Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Even experience don`t stop you making stupid mistakes!!!
2104 7 2014-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rubenmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I have lost a few drones over the years. The first was actually not my fault but a bad drone from a bad builder. Anyhow.
The rest I have lost doing flying I knew was risky and where I like with all gambling was aware I could lose it. Some was filming like one of a kind snowboard or Snowmobile trick high up in the mountains on a job.

I have never had any of the famous fly away until today. But again its down to human error. I went up on the mountain that is on the land of my family. A road goes over it so its perfect to drive up and take some shots.

This was as you see the Phantom and just wanted a fast nice shoot so left the S900 at home. I calibrated and placed the drone on a flat surface I had with me. I knew there was a power line there and I was thinking as before when I have been there I had to watch out. A buss had just passed so I lifted and for a few seconds my brain must have been restarting for I remember thinking I make a short turn arround before crossing the road. And just as I did the turn I remembered the power lines. As it passed just above them I lost the control. Between me and mountain side that goes straight down 800 meters was about 35 meters. For me it looked as it dived over the edge. And as I started to look for it in the deep snow I was sure it had gone over but it actually fell down just about 5 meters to the left of the pole you see in the photo.
So I guess 2 lessons was learned.

1. Sometimes even when you make the checks and are sure you are about to fly safe your brain can have some "fun" with you.

2. Powerlines really bring copters down!

Screenshot-2014-12-21-13.20.58.jpg
2014-12-21
Use props
TSP181
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

I didn't realize that power line of that size would impact control of the Phantom.  I was thinking everyone was talking about high tension / transmission lines.   I'll keep that in mind as I add flying hours.   Thanks for the info.  -TSP181
2014-12-21
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also have seen many a Phantom fly near power lines of that size (small) - if they were so bad, people would be getting messed up GPS in their cars, etc. all the time!

Were you flying in GPS mode?  GPS and Compass may be a bit more sensitive, but it's hard for me to imagine lines such as that screwing up the whole system.
2014-12-21
Use props
rubenmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I had no idea myself it was this bad. But here you see im less then one meter away. It was closer after this is taken as it then flipped upside down. I watched the movie (Im away so its only 3G here and it takes forever to upload the video) and its for sure when the Phantom comes real close to the power lines it flips out.

I was in GPS mode. Often take off in GPS mode to have the "home point".  I often fly over high voltage power lines for inspection but never less then 10-15 meters distance. I then use the S Series but never even seen it have any kind of problems.

I talked to a friend today who works for the power company as a engineer. He said (Its hard to see on the photo) that as its snow on the powerlines it causes resistance even as its not a problem for them it creates a field around the lines. I don't remember but he had a name for it.

Live and learn :-)
2014-12-22
Use props
Goldenseal
First Officer
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

rubenmail@gmail Posted at 2014-12-22 05:12
I had no idea myself it was this bad. But here you see im less then one meter away. It was closer after this is taken as it then flipped upside down. I watched the movie (Im away so its only 3G here and it takes forever to upload the video) and its for sure when the Phantom comes real close to the power lines it flips out.

I was in GPS mode. Often take off in GPS mode to have the "home point".  I often fly over high voltage power lines for inspection but never less then 10-15 meters distance. I then use the S Series but never even seen it have any kind of problems.

Electromagnetic force?
2019-1-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

spam......
2019-1-28
Use props
firebellart
lvl.1

Germany

BigMannn Posted at 1-28 15:03
I also like gambling and try not to repeat the same situations further. That is the reason why this link is always with me and I do not forget to check with it in my future activities.

i understand, it's easy to mistake, but recently i found one site, and i think she like you) It's an blog about successful gambling
2019-3-12
Use props
firebellart
lvl.1

Germany

that's enough
2019-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules