Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Temperature Specs of 0 to 40 c
1277 9 2015-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jack1144
lvl.4

Canada

Curious about the specs and limitation.
I would like to fly at below 0 degrees C and seems others have.
Anyone know why the P3 has this restriction.
Icing is a condition the pilot should control and should not be a manufacture limit
so I'm wondering what the reason is

2015-10-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I don't have an honest answer to this temperature restriction, guideline.
Not yet atleast, but as the late fall temperatures begin to dip, I fully intend to find out.
Winter here, it's just too long around these parts, and I am not going through cold turkey before Christmas. Hehe
John Lennon sang about it, but I don't want to experience it, first hand. Thanks, but no. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-10-29
Use props
jmims
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe that it's based on the battery as LiPo's don't operate well in cold temperatures. If you try to fly, keep your battery as warm as you can (put it in your jacket) until it's time to fly.
2015-10-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jmims is quite correct, the limiting factor is the battery. Almost every battery type loses capacity rapidly as the temperature drops to zero or below. If you can keep the battery warm up until you fly, you might be able to get a decent flight, but beware that when the aircraft is airborne, the battery can cool quickly and your flight time will be far less.

And just as an added gotcha, the battery capacity indicator on the Go App will not show the actual capacity either, as it does not know that the battery has lost capacity due to the low temperature.

In other words, keep your flight short.
2015-10-29
Use props
jack1144
lvl.4

Canada

I see the battery issue. Some battery types are more of a problem than others.
Your standard car battery(lead acid) loses a lot of capacity with reduced temperature where as AGM car batteries are considerably better.
However the app reads ok at 0 and at 40 but not at -10 ?
Also the Inspire is rated at -10 with similar battery.
Pretty sure it's flyable but not diligent if the manufacture states  zero degrees.
Just don't see a difference ( might be one) between Inspire and P3 as far as temperature goes.
Thanks will pocket warm em and do more research.
Like you Red, don't want to do John Lennon now either
2015-10-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Keep your batteries warm, it will save your aircraft
2015-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, those Pro class models are awesome to see,
& even though I can only dream about owning an Inspire 1 or other larger RC drones.
I am pleased as punch, to have this Phantom 3 Pro' to fly around here, with. When ever I want.
It gives me a lot of pleasure, no kidding. I just hope the coldest months here, doesn't ruin all the fun.

RedHotPoker

2015-10-30
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another possible reason that 0°C is the stated low end, is that the plastic shell may be more brittle and tend to crack easier in cold temperatures. It is just a theory, but I've lived in cold climates all my life. I recall as a child, that if I tried to skip a frisbee off of concrete when it was really cold, the frisbee would shatter into several pieces.  Frisbees are made of similar plastic to the Phantom's shell.  It is normally very tough and flexible, but as we all know, they do tend to get hairline cracks at the screw holes after lots of use.  I would have to guess that this tendency would increase as temperatures get colder. Again, just a guess.
2015-11-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Iflewbyyou Posted at 2015-11-8 06:52
Another possible reason that 0°C is the stated low end, is that the plastic shell may be more britt ...

A possible solution might be to get some of those chemical hand warmers and strap it outside the battery compartment.  The kind that start heating when exposed to air and shaken up.  They are very light.  I put them in my motorcycle gloves when it gets cold.
2015-11-8
Use props
jack1144
lvl.4

Canada

Been away for a while, so I'm late responding.
Thanks for all the replies.
The issue I see is   A/ the manual specs the lower limit of the battery  at -10c yet the Aircraft at 0c
                                  B/ in order to apply for a SFOC I would like to use the -10c as minimum temperature yet the spec says 0c for the aircraft
                                       this would limit my flights to 0c   even tho it would be safe to fly at -10c with the proper procedures
                                           eg.  warm batteries, start with full charge, monitor voltages, shorten flight times, etc.
Thanks all
2015-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules