Prevent Stress Cracks Guaranteed [finaly]
7262 33 2015-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

There is no need to fear, the solution is here.
I just wanted to share with everyone the once and for all solution for $20.00
There is a fantastic product called Plast-Aid available from the manufacturer or on Amazon

This produce is a 2 part mix, it is not epoxy or glue. It is Plastic that is as strong as steel.
In fact it is so strong a piece 1/4 inch thick 2 inches long can not be broken by bare hands...

The components are a powder and a liquid. Pour powder in a supplied cup, pour in enough liquid for it to be saturated...
Stir it to mix well and pour it while it is still thin into the area of the motor mount so that it is up to the level of the mount base area.

Vibrate it by hand a little so the liquid plastic levels itself and flows into all the areas around the mounts.

You will have about 2 minutes before it starts to become thick so do it quickly.

Once it begins to become thick use a tooth pick to scoop up some and place it behind the body mount hole
to provide more bracing and strength. wait about 8 minutes and it will be like puddy where you can then press it into shape to refine the application as needed.

After about 10 minutes leave it alone and it will begin to get hot and start bonding to the shell material.
After about 15 minutes it will cool down and become hard as steel and totally bonded to your shell. It will at this point be part of the shell, not just
adheared like glue but actually part of the shell.

Over 100 flights and not one hint of a crack at all, not even the slightest.

See photo attached.
Plast-Aid.jpg

Best solution... there is no better.
http://www.plast-aid.com/

2015-10-26
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-10-26
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-10-27 00:20
Looks like regular epoxy ,

Nope... not within a million light years of epoxy...
2015-10-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Great tip, thank you for that. Only got my P3P five minutes ago and already I am looking at preventative maintenance. Hah!
2015-10-26
Use props
mariano76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 509196 ft
Italy

Thanks man! I was ready to ship the bird back to repair center but before leaving my bird for long time I was searching for solutions
2015-10-27
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks good but worth noting, 100+ flights with this and no cracks really means very little. One of my P3P's has almost 300 flights and no cracks ( old shell no modifications ).. Its like every "fix" for the cracks, might work, probably has no impact.

Also the picture looks like the new shell with the notches near the motor mounts and bigger vents.. Not seen reports of these cracking at all..
2015-10-27
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

epoxy IS a plastic...
2015-10-27
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Too bad these guys didn't use it instead of the electrical tape shown in this picture:  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us ... aHG?ocid=spartandhp
2015-10-27
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

If and when you ever use this material you too will become it's evangelist. I guess I'm not getting across the point that it does not stick to the surface it becomes part of the surface, part of the material. It is simply not hardened on top of the shell it is  "welded into the material" And this is an older shell with the older motors, I have stated in other posts if It were to be ran over with a dump truck the motor would still be mounted to the mount and it would survive where everything else would become destroyed.  I suppose it is one of those things you have to see and feel for yourself in order to believe, this ain't no glue, no bondo, no epoxy that is for sure...
Watch this dude Christopher     
2015-10-27
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I have used Plast-aid around the house too.  I agree it VERY strong and should work for this purpose.
2015-10-27
Use props
Quadular
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14682 ft
United States

Thanks Gustofusion, great tip
2015-10-27
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-10-27
Use props
OzBlueDragon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483484 ft
Australia

Would anyone like to get me some and ship it to Australia? They don't ship internationally
2015-10-27
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-10-27 22:05
The stuff didnt stick to the cup because the cup "is flexible"  2:22

It would not stick to Teflon either. If you listen to the man in the video he explains the criteria in which it will bond to material. The cup is made from a plastic that is intended to be used to mix the plast-aid and does not bond to it, not because it's flexible but because plast-aid will not attack the plastic of the cup. The cup being flexible only assists you in removing the left over plast-aid from the cup. <clarity></clarity>
2015-10-31
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

OzBlueDragon Posted at 2015-10-27 23:21
Would anyone like to get me some and ship it to Australia? They don't ship internationally

Some Amazon sellers ship to Australia.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
2015-10-31
Use props
kiwitonita
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85 ft
New Zealand

OzBlueDragon Posted at 2015-10-28 16:21

Many thanks for the post gustofusion, I'm going to get a couple of 6oz bottles direct from the supplier.  For shipping to New Zealand I'll use the NZ Post YouShop facility which is their freight forwarding service in Oregon.  Have used it a few times when sellers will not ship outside USA.  

If you'd like some Oz let me know, I'll only charge actual costs and I have a Aussie bank account.
2015-10-31
Use props
OzBlueDragon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483484 ft
Australia

kiwitonita Posted at 2015-11-1 06:27
Many thanks for the post gustofusion, I'm going to get a couple of 6oz bottles direct from the sup ...

Hi kiwitonita,
Sure thing mate I'd love to get some.
I'll pm you my details and I can even Paypal you the money if you have an account.
Cheers.
2015-12-2
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

gustofusion Posted at 2015-10-31 14:35
Some Amazon sellers ship to Australia.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DFHSM6?keywords=plast- ...

100 flights.... from your posted pic you still have the "remove before flight" paper disks on top of you motor.

Reason ?
2015-12-3
Use props
txpander
lvl.2

Netherlands

greenbean Posted at 2015-12-3 13:33
100 flights.... from your posted pic you still have the "remove before flight" paper disks on top  ...

Maybe he is storing the drone like it just arrived like I do. After every flight I like to put back all stickers/gimbal guards and nylon protectors.
2015-12-3
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-12-3 07:33
100 flights.... from your posted pic you still have the "remove before flight" paper disks on top  ...

Like I said I applied the Plast-Aid Motor mount material straight out of the box before I even flew or put batteries in it.
2015-12-3
Use props
D700
New

Portugal

gustofusion Posted at 2015-12-4 13:42
Like I said I applied the Plast-Aid Motor mount material straight out of the box before I even flew ...

gustofusion I would like to ask you if the 6oz is enough to reinforce all 4 phantom arms? thx in advance
2015-12-5
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

D700 Posted at 2015-12-5 19:46
gustofusion I would like to ask you if the 6oz is enough to reinforce all 4 phantom arms? thx in a ...

Yes, that's the size I bought and it is more than enough. you could probably do 4 phantoms with it
2015-12-13
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Looks like a great product.

Dave
2015-12-13
Use props
D700
New

Portugal

gustofusion Posted at 2015-12-13 19:26
Yes, that's the size I bought and it is more than enough. you could probably do 4 phantoms with it ...

Thank you. I am having trouble trying to buy the plast aid - hard to find in europe, I ordered from US (ebay) but for some odd reason they refused to ship it at some postal inspection and refunded me, no further explanations about the reason. However I found other products like PG Weld, Platix, Plastech, Plastex. They seem to be a bit similar, but plast aid looks to be more user friendly since you can pour it to the phantom shell, also the ability of using like if it was clay to mould and place on the areas we want is great, indeed. Have you heard of those products I mentioned? I wonder why they don't ship plast aid internationally.
2015-12-13
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

bryansroofing@g Posted at 2015-12-13 11:29
with all due respect, it's a 2 part binding agent, with an activator... that is epoxy.

Concrete and water is also a multi part agent but it is not epoxy. Again, You must experience the Plast-aid product in person to understand and experience it. I could run my mouth all day but until you experience it you'll just think it is a glue or a filler...
2015-12-24
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

D700 Posted at 2015-12-13 13:08
Thank you. I am having trouble trying to buy the plast aid - hard to find in europe, I ordered fro ...

I found a dealer in Europe  http://plast-aid.co.uk/
Also on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plast-Pl ... epair/dp/B002W6OSI0

and the 6 oz kit at Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plast-Pl ... ;keywords=Plast+aid
2015-12-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

So, why the debate, it is, it isn't? Who the FLICK Cares?? ;-)
If the product works, and helps ease folks peace of mind.

Does it matter whether it has a catalyst to set it? Good grief. Hahaha

Is there a difference between polyester, acrylic, and epoxy resins?

A:
Acrylic resin (but not acrylic emulsion, which is the basis of acrylic paint) is a thermoplastic, which means it is one of a group of plastics which can be heated and manipulated repeatedly, whereas polyester resin and epoxy are thermosetting plastics, which use heat or a catalyst to solidify into a solid mass that won’t melt down. Acrylic is mixed from acrylic polymer, a dry powder, a methyl methacrylate monomer, a thin liquid, and usually an organic peroxide hardener of some sort. If pieces of any size are contemplated, an autoclave or hydraulic press is necessary for reducing air-bubbles and counteracting the internal stresses created by the strongly exothermic reaction. The dust is toxic, as is the monomer and its vapors. And the organic peroxides are especially poisonous, some of them being explosive and others causing instant blindness if they get in ones eyes.

Polyester resin, a syrupy clear liquid, is mixed with a small but variable amount of a strong catalyst, which causes the curing mass to heat up (and to craze if you’ve added too much.) It is versatile stuff, being useful for coating, casting, and building up composites, usually in conjunction with fiberglass cloth. It is not as hard or as clear as acrylic, having a somewhat yellowish tinge to it. And it—and especially the catalyst—is also highly toxic, and is persistently evil-smelling as well.

Epoxy resin works similarly, doesn’t smell as bad, but it—and the hardener that makes it set—is a sensitizer, meaning that you can get a nasty allergic reaction after repeated exposure. Some hardeners are not as bad as others in this respect. Epoxy won’t set water-clear like acrylic, and doesn’t resist sunlight (UV) degradation as well, but works better with high-tech cloths, like Kevlar and graphite.

Almost any dry pigment (with a few exceptions—test first on a small scale) can be used to color these resins, as well as various inert fillers which also add color; there are also special polyester dyes available. It can be made opaque or transparent—acrylic is used for casting “plexiglas” sheets, among other clear things. Be very careful when using any of these materials: these are generally considered industrial rather than art supplies, and you are expected to know how to protect yourself from their harmful effects. If you don’t have the proper facilities for dealing with them, consider using safer alternative systems.

RedHotPoker
2015-12-24
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

Well, I just may have to try this after two different shells have cracked.  Thanks for the tip! Now I'll have to learn how to get the shell open.  
2016-1-8
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-10-27 07:39
Looks good but worth noting, 100+ flights with this and no cracks really means very little. One of m ...

Same for me after 300 + flight.
2016-1-8
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

2016-1-8
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like its good stuff with a wide range of uses.
As your not putting the exact amount of Plast Aid in each motor housing, does it effect the flight in any way.Drifting when hovering??
Thanks for sharing.
2016-1-8
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

My Phantom is new, but already added a ribbon protector and now going to do this step.

Thanks
2016-1-8
Use props
Mordorr
lvl.2

After 88 flights this week, for the second time i had cracks....and i have a OK RMA from DJI here in Europe...

However, i just want to confirm, from another user here at my country, that this product works very well. The user in question even did try bondic before without sucess....

So....this works!!

Happy flights!
2016-3-25
Use props
fans40c3d707
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1607267 ft
Spain

Shame amazon UK will not ship to spain on this product.
amazon spain do not stock it.
2017-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules