Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Led spotlight?
7559 25 2015-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
venturedrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326693 ft
United States

Im looking for a super bright led light i can mount to the bottom of my p3. Ultimately, i want to be able to switch it off/on with the remote, but the priority now is finding the brightest mountable led!
2015-11-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Are you wanting it for visibility at a distance so you can see it, or for lighting up an area underneath?  If you want it to help you find it in the low light sky, be sure it is omni-directional, not a spot light.  A spot light will put a 'controlled' light in a narrower pattern wherever you aimed it.
2015-11-7
Use props
venturedrone
lvl.3
United States

I want a spotlight to record and see things on the ground at night.
2015-11-7
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

You're going to need more than just and led, you also need a driver to run the led and a reflector to focus the light.

The highest lumen led made today that is cost effective is the Cree XHP-70 with the XHP-50 coming up a close second. Both led's require 6 plus volts to operate, so it's going to require two 18650 batteries or a buck converter to boost the voltage.

If truly looking for a spot light, I'd look at a P60 intended for a Surefire P6 light since everything is potted in one complete part. For flood you'll need something like a custom drop in made by a guy on candlepowerforums named Vinh. The Chinese Ultrafire lights are the right price to but aren't self contained like a P60 drop in is.
2015-11-7
Use props
venturedrone
lvl.3
United States

Yes, looking for a spotlight that I can wire into the existing lighting so that I can turn them off and on using the DJI GO app.
2015-11-10
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

venturedrone Posted at 2015-11-10 15:27
Yes, looking for a spotlight that I can wire into the existing lighting so that I can turn them off ...

Try something like this then. You could attach one to each "wing" and not increase the weight more than a couple of ounces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Q5-LED-3V-18V-Replacement-Bulb-Lamp-for-Surefire-6P-9P-G2-M2-Z2-M951-M952-/351572110027?hash=item51db54aacb:g:F78AAOSwPgxVRtDY
2015-11-10
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.1

United States

Ok so I have on 2 occasions hooked lights to the phantom. Once with my 200 lumen headlamp, and once with my nitecore flashlight which beams about 1000 lumens. The headlamp I just tightened until snug, aimed the light, and flew. It was lame and left me with a few extremely grainy photos that could barely be made out.  Now the nitecore I attached with silicone tape that is like rubber and only sticks to itself. It worked just ok. Was way better than the headlamp, but still fell very short of being able to produce a worthy photo. You'll want a very wide light unless you plan to really crop down the image afterwards, don't care much about the quality, or sorta want the "spotlight" style photo.... A good light at 1000 lumens is pretty bright, I haven't any idea what a professional camera flash produces, but my experiments came nothing close to the quality I see in flash photos.... Hope this helps a little. Good luck, keep us posted on what u end up with
2015-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi,
Check the unit here, out! You could mount it underneath.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/3dpro- ... .html?cPath=382_397

A forum friend velcro'd a bright, white, battery operated, LED diode to the front, of his Phantom 3 Advanced.
It is a noticeably different flight experience, than flying without that additional orientation marker, for him.
I just use my helpful red compass pointer, in the Go App, if when, I need directional assistance.
Or if I momentarilly had lost visual contact of the bird, rarely if very temporarily, during flight.

RedHotPoker
2015-11-10
Use props
venturedrone
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-10 17:47
Hi,
http://www.rc711.com/shop/3dpro- ... .h ...

Yes, but this isn't for directional assistance, its for searching at night.
2015-11-11
Use props
venturedrone
lvl.3
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-11-11 08:37
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Q5-LED-3V-18V-Replacement-Bulb-Lamp-for-Surefire-6P-9P-G2-M2-Z2-M951- ...

Those look promising, but from what I've read, they need to have a heat sink to keep them from overheating.  I wonder how much juice they would draw from the battery...
2015-11-11
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

venturedrone Posted at 2015-11-11 12:08
Those look promising, but from what I've read, they need to have a heat sink to keep them from ove ...

Driving the drop in unit at 1000 lumens will gain some heat. You should be able to get 5 minutes before it gets to 120F or there abouts. You do have one advantage is that the quad will have plenty of airflow.

A thousand lumens at 12 volts will pull close to 2 amps. Increase the voltage and the amperage will drop.

I don't know if switching the power on and off fast will allow for the light to do mode changes or not. In the Surefire 6P light, twisting the body on and off causes the mode change for low to medium to high.

You could contact Gene Malkoff as he's one of the designers of the P60 drop-in  and instead of an aluminum body uses brass and pots his electronics.
2015-11-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

venturedrone Posted at 2015-11-11 07:50
Yes, but this isn't for directional assistance, its for searching at night.

My bad, I thought I wrote that you could mount it underneath? ;-)
I should have not posted anything.

Ok, Good luck.

RedHotPoker
2015-11-11
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-11-11 08:37
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Q5-LED-3V-18V-Replacement-Bulb-Lamp-for-Surefire-6P-9P-G2-M2-Z2-M951- ...

Though this module will work it doesn't produce a lot of lumen's and most of them are multi mode which means that when you turn them on and off they switch modes. You want to make sure they have a single mode power puck for this application. The Q5 emitter in that module only puts out about 300 lumens and has a very tight beam angle. The brightest emitter readily available is the Cree T-6 but it also gets very hot so you would want to make sure to mount it using metal an not touching the plastic. It also burns almost 1 amp of power so it can go through batteries pretty quick but your talking 1000 lumens.
2015-11-11
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

venturedrone Posted at 2015-11-12 01:08
Those look promising, but from what I've read, they need to have a heat sink to keep them from ove ...

That unit is all aluminum so it is it's own heat sink but they do get hot in operation. I have a couple laying around I can check out to see what the output looks like. They need at least 6V to work
2015-11-11
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-11 09:47
Hi,

Those units don't produce much throw. They are more to be seen by than to see by
2015-11-11
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

rzade@hotmail.c Posted at 2015-11-12 01:14
Though this module will work it doesn't produce a lot of lumen's and most of them are multi mode w ...

Good luck finding a T6 binned led that puts out 1000 lumens @ 1 amp.

I suggested this dropin for a couple of reasons.

It operated over a wide voltage range. Most LED dropins only work on voltages between 3.7 and 8 volts. They were designed to be used in the Surefire P6 light that was powered by two CR123 batteries, as well as either RCR123  or 18350 cells.

Secondly, it was inexpensive. For the price, he could try the module out and if it didn't work well enough, the OP wasn't out a lot of money. This is a complete just run power wires and you've got focused light unit. Not select a host, reflector, driver, led  and battery and get light.

I've been into high powered custom flashlights for quite a few years. I have single emitters that put out over 4000 lumens, but draw 8+ amps to do so.

The XM-L emitter in the T6 bin was limited to around 600 lumens @ 1 amp.

This dropin being a 3 mode unit may be able to be bumped between low, medium and high just by flipping the switch for the arm lights. I don't own this one.  

I suggest calling Gene Malkoff the guru of the P60 dropin to ask him.

Find a dropin and post a link here for the OP to look at.
2015-11-12
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.3

United States

I just purchased these for night runs. Just attach the red to the rear legs and the white led to the front. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Silic ... :g:C50AAOSwyvBV9pnN
2015-11-12
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

americanrawlins Posted at 2015-11-13 04:39
I just purchased these for night runs. Just attach the red to the rear legs and the white led to the ...

Ok to see the copter but not enough to to see by.
2015-11-12
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-11-12 22:26
Good luck finding a T6 binned led that puts out 1000 lumens @ 1 amp.

I suggested this dropin for  ...

I build underwater lighting so I am familiar with the output of different emitters and their current draw.  I am very aware of the practice of inflating lumen values to sell product.  It is almost impossible to get accurate numbers on output. Most are strictly pie in the sky numbers that really mean nothing. There is no way to insure what bin your going to get when you buy a drop in no matter what emitter they have. The U2's are more efficient than the T-6's
The big thing to realize is more lumens = more power consumption= bigger batteries= more weight. The prices of the various modules isn't large but it takes a lot of experimentation to find the sweet spot.  
2015-11-12
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-10 18:47
Hi,

Red, that system is for a P2. They are a different voltage than a P3. I saw the same LED on ebay but with a voltage converter that worked on a P3. I will see if I can find a link.
Here are a couple that work for the P3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Camera-Head-Light-Daylight-Bright-White-for-DJI-Phantom-3-Professional-/262050846144?hash=item3d037295c0:g:9n8AAOSwVL1V-PH~
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Bright-4-LED-Projector-Search-Light-Fr-DJI-Phantom-3-Night-Flying-2-models-/261961942204

2015-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yup, you are right. Will Need to have that other bit.
Here's something, that will light up your world. Hahaha
Phanton 3 Spotlight Mount
http://www.shapeways.com/product ... t?optionId=57869692
And then stick this bad boy on there.
From Streamlight, Tactical Spotlight
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077RHY6W
Bright enough for ya? ;-)

RedHotPoker

2015-11-13
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-11-13 10:01
Red, that system is for a P2. They are a different voltage than a P3. I saw the same LED on ebay bu ...

Though that first unit seems bright it has no throw.  Anything more than 8' or so you won't get hardly any light at all.
2015-11-20
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-13 14:59
Yup, you are right. Will Need to have that other bit.
Here's something, that will light up your worl ...

how does this wire into the unit?
2015-11-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Not sure about Into, just onto. ;-)
If bright light is what you want...

RedHotPoker
2015-11-21
Use props
Ithacus
lvl.1

United States

venturedrone Posted at 2015-11-11 12:08

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recharge ... :g:VTEAAOSw-7RVHdH-

12.5 oz         that should do the trick if you can mount it.....   haha
2015-11-22
Use props
randy0331
New

United States

If you're looking for a plug-in lamp, you can reference this guide. You might want to consider a 12V DC MR16, though the brightness levels may not be enough.

If you're trying to do something custom, you'll have to research COB LEDs and their relevant heatsinking needs. Be sure to pair sufficient optics to focus the beam, because LEDs are 120 degrees by default.
2018-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules