Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IMU CALIBRATION...WHAT TEMPERATURE?
3407 10 2015-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rox68
lvl.1

Italy

Hi, I have read s different posts about right temperature of Imu Calibration.
Someone tells that in importante to do IMU calibration in a  Very cold room, as a server room...
Some say to put the drone in the fridge before to do IMU calibration
Tthis tutorial http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=29724 suggest to do IMU calibration in a room with a temperature between 20 °C to 25 °C
what do you think about?
What is the perfect temperature?
Thanks

2015-11-11
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-11
Use props
arives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the cool of night to do the IMU calibrations. Put the drone out on the porch cover it from dew, and after about20 minutes the drone is cool enough to do an IMU calibration. Take the cooling time to make a level surface for the drone, away from any batteries, chargers, TV's, computers, etc. Turn off everything in a radius of 15 feet of the drone, that electrically could cause interference.  Then when the drone is cool, do the IMU calibration immediately after bringing the drone in from outside. Follow the start procedures, and walk out of the room with the RC and then start the calibration. Works for me.
2015-11-11
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.4

United States

I did the "fridge" method...got it down to about 40 degrees and then calibrated.  It fixed my video loss issue and the warm up time...
2015-11-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Room temp will likely result in longer warm up wait times after you boot up.  When I calibrated at 37 degrees, it went from minutes to less than one minute for warmup.  I'll do it again near freezing in the next few days.  Who knows what the PURRRFECT temperature is?  
2015-11-11
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-11
Use props
sdharris
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

This was covered a lot in the early days of the P3. Putting electronics in a freezer or fridge is not recommended. Depending on your climate put it outside for 10 minutes or if in a hot climat near an AC outlet indoors.

I found calibrating when its been in an environment of 10-15C will result in a warm up time of seconds rather than minutes. For example in the UK back in spring and early summer leaving it outside for 10 minutes in the evening.
2015-11-12
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi,rox
As it's told in the tutorial , room temperature is suggested . Enjoy your fight !
2015-11-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Rebel,

Ah yes, a man of few words!  

We only have room temp here in Hawai'i and we love to eat, so there is no room in the fridge.  I do like the idea of doing it on a cool night though.  But the hot and humid summer / fall nights we had this year would probably make things worse!

I noticed that if there is any sort of a problem - even like temperature - repeating the IMU calibration usually completes without a problem the next time.  But the repeat effort has not sped up my warm-up period.  Maybe I will try to rig something to cool it down.  But here we have serious humidity problems, so condensation is a problem with cool objects like P3s after an IMU calibration.  Hey, great excuse for a night flight!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-12
Use props
gregetz
lvl.1

Slovenia

I did it at evening 10 C yesterday evening. It worked perfectly. Do it at temperature below 20 C and act fast once you switch on the battery. Results are awesome, all issues gone.

2015-11-18
Use props
quanthonytrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No need to place it in the fridge.
Do it at night or early in the morning when temp is at coolest.
Just make sure the Phantom has NOT been flown for an hour and you do the advance calibration immediately the moment you fire up your phantom. If you leave it idling, the temps inside the P3 will increase and it will cause inaccuracy and hence longer boot/warm up times.

And also find a surface that is levelled with the horizon in all axis. Use a spirit/bubble level. This will prevent yaw drift. If done correct, the phantom should spin on a dime.
2015-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules