Matrice Camera on top
1769 5 2015-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theworstcase
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1407589 ft
Germany

Is it prossible to mount the X5 on top of matrice100 (pretty much like the freefly alta)?
And how can we manage image rotation, gimbal setup? Might be smehow similar to mounting it on the osmo.
We need to build a copter with guidance for bridge inspection and similar uses.

2015-11-2
Use props
Uaviation
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1632106 ft
Australia

Hi there

You can not mount the camera (x3 or x5) upside down. This is because the gimbal appears to use gyros in the flight controller as well as on the gimbal mount in order to self correct (level).

I have tried this with an x3 and matrice for bridge inspections etc... You will find that it will work fine when you first set it up and the aircraft is stationary on a table. Once in the air, the gimbal will try to correct roll and pitch movements but the inputs will be reversed creating further feedback. If you keep this up for a few minutes the gimbal motors will overheat and brick your gimbal.

I suggest that you take my word for it and don't try it until DJI publish a patch for those of us who want to mount the gimbal upside down.

Alternatively us the N1 encoder and a small generic gimbal and camera. - Even a Tarot H3 with a Go Pro will give you pretty good results.
Manage image rotation by using an HDMI monitor plugged into the mini hdmi port, then revert and invert the screen.

For bridge inspections, The next question you will ask is how to mount the Guidance downward facing sensor to face upwards so you don't have to guess your distance from the structure. This is also not possible at the moment until someone / DJI comes up with a patch.  I have written about this elsewhere on this forum also

Hope this helps  
2015-11-3
Use props
tharr1968
New

United States

Updates?
Anyone?
Bueller?

2016-1-22
Use props
tharr1968
New

United States

Uaviation Posted at 2015-11-4 00:31
Hi there

You can not mount the camera (x3 or x5) upside down. This is because the gimbal appears to ...

Updates?
Anyone?
2016-1-22
Use props
tharr1968
New

United States

Hello!
Have you made any progress? If so, may I ask what gimbal and camera you used?
2016-1-22
Use props
tharr1968
New

United States

Hi!
Have you made any progress?
If so may I have the gimbal and camera combination used?
Thanks!
2016-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules