Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Tilt Problem
30409 75 2015-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tjlmoe
New

United States

Just read the firmware notes again. I'm not seeing any official fix to the horizon being offset at random.
2016-5-24
Use props
tjlmoe@gmail.co Posted at 2016-5-25 01:15
Just read the firmware notes again. I'm not seeing any official fix to the horizon being offset at r ...

I ended up buying a 2nd unit and it displayed the same frustrating loss of Horizon while panning. I have ordered a third unit from B&H and it should be here tomorrow. If it displays the same problem you can be assured that I will post it up here on the forums. Eventually if I buy say, 50 of them and they have the same problem then DJI will have to take notice at their profit loss.

I will just keep buying and sending them back, they will get returned to DJI and I will start marking them in the battery compartment so people know that they are getting a used inoperable unit. There has been no software fix for this issue, it may have helped some but its a hardware pcb issue. Acc/gyro secured by its heat pad on the electronics board?
2016-5-24
Use props
Air2AirPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48868 ft
United States

I have the same problem.  I feel it's related to acceleration and deceleration whereby the feedback loop is not properly adjusting for the increase or decrease in G-units...  If one pans with no accel or decel, there doesn't appear to be much of an issue.  However, that instant perpendicular acceleration or deceleration in the pan seems to throw the logic...  Just my findings.  If they'd open up the software for evaluation we'd probably have much faster updates and real working units...
2016-5-24
Use props
drikin
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I have exactly same horizontal issue with the latest firmware.
Did you still notice this issue is remaining?
2016-6-16
Use props
drikin Posted at 2016-6-17 14:04
I have exactly same horizontal issue with the latest firmware.
Did you still notice this issue is re ...

Yep still there.... I cant use my x5 with the OSMO even thought it works perfect with the x5r.
2016-6-17
Use props
drikin
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Burlbark Posted at 2016-6-18 00:10
Yep still there.... I cant use my x5 with the OSMO even thought it works perfect with the x5r.

Good to know Burlbark.
Sounds like I'm not only person who remaining in this issue
Then now I wonder if DJI is still improving it or not noticing.
2016-6-17
Use props
drikin Posted at 2016-6-18 02:02
Good to know Burlbark.
Sounds like I'm not only person who remaining in this issue
Then  ...

I have an RMA.... it took 22 days of back and forth before they said send it in.... No good.

2016-6-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Burlbark Posted at 2016-6-18 14:56
I have an RMA.... it took 22 days of back and forth before they said send it in.... No good.

Hello.
Please tell me your RMA No. or Ticket No. so that we can help to follow up your case.

If you need any further help, please let me know.
Thanks.
2016-6-18
Use props
djrrocha23
New

Canada

I noticed something a little off with the first few videos I took, and now the more I film with this device, the worse it gets! I notice it in /all/ of my videos and it is quite frustrating. It's the worst when I double tap the trigger to centre the camera.

I have the latest firmware, I have calibrated time and time again, and have manually calibrated via the horizon calibration option, which evens it out, but God forbid you turn the camera because every other horizon will be out of whack by 45 degrees. On top of it all, it seems like it has been an on-going issue for many others =\

I'll be in contact with your respective departments DJI, I'm seriously considering a refund.
2016-7-28
Use props
jclee4
New

Just got my new Osmo in the mail today and I'm here writing this because of the same problem! Hopefully a new firmware update will correct this wide spread issue. Am I right in saying that this is happening with only some Osmos and not all?
2016-8-5
Use props
dji08
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3550807 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've owned my OSMO for 3 weeks and took it to Iceland to film our vacation.  My kids started complaining and I didn't believe them.   After playing with it more and more on shots that hold a true horizon, I can see it's actually quite bad at times.
2016-8-18
Use props
mzakhri
lvl.1
Singapore

I was just about to buy an Osmo but I came to do my research about problems with the Osmo, is this issue not been fixed yet? If it hasn't i'll hold off on getting one..
2016-8-19
Use props
ficelle
lvl.1

France

same problem for me. the Osmo is very frustrating to be used like that.
Hope this Will be corrected soon!
2016-8-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry, we're aware of this issue and are working for a solution.
2016-8-28
Use props
eddy76tm
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi,

October firmware did not fix the issue. I have the Osmo for 2 months now and as i spend more time with it i start to realize that this issue is killing the whole ideea.
DJI, you have to do more to fix this issue. But if this is a problem due to using poor hardware (gyro or accelerator or what may it be) then this is not fixable trough software.
Is it ? a hardware issue ?
2016-10-31
Use props
eddy76tm
lvl.1

Netherlands

eddy76tm Posted at 2016-10-31 22:25
Hi,

October firmware did not fix the issue. I have the Osmo for 2 months now and as i spend more ti ...

I am curious if Osmo+ owners have the same issue ?
2016-10-31
Use props
fans2a16db41
lvl.1
Canada

eddy76tm Posted at 2016-10-31 08:49
I am curious if Osmo+ owners have the same issue ?

Yep. Just picked up the Osmo+ last week. Had it mounted on the roof of my truck today and noticed this every time I turned a corner. It does eventually come back to level but it takes atleast 30s. Had the same thing in a 260 degree motion panorama... Very disappointed.
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

eddy76tm Posted at 2016-10-31 22:25
Hi,

October firmware did not fix the issue. I have the Osmo for 2 months now and as i spend more ti ...

Sorry, it is the limitation of the hardware. No gimbal of this price range can avoid it, if this makes you feel better.
2016-11-2
Use props
eddy76tm
lvl.1

Netherlands

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-2 16:11
Sorry, it is the limitation of the hardware. No gimbal of this price range can avoid it, if this m ...

Finally,

I was under the impression that the people in here are waiting for a firmware upgrade as DJI-H.C was saying ... but i guess that was for keeping the flame of hope ...
Actually, it wont make me feel any better, my shots will have the same horizontal issue ... meaning a lot of nerves in post production but anyway, thanks for stating the obvious.

At least people can take off from the forum and start thinking about the next move, either learning to live with it, either selling it ... the idea is to move on.

What about the X5 and X5 Raw ? do they have the same issue ?

2016-11-2
Use props
fans3dc020c4
lvl.1

France

Waiting for a solution too... Osmo is unusable in this state.
verry frustating
2016-11-4
Use props
fansaf36dc5f
Flight distance : 1797297 ft
United States

Have the same issue with the X5
2016-11-4
Use props
eddy76tm
lvl.1

Romania

Just found out if you put the camera in SPORT mode, it helps the gimbal to recover more quicker, but the gimball is more "stiff" in movement.
2016-11-18
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-2 03:11
Sorry, it is the limitation of the hardware. No gimbal of this price range can avoid it, if this m ...

DJI-Thor... yikes, Respectfully... that is a terrible answer.  A gimbal serves only a couple of functions... to smooth out unwanted motion and to keep the camera level.

For a $700 price point, I can buy a notebook computer with a high resolution screen, that has a terabyte of storage and can store millions of documents, it can reach out and communicate with the world and with other peripherals through a large variety of protocols, it can play music, it can let me video chat with people across the globe, it can run for 10 hours on a single charge, it can play high resolution videos, it can do photo, video, and music authoring, it can play full-screen games... and on and on and on and on.

For $350 I have a watch that has a powerful processor, is waterproof, has built-in GPS to communicate with satellites, can answer calls, act as a remote for my TV, has voice recognition, can give me driving directions, tell me when to drink water, knows when I raise it to see the time, knows when I lower it, measures my heart rate, checks the weather, shows me my calendar events, lets me text, and on and on and on.

But for $700 I can't buy a gimbal that can figure out when it has returned to level?  Doesn't make sense.  The gimbal knows when it is level to start with, but then it goes wonky and forgets where level is.  Certainly seems like there could be code written to have the gimbal check in on itself once in a while.

2016-11-18
Use props
Skint
lvl.1
New Zealand

The gimbal uses gyroscopes and magnetometers for positioning. Gyroscope is looking at G forces so just like the fluffy dice hanging from your rear vision mirror will swing out when you take a hard corner so too will Osmos camera as it thinks gravity has changed positions. The panning is managed via a magnetometer, when the Osmo boots up it does a full pan to lock and counts its movements back to know where zero is. This pan also gives the magnetometer a sweep so it can find north and therefore know when you have rotated the handle and how much.

The issue here is having the processor crammed into the camera head with all the sensors there is a high chance of interference that will give the sensors a false reading and the Osmo will respond to the bad data. The DJI engineers know this and on newer systems they have separated them, even going as far to mention it in the blurb on the new X4S camera.

"The Inspire 2 utilizes an innovative structure that separates the CineCore 2.0 image processing system from the camera and places it inside the aircraft. This means that the sensor and optical system are detachable and easily connected using a newly designed quick-release connector. Designing the camera system in this way effectively protects the sensor from magnetic interference originating from the processor."

To sum up, your best option is move somewhere with a high magnetic field intensity, Russia or the South Island of New Zealand are both good options.
2016-11-19
Use props
Z3Lva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42356 ft
Czechia

Hello, i have same problem with my DJI OSMO X3, exist in this moment any solution?
Thank you, Martin
2016-12-2
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1121519 ft
  • >>>
United States

OSMO_FC550R_FW_V01.03.00.40 firmware, brand new Osmo with X5R, and the horizon drift is terrible terrible terrible.  My RX100 gimbal (Feiyu) is so much better.  Only excuse for this Osmo piece of junk is that ... um ... Oh, nice camera. (X5R)

DJI specialize in canted horizon.  
2016-12-9
Use props
stephanegimenez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1153780 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

Clearly not the only one with this issue then...

It would be so useful to be able to semi lock the PAN.  try and mount the OSMO in your car, e.g. document a road trip, and you will see what I mean. Even worse now that the drift happens so much...
2017-1-22
Use props
EIEIO
lvl.1

Malaysia

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-11-18 11:33
DJI-Thor... yikes, Respectfully... that is a terrible answer.  A gimbal serves only a couple of functions... to smooth out unwanted motion and to keep the camera level.

For a $700 price point, I can buy a notebook computer with a high resolution screen, that has a terabyte of storage and can store millions of documents, it can reach out and communicate with the world and with other peripherals through a large variety of protocols, it can play music, it can let me video chat with people across the globe, it can run for 10 hours on a single charge, it can play high resolution videos, it can do photo, video, and music authoring, it can play full-screen games... and on and on and on and on.

Mabou2 I too agree and am a little shocked at the response/rational given.

It's 2017 now... this issue has been ongoing since 2015 for what seems to be a lot/most users of the Osmo, Osmo+ and Osmo Mobile.

Appears that there is a common thread with DJI basically not acknowledging/addressing the issue with most of the feedback/complaints made here on their forum (which kinda makes having this forum redundant).

As a consumer I can accept that we should not expect a $700 gimbal to be of the same quality of a $7000 gimbal, but for the Osmo+, which basically is a "2nd generation" Osmo, to not perform its primary/most basic function as advertised is not really acceptable... having a horizon off axis is not shown in any DJI marketing material, so it is only reasonable to expect the product to work as advertised.

My ultimate hope is for DJI to have a solution for this problem for all current owners of their product, or at the very least a reasonable response for this issue. It is a shame as this is will be a great product once this issue is resolved.
2017-1-23
Use props
EIEIO
lvl.1

Malaysia

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-11-18 11:33

Mabou2 I too agree and am a little shocked at the response/rational given.

It's 2017 now... this issue has been ongoing since 2015 for what seems to be a lot/most users of the Osmo, Osmo+ and Osmo Mobile.

Appears that there is a common thread with DJI basically not acknowledging/addressing the issue with most of the feedback/complaints made here on their forum (which kinda makes having this forum redundant).

As a consumer I can accept that we should not expect a $700 gimbal to be of the same quality of a $7000 gimbal, but for the Osmo+, which basically is a "2nd generation" Osmo, to not perform its primary/most basic function as advertised is not really acceptable... having a horizon off axis is not shown in any DJI marketing material, so it is only reasonable to expect the product to work as advertised.

My ultimate hope is for DJI to have a solution for this problem for all current owners of their product, or at the very least a reasonable response for this issue. It is a shame as this is will be a great product once this issue is resolved.
2017-1-23
Use props
doms
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-8 23:36
tjlmoe, what FW are you using on your OSMO now, updating firmware could solve this issue

THAT DID NOT WORK! What is the solution?
2017-12-7
Use props
kowal63
First Officer
Flight distance : 579843 ft
  • >>>
United States

typical dji support.....don't appear to be a firmware fix for this issue....just tilt your head at an angle when you shoot
2018-8-9
Use props
Rualark
New
Russia

Hi. This problem is not fixed in 2019 year with the latest firmware yet. When to expect the fix?
2019-6-24
Use props
Elliot Hardy
New

Has this been fix yet?
2019-9-12
Use props
acidgreen
lvl.1

pls try forwarding this thread to the techsupport via email
2019-9-17
Use props
fansfd5807cd
New

Czechia

hi folks.
has somebody already solved this issue with loss of horizontal position during paning and moving? my osmo + started do this after some time i use it. i bought it second hand, but it worked nicely and properly in begining. this ussue appeared some months later. and i am not comment many drooped pixels in photo. but lightroom solve it automatically and in video pictures doesnt appear dropped pixels. But this horizon issue is horror! its has ruined part of my last job. a had to pretend that everything is ok to my client!!! hey DJI oficialls,how to solve it? my firmware is updated in 2019 autumn. so you didnt fixed this bug? ppl here coment this since 2015!!!
2020-11-25
Use props
itkujo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92116 ft
United States

Yeah any new info on this? This is is crazy
2021-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules