Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3P survives crash into Granite blocks.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Westside Osprey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I was out doing some beta testing for a new P3P app today when I got a desperate phonecall from one of my students flying a P3P.

She had lost all sight and contact with the MR. And she was panicking. I told her to push return to home, she did and nothing happened, it was hard to understand the exact situation. She was very upset. So I told her to relax and I will be down in 15 minutes or so.

I talked to her on the way to the racetrack where she had been shooting. The power reported on the MR ws 37% and you could see the video feed, it looks like mud and a bit of sky. I had her try a few things like try to understand the radar, but she was too upset.

Well I got down there and tried to use the radar to find the MR now it was down to 12%. Anyway I downloaded her log from the iPad and uploaded it to HealthyDrones and exported the KML, loaded it in Google earth and this is what we saw:

Well this was from 6 months ago, but it showed the exact direction and distance to the MR.

And amazingly there it was stuck 12' up a steep pile of rocks still running the lights. We got a ladder and climbed up to get it. And I turned it off. It had crashed right into a pile of granite blocks left during the construction of this new race track. The props were cracked but everything else looked fine.

I put new props on and did a test flight. Unbelievable everything worked 100%. Now if that had been my S800 with Zenmuse. I would have had a $8,000.00 insurance claim. But no cracks in the arms or anything, amazing.

She got away cheap, a new set of props.

The reason for the crash, she flew into the sun, one of the first things I teach students not to do.
Panicked and descended straight down into the rock pile without seeing the MR.

Great product DJI!
2015-11-4
Use props
flying-camera
lvl.3
Canada

Great story.  MR = the quadcopter?  What does MR stand for?
2015-11-4
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.4
United States

flying-camera Posted at 2015-11-4 19:10

MR is Multi Rotor.

We have called them that for years now. I kind of don't like the word drone, but I am slowly giving in, I even find myself calling the MRs drones.

I aviation terms it is rotor craft for helicopter and multi rotor for multi rotor helis and fixed wing for airplanes.

I am an old guy.
2015-11-4
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.4
United States

flying-camera Posted at 2015-11-4 19:10

MR is Multi Rotor.

We have called them that for years now. I kind of don't like the word drone, but I am slowly giving in, I even find myself calling the MRs drones.

I aviation terms it is rotor craft for helicopter and multi rotor for multi rotor helis and fixed wing for airplanes.

I am an old guy.
2015-11-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

That is a great story, actually  phantom is pretty tough
2015-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules