speaking to Paul on the phone (about two hours!) he filled m ...

Peter,

No worries.  Keep us posted how you get on and what you think of the training provider.  Always good to get first hand feedback reviews.

2015-10-26
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-22 18:25
Hey, Tharg...

I had a long chin-wag with Peter... He'll be fine.

WHAT? - Your NQE never taught you how to read Welshman? - I would seriously consider asking for some kind of refund!
Knowing the forecast of Welshman is imperative in flight planning any RPAS mission - you should know that as well. I am surrounded by amateurs

OK..... Mi Typeing skils get away from mee sumtymes .  Good job I didn't try going into anabatic and katabatic winds.... God knows what spelling they could have come out as.

2015-10-27
Use props
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-10-22 20:03
Peter,  Have you decided on a particular training provider yet.  Glad to help if you still need any ...

Hi GB44

We have booked on the course with AMP mid November. One question how did you get on with the Ops manual?
Regards
Peter
2015-10-31
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Peter Silver Posted at 2015-10-31 16:06
Hi GB44

We have booked on the course with AMP mid November. One question how did you get on with  ...

Peter,

I went through the EuroUSC route.  So the Ops Manual was in their format.  Does the guys you are going with provide a template.

I have provided lots of answers on the forum to complete an Ops Manual in the EuroUSC format so you could probably just extract the information from the forum.  

Perhaps Paul can tell you if your training provider issues a Ops Manual Template.

The only problem I had was when I originally completed my Ops Manual they didn't really like it not for what was in it, but more because it wasn't in their format.  So I would suggest sticking to the training providers expected or issued format to reduce editing.  Apart from that once submitted with the training provider they forward on to CAA and they didn't have any issues.

The key thing is to outline exactly how you intend to operate all operations safe.  e.g by way of formal specific risk assessment for each and every project, using an Observer in all cases and increasing observers depending on risk identified, with use of two way commercial radios where necessary.

Don't get drawn into using off the shelf toy radios.  You need commercial licensed radios to ensure you are operating them at max signal strength, in this way you ensure or reduce likelihood of losing coms whilst in mid operation.

2015-11-1
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You do not need an observer in all cases (one man operation) and the problem with putting that in your ops manual is you then are bound by it if you say you always use one. If you then flew without an observer you would be operating outside of your operating parameters.
2015-11-1
Use props
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks guys, AMP have sent me a template.
2015-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules