New buyer...info on note/tablet choices
1237 15 2015-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BillyRay
lvl.1
United States

I'm looking to buy a Phantom 3 Advanced in the next week or so.  I will need to buy a tablet/note to run with the controller since I don't own one at the moment.  I'm very new to the whole market of Ipad and Android.  Is there any advantage or disadvantage to each??  I did a search, and seems that most on here seem to lean towards the Ipads.  Do the Ipads have less issues, or vice versa??  I would appreciate any info.  

Right now I am kinda leaning towards either the Ipad Air 2, or the Ipad Mini versions.  Kinda think I would prefer the larger screen on the Ipad Air.  

2015-11-1
Use props
Quadular
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14682 ft
United States

BillyRay, I have been pleased with the performance and screen size of the Ipad Mini 2, I am sure there are lots of choices out there, and lots of opinions. I opted for the wifi model,(no cellular), the only drawback here is that you cannot use this device for "Follow Me" mode, other than that, the Mini 2 fills the bill. Hope this helps...

John  
2015-11-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

I really like the iPad2 mini. It is just the right size and works great. You can find them for low prices now also. Walmart has them on sale for $200.
2015-11-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Here is the link for the best price I've seen on it

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10 ... -november-discount/

Dave
2015-11-1
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I use the iPad mini 2 as well, works perfectly. And the size is perfect, I also added a matte screen saver and a home made lens shade (all four sides of fabric and plastic so it is adjustable. Also wear black shirt to cut reflections more in the sun.

You can either cache the maps or use a iPhone or similar for hotspot on location.

Because I have the iPhone as well I use that if I want to do follow me mode. You can have the GO app on multiple devises. I also use SAutoPilot for DJI and AirNest, for added capabilities.
2015-11-1
Use props
jeffderoche
lvl.1

Canada

Despite the smaller screen size, I find my iPhone 6 display to be much more vibrant than compared to my iPad mini 2. Used the mini for the first handful of flights, tried the iPhone, and haven't gone back.
2015-11-1
Use props
BillyRay
lvl.1
United States

Hey thanks for the replies!!  Man that is a GREAT deal from WalMart on the Mini 2.  I was worried I would be disappointed in the screen size compared to the Air 2.  But you guys say the screen size is perfect, so I don't mind saving a little money. lol  I may make a run to WalMart here in a bit to snag one of those.  
2015-11-1
Use props
Viper989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891194 ft
Canada

Welcome aboard BillyRay ,

I use a n Ipad Mini2 with cellular/gps , but the cell is not activated .This way i can use it in «follow me» mode .
It is only used with my Phantom , so no other apps are installed . Started out with a Samsung note 3 , but moved to the Ipad Mini for the screen size and the IOS app . If i need cellular link i can connect the Ipad to my Note 3 .

As mentioned before , i also use an anti-glare screen saver with sun hood .

I tried a Samsung Note10.1 but it felt top heavy .

it seems most of Ipad Minis are quite happy
2015-11-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Yes, please keep in mind if you get the iPad2 mini you  will not be able to use the Folow Me feature. But all other features will be available to you.
You would need the iPad2 mini with cellular, I am not sure how much more money that would be. The one at Walmart for $200 does not have cellular.
2015-11-1
Use props
BillyRay
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-2 00:41
Yes, please keep in mind if you get the iPad2 mini you  will not be able to use the Folow Me feature ...

Ya I don't mind not having the "follow me" feature.  I just got back from WalMart.  Snagged one for the $199 you mentioned.  I owe ya one for letting me onto that deal!!!  
2015-11-1
Use props
timjd3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 531217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got an iPad Air (w/Cellular) and an iPad 3 mini (Wifi only).    I use the Mini almost exclusively now.   Don't need the "follow me" feature, and if I did it would likely be a situation where I'd just use my phone anyway.   

The Mini's are just the perfect size for the remote.
2015-11-1
Use props
Grand.P
lvl.1

Belgium

and what about the  ipad 4 mini ?
2015-11-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Grand.P Posted at 2015-11-1 11:23
and what about the  ipad 4 mini ?

The iPad4 mini works great also. I was just recommending the iPad2 mini because it is what I use and it works great and it is much less expensive.

Dave
2015-11-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

BillyRay Posted at 2015-11-1 09:53
Ya I don't mind not having the "follow me" feature.  I just got back from WalMart.  Snagged one fo ...

My pleasure. I don't really use the "follow me" feature either. I like to fly my Phantom. I do have the iPad2 mini with cellular but I don't need the cellular. It is nice to have and  in a way I do need it, because I work for DJI,  I have to use & test all the features so that I can support them better here.
2015-11-2
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94964 ft
Italy

Hi Billyray I tried Ipad mini 2 and samsung Tab S2 8"
my choice fell on Tab S2
These are the main reasons for my choice:
- Weight  Tab 276gr. (ipad 341)
- Memory: Tab S2 32GB + SD (ipad only 16 or 32 GB, SD not possible)
- Tab display (AMOLED) Ipad (LCD)
- Table S2 phone also - ipad no
- file video of the SD camera P3 can be transferred directly on Tab S2 by USB / SD adapter , Ipad you need to connect to PC
also for future and different uses with P3, Table S2 has more possibility to use.

2015-11-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Yeah, Samsung makes some good stuff also.

Dave
2015-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules