FPV Goggles - Oculus
4789 10 2015-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

So Oculus is coming out with goggles for the Sansang phone.  $99USD It is true HD - Quad HD Super AMOLED (2560×1440) and uses a USB Mirco connection.

Pre-order https://www.oculus.com/en-us/gear-vr/
Specs: http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/gearvr/gearvr_specs.html

Any idea if these will work in P3P?  

samsung_sm_r322nzwaxar_gear_vr_2015_edition_1444850593000_1188763.jpg
2015-11-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I looked at those, but from what I understand, you need to fit your RC with the HDMI output module, and then the goggles must have a HDMI input. And as near as I can tell, they don't have HDMI in, they are designed to be connected via a Samsung phone and that is a problem bewcause the Micro USB connection is needed to connect to the RC itself.
2015-11-12
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-13 10:26
I looked at those, but from what I understand, you need to fit your RC with the HDMI output module,  ...

It should work with the newer S6 range as they have the external micro usb ports. The only "possible" problem is that the GEAR VR will start the dedicated oculus app the moment you plug it in. The oculus app will block normal phone apps from being used.

The Innovators edition for the Note4 does not have an external micro usb port and will NOT work unless you remove the microUSB jack and direct wire it.
2015-11-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-11-13 10:55
It should work with the newer S6 range as they have the external micro usb ports. The only "possib ...

As I read it, the phone needs two USB ports, one to connect to the DJI RC unit and one to connect to the goggles, and they only have one. On that basis, it would not work.
2015-11-12
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-13 11:43
As I read it, the phone needs two USB ports, one to connect to the DJI RC unit and one to connect  ...

You need to understand how the GEARVR works. The micro USB is the locking mech in the headunit. This locking mech connects the headset to the phone and triggers the VR GUI. This also allows the side touchpad to work.

Now the updated GEARVR has an external micro USB charging port (not sure if its data capable). Users of the Innovators GEARVR complained that they couldn't charge while being immersed. Hence, only 1 USB port is required on the phone.
2015-11-12
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

this goggles look great, but however i'm not sure if it is compatible with phantom3
2015-11-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-11-13 14:42
You need to understand how the GEARVR works. The micro USB is the locking mech in the headunit. Th ...

"Now the updated GEARVR has an external micro USB charging port (not sure if its data capable). Users of the Innovators GEARVR complained that they couldn't charge while being immersed. Hence, only 1 USB port is required on the phone."

I do understand how the GearVR works, but the information on their website is woefully inadequate, and does not mention a USB port on the headset itself. If that USB port also connects through to the phone, then it may work with the DJI GO App, but if not, then I doubt it would work at all. I figure the headset is under full control of the appropriate app on the phone, and not able to process data from the RC unit.

Happy to be proven wrong, I hope some sucker buys one so they can come on here and tells us one way or the other, however, it won't be me.
2015-11-12
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-13 14:52
"Now the updated GEARVR has an external micro USB charging port (not sure if its data capable). Us ...

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearable-tech/SM-R321NZWAXAR

Support

Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition model supports both version of Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 edge and is not compatible with other smartphones or devices. Some gaming apps may require the use of a Bluetooth Android game controller to offer additional game controls.

At a Glance:
• Compatibility: Galaxy S6/S6 edge
• Package Contents: Gear VR Innovator Edition headset, pouch, replacement face foams, lens cleaning cloth, user manual, warranty statement
• Controls: Touch pad, dedicated back button, focus adjustment wheel, volume keys, phone lock key, USB port
• Download new applications from the Oculus store. Oculus store downloaded at device setup while following on-screen prompts. For more questions on device setup, please reference the inbox user manual.

Note: There is a Gear VR Innovator Edition version available that is compatible with Galaxy Note 4.
2015-11-12
Use props
AK Eagle
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-12 18:52
"Now the updated GEARVR has an external micro USB charging port (not sure if its data capable). Us ...

"I hope some sucker buys one so they can come on here and tells us one way or the other, however it won't be me." I always thought the point of a forum is for a group of people with a shared interest to come together and and feed off each other's  knowledge in a positive way. Maby we can figure it out in this thread so some hard working person can hopefully read this and don't have to throw away there hard earned money. Comments like that really sucks to read man!  
2015-11-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AK Eagle Posted at 2015-11-13 15:46
"I hope some sucker buys one so they can come on here and tells us one way or the other, however i ...

Yeah, it was a throw-away comment in jest, don't get knotted over it.

In any event, I have made my contribution by saying I don't think it would work, it is designed to play material from the phone, Samsuing hope it is stuff that you got after paying for a subscription to Milk. Seems it is OK for games, but which games, and there is no mention of being able to connect an external video source into it. For it to work with the DJI GO App, the USB port connecting to the phone would have to be used bi-directionally to feed data in from the RC, then out again to the goggles. My bet is that it cannot do this.
2015-11-12
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-12 20:57
Yeah, it was a throw-away comment in jest, don't get knotted over it.

In any event, I have made my ...

Aloha Geebax,

Yeah, I think you nailed it.  There is no output to an external source like you need for FPV googles.  All the Oculus related FPV googles are stereoscopic and require stereoscopic cameras.  Not quite ready for prime time.

It looks like a in-house unit from Samsung.  They have a very limited selection of stereo movies, etc.  But, I did have my hopes since I have a Samsung!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules