Cargo release w/ servo - DONE!
13416 13 2015-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skine75
lvl.2

United States

I've seen plenty of vidoes where people use a servo to create a "bomb drop" mechanism but the Phantom 3 and stock controller make that pretty tough.  I wanted to be able to carry and drop something from my Phantom using the stock remote and figured out a way.  Using the parts from the 'retractable landing gear' mod from RCDepot and a few others from HomeDepot, I was able to mount a servo underneath the Phantom and make up a 'hold and release' component.  I had to drill some holes in the shell to get a secure mount for the strap that I use to hold things but that was really it.  It works really well so i took some pics.  Oh, I also put on the ITElite antenaa last night, havent got a chance to test the range but I'm excited to see how well it works!

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
2015-10-31
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Oooooh!  Now I know what to do with my old Phantom 1 that's been collecting dust!
(probably at the risk of ending up on a terrorist watch list...)

Quanum RTR Bomb System 1/6 scale Plug-n-Drop

2015-10-31
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Drugs?
Prison?
2015-11-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Drugs and prison?  Nah, don't travel in either of those social circles.  
Since the dawn of RC flight people have been figuring out ways to drop stuff from their flying contraptions,  WHY, all of a sudden with the advent of quadcopters is there a rush to judgement?  Why automatically make the presumption it's for a bad purpose?  Ahh, apparently you've never visited flitetest.com and seen some of the sillyness they've dreamed up.  Cargo bay of parachuted plastic army men, NERF missles, even other airplanes dropped from airplanes.  

Heck, my nearest neighbor is a half mile away and I've got a 160 acres for my playpen so I can pretty much do whatever I want without worrying about a flight of black helicopters from nearby Fort Campbell descending on my head.

AirDrops.jpg
2015-11-1
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-11-2 07:15
Drugs and prison?  Nah, don't travel in either of those social circles.  
Since the dawn of RC flig ...

So let me get this correct, you think me foolish for thinking of mounting a better quality camera on my P3 whilst you are playing dropping bombs from yours  ???????  Really?  
Vive la Difference.
2015-11-2
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-2
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-11-2 06:53
So let me get this correct, you think me foolish for thinking of mounting a better quality camera o ...

I didn't characterize you as anything.  mikeLmedic04 started that other thread about the Sony RX100 and I was responding to him, not you.  

Now, as far as you dragging your perceived umbrage over here into this totally unrelated thread, that  may get you labeled as a petty fool by other people.

Me?  I'm not nibbling at that baited hook.

2015-11-2
Use props
iamtheceo
New

United States

Nice job! Can you explain what was done to make this? Very interested in doing this to mine.
2015-11-26
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Great way to deliver "cold ones" to neighbors/friends.  Of course there are people out there that have already modified their quadcopter to do dumb foolish things (like the guy who rigged a Glock to his drone and posted it on youtube of it shooting remotely) but there ARE good people out there still that just want to have fun with modifications.  Have fun with it, I know I would probably have some "flour bombs" ready for my friends who deserve a little "flouring" from time to time.  But just have fun and be safe with it!
2015-11-28
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-28
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yep, I say have fun but be safe and be smart about it.

Dave
2015-11-28
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-28 20:57
So youre saying the guy who mounted the gun to his drone is "bad" people? It was quite ingenious if ...

Not once did I say he was bad, I said he was dumb to publish it to youtube.  There are already enough anti-gun nuts out there that are trying to take away our 2nd amendment rights and that video didn't help things.  Mix that with all the anti-drone people out there that are uneducated and it was a "two-fer" deal.  

For what you said, yes as far as ingenuity goes it was brilliant, at least as a prototype.  But it might had been in his best interest to not share it.  
2015-11-28
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-29
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-29 08:51
As far as the anti gun and anti drone people goes, you need to quit tiptoeing around them. There i ...

Well I'm very pro gun and of course pro drone. Had my CCW license for years, and have flown rc planes for just as long. I don't tiptoe, I say what's on my brain and if you take it offensively it's on you.

But let's get back on subject.
2015-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules