Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Near crash and injury!!!
12Next >
3120 51 2015-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

WTF is going on here.

I just bought the Inspire 1 and after nearly 12 hours of trying to get apps updated, firmware updated I was able to finally fly this thing.

So I used the automatic take-off on my iPad mini and as soon as it is in the air, it lunges backwards so I instinctivly throtle down ( had other drones before this one) and it goes down sliding towards me. Once on the ground it continues to slide straight into my legs. Fuck, did those props hurt. Cut pretty deep into my legs as it shut down. What would cause this and has this happened to anyone else?

WTF is wrong with this drone? I have had other drones (Yuneec) and this has never even close to have happened before.

Anyway, pics of my injuries.

2015-10-24 22.51.16.jpg
2015-10-24 22.51.24.jpg
2015-10-24 22.51.30.jpg
2015-10-24
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 18:48
Did you read the last post I wrote to you on your other thread?

Yeah thanks for the back handed reply.

OK, so you want to know what I went through to actually get this thing in the air.

1. I upgraded the firmware for the Inspire 1 and its batteries. Ver (Inspire 1 Firmware v1.4.0.10) Successful .txt file with success. Initially left the .bin file in the extracted folder which entailed a 10 min delay.

2. Tried to update android device, but due to a failure on DJI to actually have a working App so you can't go into "Enter Camera view" that failed.

3. Tried the other method to update controller via USB and succeeded after 3 hours of fucking around with the controller, turning it on and off maybe 20 or more times. Recieved .txt files to show success.

4. Went back to the mobile device to update and still get error messages after putting into USB debug mode on developer status. (What the fuck App has the need to use developer privileges to work?) Only to have the App fail again.

5. Plugged in my iPad mini, was instantly able to get into "Enter Camera view" and then proceeded to be able to update the App via WiFi as it is supposed to be done.

6. So the aircraft is updated with latest firmware, the controller is update with latest firmware and the App is running the latest firmware. Last thing to do is calibrate the compass, which was done this way. Holding the machine at about 4ft height turning 360 degrees in a horizontal fashion, then turning it on inside and repeating. Then I get the all clear that the compass is set correctly.

7. Check that GPS is working, and that the connection is OK and Turn on auto takeoff and have it do what I stated earlier. and crash into my legs.

Please, tell what I did wrong? B/c what nI can tell I did everything that needed to be done to get the machine air ready. The fact that DJI and android App does not work does not contribute to this at all b/c I used the iPad to finally get things sorted out. And yes, I know how to CSC in flight, which is what  I did after I got it to the gound. That is why my injuries a so mild, it was just the props momentum that did this.
So fuck you very much Paul Kerry, this machine thus far has been nothin but trouble.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 19:41
You failed to perform an IMU calibration in line with my initial suggestion.

Reading the manual w ...

And I said, the IMU settings were and still are within ranges that needed to be for correct flight, per your initial suggestions.(do I need to calibrate something that is in normal operating range?) No calibration was needed. The compass however was way off and needed calibration. The machine was used on level ground on takeoff. So , everything was in order for its first flight.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 19:48
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this sentence..

> then turning it on inside and repeating

I did it like this.

2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 19:56
Just to be absolutely clear - an IMU calibration is not a compass calibration. They are two complete ...

I checked the IMU calibration like this. And did basic calibration.

2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 19:59
Yes. You need to calibrate initially else the IMU has no "idea" of what "wrong" is.

This is in th ...

So a basic calibration is hubris. Fuck that, I did what was needed.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

The internet is a wonderful place and has so much information. How the fuck could you screw something like you re saying up?
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 20:06
Not reading and following the manual because your previous experience led to over-confidence is the ...

I did a basic calibration. Is that not enough?
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 20:13
Stop watching YT videos in the hope that they will tell you everything you need to know - they won't ...

Show me in the manual that you seem to preach by that says a "Basic IMU calibration " will result in a wrong calibration of the Inspire 1. And BTW, the manual still refers to the DJI app as th "DJI PILOT" app. DJI is out of date.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 20:17
How many more times???

No. This is NOT enough. You MUST do an IMU calibration as is instructed in ...

Show me in the manual where basic calibration is wrong.
2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

This is ridiculous.

Paul, back off - you are not helping. While you started with good intentions you are coming across as an antagonistic and arrogant KIA.
JapanDave - take some time offline and read the manual a couple of times from cover to cover before you next power on the inspire.
Forget the youtube vids - most are crap and misleading. Better yet, find another I1 owner in your area and compare notes directly.

Both of you should spend some time away from the keyboard for a while.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-25 20:25
This is ridiculous.

Paul, back off - you are not helping. While you started with good intentions yo ...

I am reading the manual but I can fid not part that says the basic IMU calibration is useless????
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 20:33
You didn't do any IMU calibration.

You calibrated your compass. The two are not the same.

How do you figure that?
2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

JapanDave Posted at 2015-10-25 22:32
I am reading the manual but I can fid not part that says the basic IMU calibration is useless????

For what it is worth JapanDave - this is my approach.

I perform FULL IMU calibration after every firmware update and after any occasion where I think that the Inspire has received any shock or excessive vibration. (e.g. I was travelling in outback NSW and the dirt roads were very bumpy)

I also calibrate the RC sticks after every firmware update.

I compass calibrate in every new flight location when setting up and check the sensor values before first taking off.

This approach has worked for me.

2015-10-25
Use props
RBirtles
lvl.2

Australia

JapanDave Posted at 2015-10-25 22:43
How do you figure that?

Sorry to read of your injuries and all the other issues you have had in trying to get your Inspire setup.
See:

Cheers
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-25 20:45
For what it is worth JapanDave - this is my approach.

I perform FULL IMU calibration after every  ...

Thanks, I have not even had a flight yet due to this accident. But I will take your advice.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

RBirtles Posted at 2015-10-25 20:50
Sorry to read of your injuries and all the other issues you have had in trying to get your Inspire  ...

I used that video to calibrate the IMU, but PaulKerry seems to think it is crap.
2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

JapanDave Posted at 2015-10-25 22:56
Thanks, I have not even had a flight yet due to this accident. But I will take your advice.

Should also have mentioned that I have a known flat and level spot at home where I set the Inspire down for the IMU calibration process.

I don't bother with a basic IMU cal at all. If the numbers are out I don't fly and re calibrate fully back at home.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-25 21:02
Should also have mentioned that I have a known flat and level spot at home where I set the Inspire ...

Complete flat surface when I did basic calibrate.
2015-10-25
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

Paul, the only reason I knew to conduct the IMU calibration was from your posts. I then checked the manual with out finding anything. So I went to the net and found that video. I appreciate all the advice you gave me and I did my best to get things in order. I performed a basic IMU calibration and all te numbers seemed OK. So I went with an initial flight and resulted in an accident. The manual is so out of date it is not funny. The apps are not working on both the Android and OS9  software.

Thank you for your last post and I am also sorry if I cam across harsh.
2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 22:31
HOLY COW!!!

That video is dreadful !!!

Again great intentions Paul, but you're spreading half facts and forum lore as solid fact when it just isn't.

Yes, avoiding large ferrous objects or standing directly under a HV transmission line for a compass cal is required, but there is no need to leave RCs, phones, keys etc behind. There is no measurable effect in having these on your person and aircraft operation is not adversely affected in any way, shape or form.

2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 23:30
> There is no measurable effect in having these on your person and aircraft operation is not adver ...

If that is your procedure and approach then fine, but please attribute it as such and don't lead others to make assumptions that you are speaking gospel truth. As you are more than aware, there are many newcomers to both these forums and the DJI product and many will take ANY written statement here as certain truth.

2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 23:36
I didn't want to make the same mistake as last time and claim that it was in the manual...

I was r ...

Keys are not ferromagnetic, neither are mobile phones.
This is more useless DJI nonsense.

Keys are made of brass, most metallic content in smartphones is magnesium and copper.
None of which will have any affect on any compass, mechanical nor electronic.
This is basic common sense.
2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

I'm not going to bother anymore Paul.
Pedantry does not close fellows make.

2015-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

You know what's worse than a pedant?
A condescending pedant.

Your manner, lack of basic courtesy, tact and respect for others offends me and I'll have no more to say.
2015-10-25
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

@JapanDave, I am sorry for your injury. I am glad no one else was hurt.
I know you are upset. Please understand these are still mechanical items, and with anything mechanical, there will be failures.
Try the steps of compass calibration and IMU all from the SAME spot. Also, take off from that SAME spot. Check props and make them nice and tight.
If this was followed, the drone should fly okay.

However, If it happens again (wear boots and armor!) then I would call DJI on Monday, as you may have a ESC/Compass/Antenna issue.
I had a similar issue happen and it resulted in injuring a 3rd party. I had to send it to DJI and they fixed it on their behalf. I had to wait a month but its worth it in the end. These things are not toys.

If the Inspire 1 ever does that again mid-flight, switch to  Atti mode (A switch top left of controller)
2015-10-25
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Well congratulatiuons that you "updated" firmware to fly safe.  It was not drifting before like it does now especially at low alt.
But I wonder about the injuries? Did the motors not stop as they should when they hit something?
2015-10-25
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 10:48
It may sound callous of me that I am not offering my sympathies for what are almost certainly very p ...

USB debugging is NOT needed anymore and not even recommended regarding DJI answers to 3rd party devs.

However as I rootet my tablet I switched it on again.
2015-10-25
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

JapanDave Posted at 2015-10-25 11:52
And I said, the IMU settings were and still are within ranges that needed to be for correct flight, ...

After firmware change you should calibrate everything. But for compass calibration if you are worried about the location check it with a magnetic field detector before (free apps).
2015-10-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

JapanDave Posted at 2015-10-25 04:57
I used that video to calibrate the IMU, but PaulKerry seems to think it is crap.

Hi Dave
The video is shot in a studio possibly for clarity. The issue is they did not mention that this procedure needs to be done outside free of metal objects, cell phones in your pocket, keys LED lights with batteries or anything else you have on your person. Also, if it is a new location you should do this before flying.
They didn't say the model needs to start facing North (Compass Calibration). He also kind of hurried through the process and did not take care of maintaining model level and vertical. In my opinion these things help with a more accurate calibration (reason you are even doing it).  I have seen guys do this with the model in front of them while spinning around in place... but the best way is to keep the Inspire in the same place and your turn around it. This way it will be on the same axis of rotation. Sure this is minor stuff but it could be helpful.
No this is not in the manual, we all share our experiences with ours to help us all improve the experience.....  right?

The video helps you see the compass calibration but I do not believe it can stand on it own merit without better instructions.

AS far as the IMU calibration, I do the full advanced procedure at home after each firmware update. Electronics is not perfect and when you put software and electronics together... it is better safe than sorry.

Sorry about your injuries... it looks painful.

PS:  I was helping some one with their new RC helicopter 20 years ago, he was retired Navy and a smart guy. I asked the usual beginner questions and check over his aircraft, all the controls were going the right directions and gassed it up and started the motor. Back then it was okay to hold onto the tail boom and run up the power. While it is running at hover speed you sight down the rotor blades for tracking.  Guess what question I forgot to ask... did you charge the radio batteries ? Oh you need to do that....

The radio quit working the throttle went to full while I was holding the tail. Long story short. the rotor blade cut my arm wide open and the helicopter crashed...  So the moral of this story is you can never know everything and it is good to get help and ask lots of questions!

Rich
2015-10-25
Use props
Kenrwi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47674 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I may is it possible that in the heat of the moment that japandave brought both sticks back at the same time. I.e bringing right back brings the inspire back to him at a high rate (the lunge backwards could have been arrested with forward right stick), and of course left stick down and boom it hits him. Japandave don't mean to leave you out but it makes sense that is what happened to me. It just seems that so many of the accidents that happen are more attributable to pilot error than hardware issues,  we just don't want to go there in our minds. Don't want to inflame anyone it's and opinion of course.  The lunge could be IMU not sure on that one as I have never had a IMU issue myself, it seems most issues with this type of accident always seems to coincide with auto take off and a IMU calibration error.

Just a thought.

Ken
2015-10-25
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

OK, I read my manual the first day I received my Inspire as I didn't want to put $3,000 into the air
Without doing all I could in order to try and make sure I was ready. I had to buy a magnifying glass
To read the book or manual. I could have done it on line, however I just rad it later I printed it out.
After any update the first thing I do is re calibrate my IMU. Later in the field I will set the compass.
I always check all my settings in the GO App after every update. It seems to me the Inspire didn't
Know where it was. It also seems to me that it was most likely an IMU issue.

I know a lot of us are getting upset because of all the crap that is going on regarding the news and
Idiots who do not know how to fly or the rules of flight. They just read a little bit, watch the YouTube
Videos and are out to fly. Someone told me that someone just took theirs out of the box and flew it
Without doing anything. LOL. Yea. Of course.

Most of the guys and gals on this forum have helped me a lot. Most spend a lot of effort trying to help
Someone. In your case I really do believe it was the IMU not being set correctly. That has been covered
Here so many times it doesn't need to be covered anymore. All we want to do is go out and fly and get
Some good video without all the politics now coming our way. And if we can, help each other out when
It comes to problems.

I won't take up any more space and I'm sure you have learned something during this. I also have been
Cut to the bones on my hand and I am truly sorry it cut the crap out of you. I have only one question.
Why didn't the blades stop after they hit you? Or did they stop? From the photos it looks like they didn't.
2015-10-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Dave, your new handle is now ( Lucky Dave ! ) wow sorry about your mishap glad you weren't struck in a more vital spot... I've seen the same injuries across the top of one fellas bald head due to his phantom, and several others through the years I've flown rc... The inspire motors and props have gained your respect I'd say. Good luck to you, you go manual take off next time with some distance between you and your bird...
2015-10-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-25 04:25
This is ridiculous.

Paul, back off - you are not helping. While you started with good intentions yo ...

10-4 on that.. Easy now ..
2015-10-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-25 04:31
HOLY COW!!!

That video is dreadful !!!

Ease up, your taking this places it doesn't need to go.
2015-10-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-10-25 11:22
Hi Dave
The video is shot in a studio possibly for clarity. The issue is they did not mention tha ...

Reminds me of one of my mishaps with my twin ducted fan A-10 on the ground suddenly going full throttle while I checked the nose retract , I grabbed the fuselage but to late as my thumb was ingested into one of the A-10s intakes and the five bladed impeller turning at full rpm , shot the impellar blades 40 feet across the asphalt ... My thumb ... I was pretty dang lucky and only took six weeks to heal completely. First bad mistake in 40+ years of rc... It readjusted my respect for sharp spinning things too !
S--- happens...
2015-10-25
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-10-25 13:15
Reminds me of one of my mishaps with my twin ducted fan A-10 on the ground suddenly going full thr ...

The video that Japan-Dave showed of the compass calibration is not correct. You do not turn it on its side, you point the nose straight down at the ground.

I didn't read every post in this thread, so someone might have already mentioned that.

Japan-Dave, do the advanced IMU calibration at home away from metal on a flat surface. When you get to the flying field then do your compass calibration. Read the manual for instructions, that video is not correct.

Try flying again. My bet after you do the calibrations you will have a successful flight and many many more thereafter.

2015-10-25
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

JapanDave,

Sorry to hear about the accident.  Ouch!  Hope you heal up fast and get back in the air soonest.
Thanks for posting the issue.  It has helped me and probably others.  
Important enough to be another "penciled in" addition to my manual/checklist as I await arrival of my Inspire.

Reference the IMU cal, I looked at old threads on the subject and came across this from Frank320 posted June 18, 2015:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Place the inspire on a flat surface, both front and side should be level - i.e zero degree pitch and roll.
2) Use the iphone level, with iphone rested flat on surface and camera facing the nose of the inspire, ensure level - 0 degree
3) Then, with iphone rested flat on surface and camera facing the side of the inspire, ensure level - 0 degree
4) Start the IMU calibration process and minimize any movement or vibration around the inspire

Once IMU calibration is successful, the values should look like these:
Gyroscope: X=0, Y=0, Z=0, mod = 0 (they should be all zero since the inspire is stationary)
Accelerometer: X=0; Y=0, Z=1.0, mod = 1.0 (X=Y=0 since the inspire was stationary and flat on the ground and has no acceleration in the X and Y axis. Z = 1.0 for the vertical 1g of gravity)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For any and all,
Are the above values correct for a proper IMU cal?  Understand that parameters could vary by 0.01 or so for the "Mod".

Thanks in advance.  Learning as much as I can before the rotors spin.......
2015-10-26
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-26 04:27
I've generally found this guy's videos to be reasonably thorough.

Again, they're quite old and henc ...

Paul, I am not concerned with the cuts on my legs, they only stung for a few minutes. More so, I want a working drone that is safe to use. I am no proffesional and I am just doing this for fun, but it anoys me that I paid $5,200 This package here I expext something a little more organized. The manual that comes with the drone is far from up to date and that may have been due to how long the machine was in stock from where I bought it.

I had trouble from the get go. I could not manually update the master controller with the USB adapter and after about 3 hours of screwing around I gave up and tried the salve controller. I thought I had the controller updated to the correct firmware as the .txt file said that the controller is current. Now I am getting a message that on the App that the firmware again needs updating, but I cannot update through the app b/c the controller firmware is too old. So I stick the USB in with the latest firmware and again the .txt says the firmware is up to date. Turn on the app and still it says I can't update. What is wrong with this machine. Not mention that the Android app is a joke, you can't even access the flight mode without developer privilages. WTF is with that.

So I am back to trying to update these two controllers that the firmware logs say are up to date, only to have the app say they are not. Talk about chasing your tail Also , it was suggested by someone from DJI to get a cheap Android device (I ended up buying a $600 tablet specifically for this) only to have the app also not work.

And I do software development in some areas in regards to work, although I would not call myself a system engineer as such, but I have a fairly good understanding about firmware's and how computer related things work.  I am not saying I am an expert, but I am not an amateur in this area.

Talk about frustration.

No worries Mike, I hope this helps other people, b/c there is nothing in the manual that stresses how important the IMU calibration is. DJI, should be sending out updated manuals to all the machines they sold in the past, due to the fact that someone could get injured far worse that me.
2015-10-26
Use props
PCTInspire
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-25 12:39
If that is your procedure and approach then fine, but please attribute it as such and don't lead o ...

Totally agree, been off the forum for a while, jaw dropping responses from Mr Kerry. Despite his belated apologies I'm appalled by the total arbitary unwarranted rudeness., it's almost trolling in nature. Thankfully other more sympathetic experienced flyers not seemingly 24/7 Simm operators came to the rescue, well done!
2015-10-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules