DJI Osmo Fan On All the Time?
11287 17 2015-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JLKP131120
New

United States

I just received my Osmo today and noticed that the fan is on all the time. I can deal with the gimbal noise, but not the fan being constantly on. I think this is also affecting the battery drain. After use, the camera does get pretty hot, so I assume that the fan was designed to run this way. Thoughts and experiences?
2015-10-27
Use props
DJI Candice
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Normally, the fan would start working soon after power on to cool down the chip. For the noise problem, DJI is working on it to lower the noise. Thanks for your interest to DJI prouduct.
2015-10-27
Use props
JLKP131120
New

United States

thank you candice! glad to hear that DJI is working on reducing the noise. would it be a firmware update?
2015-10-27
Use props
skine75
lvl.2

United States

Working to reduce the noise?  That is good to hear.  I like the Osmo so far but the audio leaves a lot of room for improvement.  I'll be anxiously awaiting to see what DJI comes up with.  Thanks!
2015-10-27
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Received my unit yesterday and without a fix for the fan noise don't count on using the internal mic. You might be able to filter out some of it with a audio filter, but don't count on it. I have a few wireless external mics I'll try.
2015-10-27
Use props
Godzira
lvl.2
United States

DJI Candice Posted at 2015-10-27 03:02
Normally, the fan would start working soon after power on to cool down the chip. For the noise probl ...

Hi Candice,

I assume based on what you said, the fan will turn on  all the time then? Because mine does. I've been using it for about an hour, and the fan did not turn off.

2015-10-27
Use props
abel.aluart
lvl.1

United States

I have been waiting for this unit and was very excited.  I shoot all with my a7s so i had high expectations with low light.  for the sensor size and small form factor it does pretty well.  The audio is a big issue for me.  I never saw in the reviews about the fan.  when recording with internal audio it is useless.  I went out and purchased the small sennheiser and it's still picks up the fan noise. I want to love this unit so much. But, this is a deal breaker with the fan noise for me.
2015-10-28
Use props
Thewood45
lvl.2

United States

I have not purchased the OSMO yet, but this is making me real nervous.  I was planning on buying this for family stuff, vacations, travel, etc. nothing professional.  I did not plan on using any kind of external mic at all.  Should I pass on the OSMO?  Is there any kind of tiny external mic that hooks up to the unit that may work?  I'm going going to have a huge external mic when I'm shooting my kid playing in the yard, etc.  Maybe the GoPro 4k is the better fit for me, but I don't like the jerky footage I see.  Frustrating all around for me.....
2015-10-28
Use props
superzoey2000
New

United States

For those who have received and have tested the Osmo, is the fan noise as bad as featured in the review below? I'm not going to solely rely on the internal mic, but the noise it generates on the video seems pretty awful.

2015-10-28
Use props
abel.aluart
lvl.1

United States

superzoey2000 Posted at 2015-10-28 14:22
For those who have received and have tested the Osmo, is the fan noise as bad as featured in the rev ...

yes its that bad, better if using an external mic however it still picks up the noise.  
2015-10-29
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Thewood45 Posted at 2015-10-28 15:27
I have not purchased the OSMO yet, but this is making me real nervous.  I was planning on buying thi ...

Like you, I picked up with no intention to record audio anyway. Overall, the stability is amazing, and my only complaint is having to do manual horizon correction, despite having carried out a full gimbal calibration and finding the horizon not straight.

It's an issue I hope DJI will be able to resolve quickly. But overall, it's an excellent platform. I'm looking forward to picking up an X5 with 2 gimbal plates so that I can use it on my Inspire and the OSMO
2015-11-1
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

superzoey2000 Posted at 2015-10-28 22:22
For those who have received and have tested the Osmo, is the fan noise as bad as featured in the rev ...

The on-board mic is pretty useless. An external mic certainly helps

I'm looking around to see if there's such a thing as a Bluetooth mic, something I can clip to someone I'm interviewing that will broadcast, via Bluetooth, to a unit connected to the OSMO
2015-11-1
Use props
cceino
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Candice Posted at 2015-10-27 11:02
Normally, the fan would start working soon after power on to cool down the chip. For the noise probl ...

To lower the noise with a firmware update, or for the Osmo 2???
2015-11-1
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

The only way I think is possible to lower the noise by firmware is to make it works slower. That will not do any better with the heating of the camera without changing the blades or design of the vent so it can move same amount of air with less rpm.
2015-11-1
Use props
Phantom Paul
lvl.2

Philippines

Geez the fan/gimbal noise is so annoying & got pick up by the external mic! Pls DJI, try to resolve this & the heat issues.
2015-11-1
Use props
abel.aluart
lvl.1

United States

I finally heard back from DJI (i've had better luck here on the forums than email)  I reached out to let them know that i was not happy with the unit due to fan noise and wanted to return the unit.  here is their reply  saying that the fan noise issue is not enough of an issue to be able to return it. (PLEASE BEWARE IF YOU PURCHASE THIS YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETURN IT FOR THE ISSUE OF FAN NOISE)  Very unhappy with DJI customer service.  This IS an issue and yes, i was an early adopter of the unit, however there was no mention of a fan on the unit. Also, according to DJI it can be resolved by buying the optional part and an external microphone.   

Dear Aluart,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Did you receive my email on 2015-10-30 as below?

"Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are sorry that the problem you mentioned in the email is the issue we are working on to solve.
Currently we do not support the refund based on this.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to improve this situation in the near future.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,"

Best regards,

Sally
2015-11-2
Use props
Ikary2008
lvl.1

Venezuela

abel.aluart Posted at 2015-11-2 21:12
I finally heard back from DJI (i've had better luck here on the forums than email)  I reached out to ...

What are you waiting for Chinese products? which they are moderately good in the air and lousy hand.

I interpreted that answer as:

"Our department of engineering and design work on the OSMO many time, was not able to realize that the osmo looks like a supersonic jet (in terms of fan noise), plus it did not realize was never the osmo becomes quite hot, perhaps because in the 3D CAD everything was fine, but in real life an expensive camera $ 649, which will not work the microphone, hot and the sound of the fan, is a catastrophic failure.

The incredible media coverage they are using for this camera, but nobody mentions failure in the first 20 youtube.com videos are good and positive publicity of osmo and videos are really useful way down the page, people who develop reviews of cameras, only mention the good and detailed as something very minor defects (obvious many of them sell equipment such example: Jim Bauers Demonseed, Irix guy, etc).

People get excited about these innovative devices, thinking that I was in love was expensive, but that it should spend that money on wonderful camera, but passes through this forum and see the situations that you are facing. If you can not do anything to get their money in their developed countries, in Venezuela What can I do ?, the Customer Service DJI not even answer me at my area code.

On the other hand if you are in the Caribbean (my case) with the temperature at 40 ° C, there is a warning to buy in a store or Amazon (including DJI) when indicated as shipping address caribbean countries ?:

WARNING our product can make you lose the skin of your hands, it is recommended to use kitchen gloves

Do not get me wrong, it's my humble opinion.
Remember that the customer is always right.

Cheers

PD .: I'm a fan of Candice DJI (love your Avatar) I hope not hot and fan sounds way too (seems like an android, how perfect that she sees).
2015-11-6
Use props
user2bf42f525f
New

Chile

Hi,

I'm having troubles to link my Osmo to a Fanpage on Facebook, to do a live stream, I don't know if it is even posible.
I don't have any troubles to conect it to a normal user page. Does any one know how to do it?

Thanks!!!
2016-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules