Blades stop during flight
1214 12 2015-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aviator24
New

United States

I have only had my P3P for a few days but after reading a lot about it I have a concern.  If I am understanding this correctly (and I may not be), it IS possible to stop the motors during a flight if the control sticks are put in the position that starts the blades?
I get that this may be a strange flight combination/input on the sticks, however if it is true and this will stop the blades during flight, couldn't there be another way to stop the blades?   One that wont allow my quad to plunge to its death?   I have noticed many people stating that the blades stopped spinning and caused a crash.  I cannot but wonder if this was the cause?  Is this flight control input not withing the limits of the quad?  
2015-11-10
Use props
tdrussell1
lvl.1

United States

I don't understand the premise of your question.  Yes, the CSC combo will stop the motors.  Those that have experienced crashes could have been from this, could have been battery failure, driving prop guard screws into the motors, etc, etc.
2015-11-10
Use props
Aviator24
New

United States

When landing I have gone to full down on the control (power) from a high altitude.  I have also done the full down on the stick while rotating the craft as I like to land with the "nose" facing away.  According to this CSC combo to stop the motor, I am one small stick movement away from killing the motors while performing a flight maneuver that is within the flight envelope of the P3P.  This just seems like a disaster waiting to happen and by the sounds of it, already has.  Seems to me they could have designed a better way to stop the blades that did not involve a possible inadvertent flight combination.  Or at least install some coding that would allow for an altitude check before making the motor cut out to determine if I am indeed trying to shut off the motors on the ground and not making an aggressive maneuver to avoid a pesky bird trying to take me out.
2015-11-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The CSC manoeuvre is not one you would normally get the aircraft into, so just avoid it, no big deal.
2015-11-10
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-10
Use props
Aviator24
New

United States

Well not only is it a dangerous way for the blades to stop, it is not safe to attempt this when the aircraft is on the ground.  I made this mistake following the directions and nearly had a blade strike!  Not sure why this is still showing as the proper technique to stop the blades.  I am sure as long as it does...blade strikes will happen after landing while trying to stop the motors this way...
2015-11-11
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

Aviator24 Posted at 2015-11-11 10:06
Well not only is it a dangerous way for the blades to stop, it is not safe to attempt this when the  ...

Hold down on your throttle a few seconds after landing to stop motors.
2015-11-11
Use props
Aviator24
New

United States

Yes, I figured this out.  They need to update the manuals to say just that.  Prevent a lot of problems...
2015-11-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is pretty simple really, if the aircraft thinks it has landed, then the left stick fully down method will stop the motors. Whether it has landed or not, the two sticks fully down and towards the center will stop the motors irrespective of whether the aircraft has landed or not. This is an important safety tool if the left stick routine does not work, ie the aircraft is stuck in a tree with the motors running. As long as you understand this, it is not really a problem.
2015-11-11
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-10 17:12
I have a blade chroma  and it has a dedicated (red) button that you have to hold for 3 seconds to st ...

I agree that one might have to be somewhat insane to press that red button during flight, but, yes, if you press it (and hold it) during flight, it *will* stop the motors!

My stable includes a Chroma and Phantom and a couple of others. I *do* like that push and hold technique on that button for the Chroma.

The Phantom (I have the P3 Pro) flies better, flies faster and camera control is superlative (there just aren't very many controls on the Chroma camera (I have the 1080 model). I do like the fact that it's pretty much "self-contained" relative to the Phantom.

I enjoy flying both of mine on a regular basis.

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-11-11
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-11
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The fact that you are concerned about this happening makes it unlikely that you will accidently put the sticks in that configuration.  It is kind of an automatic,  subconscious thing. Don't worry about it too much.
2015-11-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

You can check your flight records and see if it was caused by CSC or not
2015-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules