Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Tilt Problem
666478 666478 2015-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tjlmoe
lvl.1

United States

Hey DJI folks!

I have recently bought an OSMO and absolutely love the quality of the device and the shots I am getting with it. There is a problem though that I am coming across, however. A little while in filming, the camera begins to show a tilt of about 15 degrees or so either to the right or left. Usually this happens after panning or moving the camera at all (the amount I move it doesn't matter). This makes it very difficult for me when trying to get a nice level shot without cropping down and rotating it correctly in post. I've ended up switching to a separate camera for some shots because of this problem.

I've tried both auto-calibration and horizon calibration in the DJI Go app over and over, both remaining unsuccessful in fixing this problem. If I hold the camera perfectly still when it's tilted it eventually goes back to normal after about 10-30 seconds, but that ain't gonna fly, ya know?

If you could help me with this problem, I would love to continue using this revolution of a camera without this minor irritating issue. Thanks a ton and thank you for your amazing products! If you would like an example of this issue, he is a Youtube video that someone made to review the Osmo:
2015-11-8
Use props
Maine Video Tou
lvl.2

United States

This is something I commented on in this forum a week ago when I first started using the Osmo. It appears that the gimbal loses horizontal level after panning in either direction after a short period of time. This looks like the same issue some DJI drone pilots have complained about months ago. I've also tried calibration on a level surface and making sure to power on the unit on a level surface, neither of which have helped.  
2015-11-8
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

tjlmoe, what FW are you using on your OSMO now, updating firmware could solve this issue
2015-11-8
Use props
tjlmoe
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-9 01:36
tjlmoe, what FW are you using on your OSMO now, updating firmware could solve this issue

I just updated to the new firmware a couple days ago. No change yet.
2015-11-10
Use props
Godzira
lvl.2
United States

tjlmoe@gmail.co Posted at 2015-11-10 08:03
I just updated to the new firmware a couple days ago. No change yet.

I have the exact problem. I wonder if this issue is isolated on some  or it happens to all?
2015-11-10
Use props
dji-bengz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8225 ft
Hong Kong

HI tjlmoe,

The 50 fw is supposed to resolve the roll titling issue but we find it has limit for some cases.  We are improving it and hopefully to get the issue solved completely in next update.
2015-11-11
Use props
MrNick
lvl.2

United States

I'm experiencing the same phenomenon.  I end up putting the Osmo in selfie mode then back to my subject to correct the tilt and then using the joystick to capture my pan.  Not ideal for sure.  
2015-11-12
Use props
MrNick
lvl.2

United States

I'm experiencing the same phenomenon.  I end up putting the Osmo in selfie mode then back to my subject to correct the tilt and then using the joystick to capture my pan.  Not ideal for sure.  
2015-11-12
Use props
tjlmoe
lvl.1

United States

dji-bengz Posted at 2015-11-11 23:11
HI tjlmoe,

The 50 fw is supposed to resolve the roll titling issue but we find it has limit for so ...

Awesome. And thank you very much for taking the time to look into this problem.
2015-11-13
Use props
dji-bengz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8225 ft
Hong Kong

tjlmoe@gmail.co Posted at 2015-11-14 05:44
Awesome. And thank you very much for taking the time to look into this problem.

You are welcome.
2015-11-15
Use props
luisperez
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-9 02:36

I've updated and I still have a Horizon issue can't use it like that, very disappointing, hope you guys can fix this soon I can't use it with that kind of flaw.
2015-11-19
Use props
teerasej
New

Thailand

Found same problem here in Thaland. I found the Tilt problem will happen when you applied enough shake to the OSMO, which is normally when you start to walk and run while you're holding OSMO in your hand Latest version of firmware doesn't solve the tilt problem.  

Looking forward to get new firmware soon. I decided to grab OSMO, not GoPro Hero because auto-Tilt and smooth image stabilisation. Without them, OSMO is so useless.

Anyway, I'm curious about 'profile' in OSMO that's now set to C2. What is it and is this fixing from latest firmware?
2015-12-7
Use props
teerasej
New

Thailand

[sorry for accidentially double post]
2015-12-7
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

I have the same problem,the FW update, calibration etc doesn't  fix it,I get horizon tilting and humble drifting, be good when this issue gets fixed, hopefully nest FW update
2015-12-8
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

teerasej Posted at 2015-12-8 14:14
Found same problem here in Thaland. I found the Tilt problem will happen when you applied enough sha ...

C1 and C2 are the custom gimbal setting, turn on the Advanced, you can set all the gimbal settings individually.
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

teerasej Posted at 2015-12-8 14:15
[sorry for accidentially double post]

It's ok, sometimes the forum seems like to double post the reply accidentally.
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2015-12-9 08:32
I have the same problem,the FW update, calibration etc doesn't  fix it,I get horizon tilting and hum ...

Try to calibrate the gimbal once you turned on the Osmo, it will help relieve the drift problem.
2015-12-9
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Australia

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-10 15:01
Try to calibrate the gimbal once you turned on the Osmo, it will help relieve the drift problem.

I do calibrate the gimbal every time before using the osmo,dosn't make much of a difference, but what i did find is, if you twist your wrist back and forth just after starting the osmo then operate the gimbal with your thumb stick pan left and right then bring it back to the center manually, it seems to be ok, I only do this when I want to do a time-lapse, stops the gimbal moving and jumping around while its taking the time-lapse pic's,
I also get horizon tilt , I can't seem to fix this (except to manually correct it) ,Mostly happens when its mounted in the car, after turning a corner, and it dose level out eventually,  hopefully the next FW update will help these issues?
2015-12-9
Use props
Maine Video Tou
lvl.2

United States

There doesn't appear to be a solution to this issue we're all experiencing.  I've owned the Osmo for a couple of months now and since then there have been two firmware updates released. Neither of them have addressed the horizon tilt drift.  The real question is, does the camera on the Osmo have an accelerometer built in so it can detect what true level is?  Without it, we may never see a satisfactory solution.
2015-12-10
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Maine Video Tou Posted at 2015-12-11 06:51
There doesn't appear to be a solution to this issue we're all experiencing.  I've owned the Osmo for ...

Yes, gimbal calibration is just a temporary solution, and we all know that it can't solve the real problem. We need to improve the program algorithm. I am really sorry for the problem caused in your shooting, we will try our best to fix this horizontal tilt problem. Your understanding will be greatly appreciated.
2015-12-10
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2015-12-10 15:53
I do calibrate the gimbal every time before using the osmo,dosn't make much of a difference, but w ...

Yes, we will try our best to solve this problem since it's a serious one which have influenced the normal shooting.
2015-12-10
Use props
Hendrikvw
lvl.1
New Zealand

Any eta on the fix? Osmo is nearly unusable with this issue...
2016-1-17
Use props
tjlmoe
lvl.1

United States

Hendrikvw Posted at 2016-1-17 17:26
Any eta on the fix? Osmo is nearly unusable with this issue...

I'm with you. Any eta on the solution? I've just decided to leave my OSMO at home until this issue is fixed. Kinda stinks leaving $700 at home.
2016-1-20
Use props
GorillyJoe
New

United States

I'm going to have to bump this. New Osmo owner here; had to revert back to using my DSLR for handheld indoor shots because I kept coming across this issue.

DJI; would love to be able to get this issue tackled soon. It isn't terrible for some shots, but others where there are noticeable horizontal planes and lines, it becomes troublesome.

Any update would be appreciated. ETA's in the tech world are fickle things, we'd just like to know that the issue is being worked on and DJI's equipment will be up to the standards we expect.
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

GorillyJoe Posted at 2016-1-28 06:24
I'm going to have to bump this. New Osmo owner here; had to revert back to using my DSLR for handhel ...

being on the latest firmware has not helped?And those experiencing this, you havent accidently powered up and left the gimbal on a bunch of times have you?
2016-1-27
Use props
GorillyJoe
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-27 14:37
being on the latest firmware has not helped?

Negative. I just updated to the latest firmware patch last night before my shoot this morning after reading this thread. The issue was not corrected.
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

GorillyJoe Posted at 2016-1-28 06:39
Negative. I just updated to the latest firmware patch last night before my shoot this morning afte ...

I'd suggest calling support at 818-235-0789 and possibly sending it in for repair.
2016-1-27
Use props
meteorosz
lvl.2

I have this same tilt drift problem as many, many others.

Given the number of people complaining about this issue, it doesn't seem like it's anything that could be solved by sending the Osmo in for repair.
2016-2-21
Use props
Maine Video Tou
lvl.2

United States

I'm also on the latest firmware and still have some horizon drift when panning with the Osmo.  I do want to say that it is better with the .80 firmware as compared to the .60, but still not perfect.  What DJI needs to do is implement some kind of horizon lock feature that will not change regardless of Operator movement.  I will wager a guess that the horizon drift is partially due to the algorithms that DJI uses to sense movement especially during panning, and the low centripetal force that is applied to the camera when panning is throwing the horizon off.  You should be able to rest the handle vertically on a level table and rotate the it from side to side while in follow mode and not have the camera lose level horizon.
2016-2-21
Use props
keuchhusten
lvl.2

Germany

@ Dji: Any hints for that problem? Still waiting to get it solved! .80 Firmware and everytime calibration still isn't working!
2016-3-3
Use props
rodAndTheCat
First Officer

New Zealand

keuchhusten Posted at 2016-3-4 07:25
@ Dji: Any hints for that problem? Still waiting to get it solved! .80 Firmware and everytime calibr ...

I also have this drift left/right problem. All updates and calibrations in place.

DJI , in the next firmware update could you fix this along with the audio "click" and "loss of sync"problems?

Do this, and we have a fine piece of equipment to add to our camera stock.
Rod and the cat.
2016-3-3
Use props
nico_mav
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-4 02:49
I also have this drift left/right problem. All updates and calibrations in place.

DJI , in the ne ...

Same here, no audio clicks, but drifting left/right and audio out of sync.
Dji must give us some free credits as a complement...
2016-3-4
Use props
rodAndTheCat
First Officer

New Zealand

nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2016-3-5 08:29
Same here, no audio clicks, but drifting left/right and audio out of sync.
Dji must give us some f ...

I would rather not give them the easy option of free credits, but much rather they addressed the problems, or at least told us what they are doing to address the problems!

Rod and the cat.
2016-3-4
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-5 05:40
I would rather not give them the easy option of free credits, but much rather they addressed the p ...

have the same drifting left and right issue despite countless gimbal calibrations. I will be returning this to best buy this week until this issue gets solved perfectly. The fundamental part of being a stabilized solution is failing for most people using the Osmo. I'm unable to just walk in a straight line without it drifting left or right on its own, it does not want to stay pointed straight at all.
2016-3-7
Use props
rodAndTheCat
First Officer

New Zealand

sunny051488 Posted at 2016-3-8 20:32
have the same drifting left and right issue despite countless gimbal calibrations. I will be retur ...

Yes, there are many threads here now and DJI still do not give the courtesy of an acknowledgement.

What a pathetic company!! almost great product but probably the worst customer support in the world!!

Guys, just keep posting your problems to this forum, eventually (maybe) someone important at DJI might read them and realize that their PR is being seriously tainted, and that once loyal customers will turn elsewhere eventually.
Rod and the cat.
2016-3-8
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-8 13:49
Yes, there are many threads here now and DJI still do not give the courtesy of an acknowledgement. ...

i've been reading the Ronin forums as well and theres countless people being plagued with pan drift issues over there too caused by a firmware upgrade.
2016-3-8
Use props
tjlmoe
lvl.1

United States

Did this recent firmware update fix this issue?
2016-4-8
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Australia

tjlmoe@gmail.co Posted at 2016-4-9 00:01

I won't say yes, but it's a lot better
2016-4-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

tjlmoe@gmail.co Posted at 2016-4-9 00:01

In the latest  firmware v1.6.2.10 & v1.5.2.0, we've got lots of improvement including the horizontal issue, please refer to the Release Note in our official webstie: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Notes_en_160324.pdf
2016-4-10
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2

I am still having this issue and am on the latest firmware. I was looking into buying the x5r to use with the osmo but after mounting my x5 and seeing yaw cause horizontal drift I cant justify spending the money. I bought my Osmo second hand and the past owner thought this was acceptable. I am ready to buy another OSMO but  after seeing the complaints here I will hold off. Obviously DJI will not warranty the product that I bought used from Ebay. But they should fix the problem......
2016-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules