Hasselblad and DJI Form Strategic Partnership
1689 13 2015-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I think I see a chapeau.  Wow is this ever incredible news.

Talk about joining forces with a powerhouse high quality camera and lens manufacturer!!

Gothenburg and Shenzhen, 5 November 2015 – Hasselblad Group, the leader in high-quality professional cameras, and DJI, the world’s most-innovative aerial technology company, today announced a corporate partnership through DJI’s acquisition of a strategic minority stake in Hasselblad. DJI joins Hasselblad’s Board of Directors.

The partnership will allow opportunities and new ways of combining the technical knowledge and inventive spirit of the two industry leaders in their respective fields.

“We are honored to be partnering with DJI, the clear technology and market leader in its segment,” said Perry Oosting, Hasselblad’s CEO. “DJI and Hasselblad are equally enthusiastic about creativity and excellence, and we are looking forward to sharing technical expertise and paving the way for future innovations.”

“Hasselblad and DJI share a passion to provide creative people with cutting-edge, inventive technology to help them take visual storytelling to the next level,” said Frank Wang, DJI’s Founder and CEO. “With this partnership, we combine our strengths to further push the borders of what’s possible in imaging technology.”

Hasselblad and DJI will each focus on their individual strategic directions and related growth opportunities, with marketing and branding platforms continuing to delineate the two companies. Hasselblad cameras and equipment will continue to be handmade in Sweden, and DJI will continue to make products in Shenzhen, China. The partnership further establishes DJI’s leadership in the professional camera technology space.

DJI recently launched the modular Zenmuse camera system, including the Zenmuse X5 Pro and the Zenmuse X5 Raw – the world’s first Micro-Four-Thirds camera optimized for moving in space.

Hasselblad has a history of aerial photography, with its technology used in space on several NASA missions, including the first landing on the moon and several of the Apollo missions. Over the course of the company’s 75-year long history, the majority of Hasselblad’s business has focused on traditional medium-format cameras and photography equipment. In recent years, the company has made meaningful investments and announced significant product launches within the aerial arena, making a partnership with DJI a natural progression of the business.

MEDIA CONTACT DJI:

Adam Najberg, Director of Communications

Email: [url=mailtoR@dji.com]PR@dji.com[/url]

Imagine the Future of Possible now!! Hehehe

RedHotPoker

2015-11-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, I was discussing this partnership with the CEO of a very agile and fast-growing manufacturer of cinema camera products just the other day. His take on it was that Hasselblad had more to gain than DJI from this relationship.
2015-11-13
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

As a m43 user, I wonder if this means Hasselblad will make (or participate in design) m43 lenses for DJI Hasselblad x5...
2015-11-14
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Hasselblad  is getting killed in the digital DSLR market. Their claim to fame was wedding photographers. Yes, they made some specialty cameras, but wedding photographers was their bread and butter.

The least expensive Hasselblad  DSLR is almost $8k with no lens. Drop another $2k on a lens and you have to shoot a lot of weddings to get back your investment.

Hasselblad, like Mamiya, abandoned their base with the move to digital. For someone to have $8-12k tied up in lenses to find that they weren't compatible with the new cameras and made worthless overnight. My friends that have been in the business for years were very upset and are abandoning Hasselblad in droves.

For me having both RB67 and 645Pro camera systems with a full complement of lenses, my equipment value dropped by 80% overnight with the inclusion of a medium format DSLR system. Film's dead for the most part. The camera manufacturers could have done more to at least make their lenses compatible.

I wish them good fortune, but at the price of a Hasselblad, they're doomed.  

PS, the new lenses aren't nearly as sharp as the older lenses. Way too much plastic. Huge repair costs.
2015-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Why do I love my Nikon D800?
Because there are Nikkor lenses. . . ;-)
I have already picked up the new Nikkor 80-400mm. & Wow!!
I can appreciate the changes, even though some of the elder equipment is becoming more useless over time.
Heck, I infrequently play with my old, but not forgotten Nikon FE, on rare occasions. Hehe
You can still buy and process 35mm film, so all isn't completely lost in the digital world.

RedHotPoker

2015-11-15
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Great News, Pocker!
2015-11-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Just call me Red, Yes-yes it is great news. . .

Like the brilliant double rainbow, "What does it mean?" Hahaha
Will there be a Hasselblad camera on a future Phantom?

RedHotPoker
2015-11-16
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-15 23:09
Why do I love my Nikon D800?
Because there are Nikkor lenses. . . ;-)
I have already picked up the  ...

Red,   I've got 4 fast Nikkor telephoto lenses. The 300 2.8 AFS, the 400 2.8, the 500 F4, and the 600 F4. I'm using these with the D810 body.  At this point in my life, I'm not spending $30k to replace them with the latest and greatest glass. What I have is super sharp and I know how to focus on a spot for the outdoor photography I presently do

DJI I'm sure got a bargain on their Hasselblad investment.

I never could get used to shooting square, which was one reason I chose Mamiya for the 645 Pro and the RB67.

I had two of the 500CM's with the 80mm and 150mm  lenses. By the time I was finished purchasing what was required to shoot a wedding, I was in for close to $12k. Then I lost a lot of area for shooting square. Not my cup of tea.

As for having two cameras? Have you ever seen a wedding photographer that only took one camera to a wedding?
2015-11-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, those telephoto lenses are great for outdoor stuff. But they contain no auto focus motors, you need to rely on the camera body, or by hand. ;-)
I casually use the Nikkor 24-120mm for close up stuff, portrait and formal attire, as it's not so intrusive looking like those larger heavy glass lenses.
Nearly Everybody has a cell phone with a camera onboard, and are pretty much used to having their picture's taken these days.
But, when you bring out the 'big gun', people often scatter or stiffen up, and lose their loosened relaxed cool selves.
I currently use a pretty heavy duty, wild looking setup. I will take a few pics of my rig and post them, a bit later.
At the moment, here's my setup:
D800 is atop my Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT tripod, with the 80-400mm sleeve, connected to my pistol grip release a Vanguard GH-300T

Talk about rock solid stability and dependability. I actually prefer a heavy footing, over a Carbon fibre, lighter set of sticks, not when hiking to remote locations though.

RedHotPoker
2015-11-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I look forward to more interesting developments from both of these companies in the coming years.

There is never a shortage of awesome, beautiful, curious, delightful, energetic, frightful, gorgeous, hilarious, intelligent, jeering, knockout, luscious, musical, naughty, optimistic, prying, questionable, relishing, statuesque, teetering, utter, virile, wallowing, "Xtra-Special, yes, zilarating...

Things to take pictures of. ;-)

Doesn't matter what part of the world we live in, there is always something interesting, so much, to take pictures of, and share.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-23
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Thanks for the info Red.  Sold all my Hasselblad equipment from my wedding shooting days but I really enjoyed the quality.
2018-2-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantom One Posted at 2018-2-24 07:24
Thanks for the info Red.  Sold all my Hasselblad equipment from my wedding shooting days but I really enjoyed the quality.

Yes, they are a rich man's tool, and bread winner. The Cadillac of an active photographers equipment....

It would be great if any camera was adequate. Perhaps for many the cell phone is the answer.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-24
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-16 15:59
Yeah, those telephoto lenses are great for outdoor stuff. But they contain no auto focus motors, you need to rely on the camera body, or by hand. ;-)
I casually use the Nikkor 24-120mm for close up stuff, portrait and formal attire, as it's not so intrusive looking like those larger heavy glass lenses.
Nearly Everybody has a cell phone with a camera onboard, and are pretty much used to having their picture's taken these days.

hmmm....  That sort of looks like my rig.

As to Hassy, time for pasture along with Kodak.  They never did well in cinema and got surpassed by the REDs.  Even in digital still, they were run over by Phase One.

My rig.

My rig.
2018-3-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-3-3 09:11
hmmm....  That sort of looks like my rig.

As to Hassy, time for pasture along with Kodak.  They never did well in cinema and got surpassed by the REDs.  Even in digital still, they were run over by Phase One.

Yes, similar great kind of support and usefulness.

You have a nice looking ballhead and rig right there. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules