Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Extremely disapointed with my OSMO
3468 16 2015-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
motoscoddie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Despite my Osmo seeming to be working correctly - as in the gimbal appears to be "stabilizing" - I'm getting very poor video results. No, not the corrupted video that some have experienced, but poor stabilization. In fact, I cannot tell much difference between a normal video camera and the Osmo for stability. Yes, I watched all of Annoying-Ty's tutorials, so I do walk with bent knees and I'm conscious of being smooth in my motion. I have also triple checked I have unlocked all three axes and done calibrations, etc. But I still just get appalling results!

Not only are my results showing a lack of stabilisation, there are some other issues with the Osmo that I am unhappy with:

I get regular beeps and "tap here to reset gimbal" (or something like that) messages in the Go app. Then the Osmo does a sort of reboot and then the video feed resets.

Battery life is appalling (as reported by others). Thankfully I bought a second battery.

The inbuilt microphone is a joke! All it provides is a constant recording of fan noise and unusable scene audio (plus the all too frequent beeping). Having a microphone jack means I may be able to attach my Rode video-mic. But I have no idea how. This lack of easily attaching an external mic means that the Osmo really is just another handheld drone camera that cannot create much other than scenes requiring post-production music.

The only thing that impresses me about the Osmo, is the Phone mount. What a quality engineered piece of equipment. Sadly, to me, it is attached to a very poor product.

To say I am extremely disappointed in the OSMO is an understatement.

Here’s hoping there’s something I have missed (re stabilisation) and someone in this forum can provide me with some tangible help.

2015-11-16
Use props
mogensdalsgaard
lvl.1

Spain

The same for me. I have returned mu Osmo, because the lack of stabilisation. And the sound. Im am have the feeling, that they have used a drone and not the Osmo to illustrate the difference between a handheld camera and the Osmo.
2015-11-16
Use props
mogensdalsgaard
lvl.1

Spain

The same for me. I have returned mu Osmo, because the lack of stabilisation. And the sound. Im am have the feeling, that they have used a drone and not the Osmo to illustrate the difference between a handheld camera and the Osmo.
2015-11-16
Use props
Richardrambone
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine works good, terrible battery life and the microphone is useless but everything else seems ok, i think there are a few defective units out there.
2015-11-16
Use props
sdchew
lvl.4

Singapore

I'm quite pleased with the amount of stabilization the Osmo provides. I posted a video footage a while back of my kid on his kick scooter and I was flat out running behind him. First attempt and the effects was noticeable even to folks who didn't realized I was using a gimbal. Lots of questions on my Facebook page on what I was using.

Yesterday I took my kid out to the trampoline park and filmed some footage using the Osmo. Now you can imagine there will be some amount of bouncing when you try running across a trampoline after a happily bouncing kid but I have to say I was seriously impressed with the Osmo. Even the wife, after watching the footage, was impressed. If its a wife pleaser, its a keeper.

One thing I learned after using it for a while is it is better to keep your arms away from your body and try to hold with your arms half extended, it dead on target. The Osmo will do the rest.
2015-11-16
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks sdchew, I appreciate the reply. I am also pleased you are getting great results.

Indeed, I have seen a lot of good footage from happy Osmo users, therefore, I expected similar results. Sadly, I simply cannot seem to accomplish it. I have checked all the settings in the app, including the various gimbal tweeks. Even looked on Youtube for tutes, etc. Nothing seems to help.

Just as an additional issue, I have noticed that my gimbal yaws slowly to the right when re-centred (re-centered). Also ends up way off point of aim when I use it and I am forever having to double-tap trigger to reset between shots. How normal is this?

One thing I have done is turn off the audio recording gimmick.

Anyway, I shall give it a few more days of trials and report back...

PS. It's been over two months since I have been motivated to take my Phantom 3 Pro out. Must do it some time soon!

2015-11-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

About the drift of the yaw, does it drift a lot ? Or does is just drift a little and very slowly? If it's the second case, that's an existing problem we're trying to solve currently.
The battery life can be consumed quickly if the gimbal moves a lot. So it's better to have another battery if you want to shoot very long and dynamic videos.
The inbuilt mic do recording the fan noise, so we provide extra mic port for external devices in order to get hight quality sound.
2015-11-16
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks DJI-Amy.

- The yaw drift is very slow and only a little, so happy to hear you are working on a fix.
- I have a second battery AND a second charger so I can charge both at once (not sure why, but hey).
- No need to explain about the mic. Only issue is how to mount an external mic effectively (if I ever decide I need sound).

Any ideas why my Osmo "seems" to be working, but stability is very poor? I have tried a C1 manual gimbal config with various settings, but nothing seems to make any difference.
2015-11-16
Use props
sdchew
lvl.4

Singapore

I experience the yaw drift too when I do testing by placing the Osmo on a fixed location and record continuously. To my understanding, the Osmo gimbal does not have encoders built in so I understand if this is something they can't fully control (I used to work with robotics back when I was in school).

However, the drift doesn't impact me much as my current use situation is seriously flat out running with a lot of motion.

One thing to keep in mind is the Osmo is a 3-axis and not a 5-axis gimbal. In other words, it cannot compensate for translational movement (number 3 and 4 in the picture).

I actually found this video which shows very similar results in what I'm getting. In my scenario, I'm actually running and bouncing in an attempt to keep up with my kid and the footage still looks very usable and not at all 'blair witch like'.
2015-11-17
Use props
ke-now
lvl.4
Australia

Try locking/disabling the pan and tilt 'smoothtrack' in gimbal settings. Then you must use the joystick for panning and tilting. Camera will then stay fixed all the time, unless you use joystick or double-trigger tap to re-center. Try this and see how it goes. Definitely lock/disable the tilt axis at least, you won't normally want the Osmo tilting by itself.

Don't forget to auto-calibrate on a stable surface. Remove the phone holder, place Osmo on dead flat table. Activate auto calibration in settings. Also unlock the gimbal before turning it on.  

2015-11-17
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for all your suggestions and examples of decent results. Happy for you all.

Nevertheless, after trying various things, I am still EXTREMELY disappointed with what I am getting out of mine! In fact, I am at the stage where I hate the site of the thing. I certainly DO NOT want to risk videoing anything important with my Osmo and have not had the chance to use it for anything but different test shots (which have all failed). It simply shakes (mostly vertically) waaay too much to be classified as "stabilized". I can get similar results from my standard video camera or phone.

If my unit is faulty (and I suspect that is the case with one of the axes), I just don't have the patience to deal with it. What is the return policy for units sold into Australia?
2015-11-27
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Here's some footage of the EXTREMELY POOR results I get from my Osmo. Rubbish!

2015-11-28
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

sdchew Posted at 2015-11-17 03:43
I experience the yaw drift too when I do testing by placing the Osmo on a fixed location and record  ...

Great informative review. Thanks for sharing
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

motoscoddie Posted at 2015-11-29 09:20

Youtube video...

First, sorry to see that you're getting unexpected stabilization. A few suggestions:

1) Try setting your deadband higher for your tilt and pan axis under C1 and shoot the same footage. This should eliminate the constant up/down tilting and side-to-side panning.

2) If that doesn't do anything, try setting back to factory default settings.
2015-11-29
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks DJI-Paul.

So, how high should I set deadband? Tilt was on 5, so I upped it to 50 and it results in the same horrible nodding effect. In fact, NO DIFFERENCE! I will try it set to 100.

I also get the *@#$%^*&$# beeping after about 2-3 minutes (recording or not) and then the app image freezes, the Osmo shuts down, restarts and keeps on BEEPING! The recorded video after that is even worse! Like the example at the end of my sample video - as though I am using a non-stabilized phone/camera.

I will also try a factory reset. I really do want this thing to work as I am not looking forward to the whole return/refund process.

2015-11-30
Use props
job.genders
lvl.3

Netherlands

motoscoddie Posted at 2015-11-29 02:20

Youtube video...

It almost looks like it's too slow catching the motion, so it is infact enhancing the bumps in the video. But i would take this thing back where you bought it. This is worse than optical or digital stabilisation!
2015-12-5
Use props
Goslist
lvl.1

India

Same situation here. Wanted to go for an alternative however stuck with Osmo and now I regret my decision.
2019-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules