issue with wifi connection to phone
2233 13 2014-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cheryl
New

United States

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 with the DJI app to connect to my wifi extender.  When I go to fly and turn on the controller then the wifi extender and open the app but I cannot get the wifi to connect.  I occasionally see the phantom in the wifi list and I tell it to connect but is just saves it but doesn't connect .  Occasionally it works but usually not.  What should I do to get a quick and good connection?  Help please I want to flly

2014-12-23
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Quick just doesn't happen, gotta be patient.  

Two suggestions come to mind:
   1) In the camera settings, Set the Preview Quality to 320x240@15fps (this does not affect the quality that the camera is actually set to, only the preview image)
   2) I discovered a little glitch after I would remove SD card to transfer the video files to my computer.  Sometimes when I would reinsert the SD card it wasn't making good contact and I would get symptoms like the video wouldn't appear or it wouldn't record.  Now, the first thing I do when opening the DJI app is to go into the album folder and see if the app can actually read from the SD card album, if I get the little "waiting" circle that means the card doesn't have a good connection so I shut down the Phantom, then eject-install-eject-install-eject-install the SD card.  Then it's restart the Phantom and retry the DJI App again.

2014-12-23
Use props
cheryl
New

United States

That helps but what I am having trouble with is the wifi connecting to my phone so that I can run the app and the camera from my phone
2014-12-23
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Are you using android 5.0 lollipop? As there are issues with wifi connectivity. Try with different device.
2014-12-23
Use props
cheryl
New

United States

How do I find out if I am using android 5.0 lollipop?
2014-12-23
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

cheryl@steadyst Posted at 2014-12-24 06:54
How do I find out if I am using android 5.0 lollipop?

Go to settings on tablet or phone,  select developer  option or "about", to check the firmware version.
2014-12-23
Use props
cape003
New

Australia

Hi there,

Apparently the Lollipop upgrade has caused lots of issues. I was having the same problem...I found turning off 'Mobile data' helped connect to wifi straight away. This way you can use the app to start recording video. However, once i start the engines and take off, the app cuts out straight away, every time, without fail.

So i haven't been able to use FPV yet, but at least i can start/end recording. Hopefully DJI will upgrade the app for Lollipop!!!
2014-12-23
Use props
info
New

Kuwait

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-24 05:02
Quick just doesn't happen, gotta be patient.  

Two suggestions come to mind:

this didn't work with me and i am having the waiting circle with my iPhone 5s help?
2014-12-24
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

What Gil said about being patient is right, are you giving it time to work, after turning on the transmitter, the range extender and the phantom, it can take a minute or so for the Wi-Fi to show in the phone network.
Also the suggestion to turn off mobile data is a good one.
2014-12-24
Use props
kamikaze
lvl.2

Germany

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-12-25 04:19
What Gil said about being patient is right, are you giving it time to work, after turning on the tra ...

Additionally you can switch Wifi off and on again. Most time the Phantom than connects automatically to my Android device (causes through the strong homenet).
2014-12-24
Use props
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

It doesn't work real well indoors, if that's where you're testing it.  I had a hell of a time getting a connection, but when I went out to the open field---no problems.  However, I lose connection quite often during flight, and have a difficult time restoring it. Lately, after connection breaks and I try to restore it, I'll get a black screen...  I'll press the tiny camcorder icon (which is one of just a few features on the right edge of the black screen) and it'll tell me mem card not installed---Before it was always an exclamation point telling me connection broken---now it's a memory card issue---But if you really want footage from take-off to landing---forget the wifi---just press and hold the button on the bottom of the camera to record onto the mem card until you turn it off.
2014-12-24
Use props
icemanfred
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62 ft
United States

I am reading in the manual about some android devices , such as the note 3, having difficulty keeping a signal. I am reading thework around is unchecking the "auto network switch" under wifi setting in the device.
this might be your problem.

I am wondering  is there a compatibilty list of devices? or is it what version that creates problems.

Are you all just adding this " uncheck auto network switch" as part of your pre flight checklist??
2015-6-3
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Some user have reported with their Bluetooth turned on they have connection problems. Turn off Bluetooth and give it a try. just a shot...
2015-6-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

What I do is put my phone in airplane mode, then connect the wifi. That way Bluetooth is off and so is phone data and no calls can come in while I'm flying.
2015-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules