Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Max flight alt?
2421 13 2014-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jarek33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 466696 ft
United States

hey guys i couldnt find anywhere what is the max altitude of the phantom, i know that inpire 1 can go 14,000 feet which is pretty crazy, every airplane will hit that lol, anyway any ideas?
2014-12-20
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

If you remove the restrictions in the software, your only limit will be battery power and tx power.  I have seen one go 2300ft.  You might get higher but the battery is likely to fail on return. I have seen them fall out of the sky because of this.

Its a bad idea to do altitude tests. It will only take 1 drone to take down a passenger aircraft small or large and that will be the end of the hobby. Not to mention the possible loss of life.
2014-12-20
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

umpa Posted at 2014-12-21 03:32
If you remove the restrictions in the software, your only limit will be battery power and tx power.  ...

Would a 3 lb Phantom take down a passenger aircraft? I'm thinking that it wouldn't even leave a mark.
2014-12-20
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Whilst the engines are designed to take a bird strike, birds have bought them down. Even if it did not the fan blade it damages costs thousands to repair.
2014-12-20
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.3

United States

MacCool Posted at 2014-12-21 03:43
Would a 3 lb Phantom take down a passenger aircraft? I'm thinking that it wouldn't even leave a ma ...

the relative kinetic energy is equal to half of mass multiplied by square of relative speed.
so, if the airplane is moving at 600mph, then you have a lot of energy on impact even with a 3 lb object. And it depends where it hits - the turbofan or windshield can definetly sustain some damage.

I agree with FAA recomandation - do not go over 400 feet; it takes indeed one single incident and then we all pay the price. Plus, when you go really high, think if you want to take the risk as a airline passanger to fly in a airspace where there's even a slight chance of a impact with a drone.
Maybe in the future, fly to high altitudes should be permitted if avoidance systems are in place. But until then, it's better to stay safe then sorry.
2014-12-20
Use props
rod
First Officer

New Zealand

Would a 3 lb Phantom take down a passenger aircraft? I'm thinking that it wouldn't even leave a ma ...

Ask yourself: would several large caliber bullets do damage to a turbine? the phantom at 600MPH with 4 massy steel motors entering a turbine would do serious damage and it is a lot harder than a seagull! (and imagine being hit by the battery at 600mph!)
2014-12-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

The maximum altitude is what the machine will fly at, not the maximum altitude you can reach from your takeoff point.  I saw a video of a Phantom at the base camp at an altitude of 17,500 feet in the mountains.  It will fly in that thin air.  That is probably what they meant when they say 14,000 feet.  Your maximum altitude you can reach from your takeoff point is the height you lose connection.  
2014-12-20
Use props
insitb
lvl.4

Singapore

Eggs-sized hailstones have cracked plane windshields. Hailstones. I think a Phantom would obliterate an airplane windshield.
2014-12-20
Use props
teedo757
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

It can go the same distance up as it can go horizontal. So 1500 to 2000 feet is not out of the question. Larger aircraft will not fly lower then a mile in altitude (5260 feet) until they are a few miles out from the airport. What you need to worry about are the smaller prop planes that do fly low.  
2014-12-20
Use props
kev.caine
lvl.1

United Kingdom

But you have to allow for the "crumple effect" of the Phantoms structure.
2014-12-20
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

kev.caine@bluey Posted at 2014-12-21 08:49
But you have to allow for the "crumple effect" of the Phantoms structure.

Actually this is an important point and probably why companies like Parrot (new Bebop) are making very lightweight models.

It may very well be that future drones will be tested for their danger on various impacts - whether on people's heads or on airplanes and jets.
2014-12-20
Use props
mark_turner6920
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1129 ft
United Kingdom

Wasn't it a bird strike that brought down that plane in the Hudson river or have I got my facts wrong?
2014-12-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Birds have brought down many planes.
2014-12-20
Use props
momochi
lvl.3

United States

I really do not understand the NEED people have to go to high altitude. I am a pilot and I know first hand how little there is to see even at only 1000 feet. The image you would get on you video would be of little detail to be interesting. I find most of my flying is done between 10 and 50 feet. The effect is more like that of a bird. Better detail and much more interesting. If you feel the need to see just what it looks like from high altitude, go to the local airport and do a photo ride.
2014-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules