Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Very poor video quality. Need help.
17301 29 2015-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
norlandpubinc
lvl.1

United States

Ok so I just got my osmo and it works in every aspect that it should but the video quality is terrible.  My iPhone takes cleaner video.  I have tried auto video settings and manual and I have tried 4K to 1080 to 720 and they all look grainy and blurry.  I own an inspire 1 so I know what this camera can do and I don't even need to post edit my inspire 1 footage.  when I try to watch my footage on computer off of the card my computers can't even play the footage back clean.  I have to put it in my video editing software and render it just to watch the video straight through and the quality is garbage.  Any advice would be a great help.  I need to make a decision on wether I'm keeping it by Wednesday.
2015-11-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Could you please upload some orginal videos of different resolution and reply the link here? I need to check the files in the sd card to rule out the hardware issue. Thanks!
2015-11-16
Use props
norlandpubinc
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-16 22:36
Could you please upload some orginal videos of different resolution and reply the link here? I need  ...

Sure I will.  How do you want me to upload them? Do you want rendered files from adobe premiere or straight files from card?  I have not uploaded anything to the forum before.
2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

China

norlandpubinc Posted at 2015-11-17 21:43
Sure I will.  How do you want me to upload them? Do you want rendered files from adobe premiere or ...

Straight files from the card please, can you try to upload it to MEGA, then I can download it.
2015-11-17
Use props
norlandpubinc
lvl.1

United States

I will do it asap if you tell how to upload to the mega? I'm not sure what that is.
2015-11-17
Use props
norlandpubinc
lvl.1

United States

I uploaded 2 videos to box.com.  if you give me an email address i can invite you to download them and watch.  I uploaded original 4k footage and the rendered footage from Premiere.
2015-11-17
Use props
Alastair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

norlandpubinc Posted at 2015-11-17 22:35
I will do it asap if you tell how to upload to the mega? I'm not sure what that is.

Never heard of MEGA either!  I'm toying with the idea of purchasing the OSMO as well however, with all the issues its having I'm not so sure now.  I'd be curious to know what the outcome is for you.  I'm not sure I want to be a beta tester for this product.
2015-11-17
Use props
norlandpubinc
lvl.1

United States

Alastair Posted at 2015-11-17 10:00
Never heard of MEGA either!  I'm toying with the idea of purchasing the OSMO as well however, with ...

It's very disheartening.  Unless I hold mine completely still it's out of focus.  Mechanically it works fine but the video quality is terrible compared to my inspire 1
2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Alastair Posted at 2015-11-17 23:00
Never heard of MEGA either!  I'm toying with the idea of purchasing the OSMO as well however, with ...

MEGA is a platform for uploading files and downloading, customers can upload files to any other platforms and give me the download link. Sorry for the problem of the products, I understand your upset. I am trying to locate the problem and I will let the R&D to figure out the reason. We won't let the customer undertake the quality issue.
2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

norlandpubinc Posted at 2015-11-17 23:15
It's very disheartening.  Unless I hold mine completely still it's out of focus.  Mechanically it  ...

The osmo camera is the same as Inspire 1 X3 camera, focus at ∞, so the shoot distance longer than 1 m should be better, or the close shot may be a little out of focus.
2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

norlandpubinc Posted at 2015-11-17 22:58
I uploaded 2 videos to box.com.  if you give me an email address i can invite you to download them a ...

Can you give me the link please, we're not allowed to post email address here. Thanks.
2015-11-17
Use props
norlandpubinc
lvl.1

United States

Box.com doesn't work that way I will google search mega and try that
2015-11-18
Use props
peroivind
lvl.1

Norway

Hello,

I also have a similar problem, yet it only goes for 120fps-mode.
I see other people post slow motion videos on Vimeo etc. (made with the Osmo) with crisp quality even at evening / night time. Mine is totally messed up at rather light conditions. I can make videos during sunny days, yet these become quite blurry.
Would it be possible for me to upload a couple of sample videos of 120 fps so you guys from DJI can judge the quality of my Osmo compared to whats normal to expect from it?
I am aware of that it zoomes in and adjust the light in order to enable 120fps, yet compared to other videos on the net, I am convinced that my 120fps has some error.
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

peroivind Posted at 2015-11-19 00:26
Hello,

I also have a similar problem, yet it only goes for 120fps-mode.

You can upload it into some third party platform like MEGA, and send me the download link.
2015-11-19
Use props
peroivind
lvl.1

Norway

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-19 12:15
You can upload it into some third party platform like MEGA, and send me the download link.

Uhhh... Extremely dumb question, - how do I send you a link privately? I googled "how to send PM on DJI", and it says I have to friend you first in order to send a PM.. - yet I can not find any "Friend"  option on your profile pic as describes...
2015-11-19
Use props
nwhit3
New

United States

I'm having the same problem. New Osmo and in low light the video is terribly grainy with very poor color. I have been looking at various youtube examples of similar scenes shot on Osmo that are 10x as good as what I'm getting. I have tried Manual exposure, automatic, 4k and 1080. Nothing helps.

Do I have a defective unit? It simply will not shoot anything usable in  lower light levels.

2015-11-19
Use props
Salboogie
lvl.2

United States

nah ...osmo x3 does not do good with high  iso....its a great outdoor camera in daylight at low iso..otherwise your gonna get noise no matter what its a 400 dollar camera ...at night your gonna need some light for whatvever your capturing ...increasing iso means increasing noise ...mine looks horrible at high iso so my solution is keep it low as possible
2015-11-19
Use props
norlandpubinc
lvl.1

United States

Do any of you have the problem of your video skipping during playback?  I put my card in my mac and cant even watch the footage unless I render it through Premiere.
2015-11-20
Use props
nwhit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

Salboogie Posted at 2015-11-19 23:07
nah ...osmo x3 does not do good with high  iso....its a great outdoor camera in daylight at low iso. ...

That's what I had thought, but I've seen numerous videos on this forum, on youtube and other forums where video shot under about the same conditions is NOT grainy. That makes me wonder if there is an issue with some cameras. It can't be that some people get perfectly reasonable low light video and some of us don't unless there is a problem with some cameras.
2015-11-20
Use props
Salboogie
lvl.2

United States

nwhit Posted at 2015-11-20 13:22
That's what I had thought, but I've seen numerous videos on this forum, on youtube and other forum ...

dont believe everything you see lol who knows maybe its an x5 camera...or dslr on a gimbal lol ...agian try low iso and see how it turns out also use d log and add color back in...
2015-11-20
Use props
nwhit
lvl.4
United States

Salboogie Posted at 2015-11-20 16:36
dont believe everything you see lol who knows maybe its an x5 camera...or dslr on a gimbal lol ... ...

Yeah, I'm well aware of setting ISO , using log, etc. Been a pro photog for many, many years. Regarding the online low light videos, there simply are too many examples with rough, uncut footage that show usable quality. That suggests some initial units may have issues.

I elected to return my unit to the dealer for an exchange. Hoping the next unit might provide better results. Given the shutter speed and ISO  available, no reason the quality shouldn't be better than what I was getting. I fully understand that it won't match my nikons or pro panny, but from what I have seen, it apparently can do reasonable quality, especially for web based content.
2015-11-20
Use props
peroivind
lvl.1

Norway

nwhit Posted at 2015-11-21 04:48
Yeah, I'm well aware of setting ISO , using log, etc. Been a pro photog for many, many years. Regar ...

Would you please post a comment regarding the result of your new device's 120fps quality when you receive this? I am also considering bringing my unit back to the store as a result of the terrible slow motion quality. Even with full light inside my apartment the quality of my Osmo reminds me of that tiny camera mounted onto the Hubsan mini Drone. Which is...ehrm...not good.
2015-11-20
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

peroivind Posted at 2015-11-19 21:12
Uhhh... Extremely dumb question, - how do I send you a link privately? I googled "how to send PM o ...

Sorry we are not allowed to using PM, can you post the link here?
2015-11-22
Use props
peroivind
lvl.1

Norway

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-23 07:37

KK, here are two videos of my cat.
Both videos are shot from the exact same angle and distance, and the light-level is also exactly the same.

Here is ordinary 4k-filming:
https://mega.nz/#!TZc0jaaS!WX37j ... IQ9ZdMKZjYcaeka-rsE

And here is the slow-motion, 120fps-filming:
https://mega.nz/#!XU03BQSD!QcOIo ... dz8FY505ApWfc1KVZLA

And here is a random video found on Vimeo, where the maker of it claims it is shot by DJI Osmo in 120fps-mode. Look how crisp the pictures look here compared to my video. To see the big difference in the noise during low-light shot, forward this video to 01:55.
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

peroivind Posted at 2015-11-24 01:20
KK, here are two videos of my cat.
Both videos are shot from the exact same angle and distance, a ...

About the quality, it's normal, your video was shoot in night, which will result higher ISO and noise, you can do more a few test during the day, then your video quality will should be as the compare video you post here. Also, the setting of ISO can affect the light and noise level. Please adjust the ISO according to the environment. Thanks.
What's more,  it's normal that the film-area zoom in because the FOV changed to 47 degrees. It's decided by the working mode of camera sensor. The reason for the video turning dark is that the shutter speed was increased in  order to achieve 120fps .
2015-11-23
Use props
peroivind
lvl.1

Norway

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-24 05:18
About the quality, it's normal, your video was shoot in night, which will result higher ISO and noi ...

Yes but what I am asking then is, how can the video I post from Vimeo be so crisp when they film at night (from 1:55 and out)?
Is this too good quality to expect from the Osmo in 120fps, - meaning that the night-shot in this very film were in fact not shot in the 120fps mode?
2015-11-24
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

peroivind Posted at 2015-11-24 23:38
Yes but what I am asking then is, how can the video I post from Vimeo be so crisp when they film a ...

The environment of the video from Vimeo is totally different from yours. You can see there is sunset glow and natural light from 1:55. And the camera setting can also have impact on the lightness and noise. There is no comparability between these two videos under the condition of different environment, camera setting.
2015-11-24
Use props
nwhit
lvl.4
United States

nwhit Posted at 2015-11-20 19:48
Yeah, I'm well aware of setting ISO , using log, etc. Been a pro photog for many, many years. Regar ...

As an update, got the replacement Osmo. Discovered that the returned unit's fan was not running which indicates issues. The low light performance is better. The normal light performance is very good. Just shot a yacht interior and exterior with excellent results.

Bottom line is that some Osmo units such as mine were/are defective. The new one is good. Not without some 1st edition problems, but it did a great job on the shoot.
2015-12-20
Use props
djiuser_NNXOVAtQOLFp
New

Brunei

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-22 22:37

Im too suffering the same issues, been a photographer for long times, so i know something wrong with my Osmo, been watching the Youtube to see the footage of Osmo quality video, and my video quality doesnt look same, i already change the settings from 1080p, to 2k, then to 4K, yet the quality video still look same, too much grainy and noise, doesnt match the $350 price of camera, even my Xiaomi Yi Camera Dashcam looks crisps and less noise than my Osmo Action, can you look into my video link?
2019-11-22
Use props
djiuser_NNXOVAtQOLFp
New

Brunei

nwhit Posted at 2015-12-20 20:19
As an update, got the replacement Osmo. Discovered that the returned unit's fan was not running which indicates issues. The low light performance is better. The normal light performance is very good. Just shot a yacht interior and exterior with excellent results.

Bottom line is that some Osmo units such as mine were/are defective. The new one is good. Not without some 1st edition problems, but it did a great job on the shoot.

What do you tell them to get the replacement unit?
2019-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules