Gimbal Yaw Synchronous Follow ?
8040 13 2015-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

I just updated to the latest iOS Go app 2.4.1 today and noticed something I haven't seen before. Not to say it wasn't there before, however.
Gimbal settings>Advanced settings>Gimbal Yaw Synchronous Follow (on or off button.)
I haven't found any mention of it.
What the heck is it?
2015-11-16
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Its been on the adroid GO app for a while now..
Some people are bothered by it and some aren't.

Turn on the P3 (without props) and turn on controller. Move yaw sticks left and right. Notice the camera looking left and right?  

It allows the yaw to simply smooth out and 'catch up" to the craft's position. It minimises the sharp robotic yaw movements in video. However, some don't like the feature because the 'lag' in yaw confuses the pilot when s/he is following a subject and hard to predict for framing. Turning it off will lock it to the P3.

2015-11-16
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

it makes your yaw a little bit smother by moving the camera in the opposite direction. I prefer to have it ON
2015-11-16
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Thanks guys--got it.
2015-11-17
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was wondering why my P3's yaw suddenly seemed all loose and prone to drift around, after the last firmware update.  This explains it. "Gimbal yaw synchronous follow" is now set to OFF position for me!
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iflewbyyou Posted at 2015-12-10 11:45
I was wondering why my P3's yaw suddenly seemed all loose and prone to drift around, after the last  ...

If your recording video and  you make yaw movements with it off, the video will not look very fluid.
2015-12-9
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-9 21:48
If your recording video and  you make yaw movements with it off, the video will not look very flui ...

Actually, you can adjust the sensitivity of the sticks, something I did a long time ago.  I have my yaw set to only .20, which makes for very fluid movements, without all the weird drift. And you can still yaw fast if needed, as the movement speed ramps up to normal as the stick moves outward from the center area.
2015-12-9
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Iflewbyyou Posted at 2015-12-9 22:03
Actually, you can adjust the sensitivity of the sticks, something I did a long time ago.  I have my ...

I am still kicking around the variables on this, trying it all different ways. If I ever settle on what works best for smooth video turns, I will post my settings.  If anyone has found some really great settings, I'd love to hear more suggestions.
2015-12-11
Use props
DNR 3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

I am thoroughly confused by this setting. I understand that when it is on, it allows the yaw control stick to turn the gimbal (and camera) very slightly in the same direction the aircraft yaws. But what I am confused about is the effect this has. For what I can tell, when it is on, it seems to have a dampening effect on the camera when you pan it, so it comes to more of a dampened stop. But the effect is rather subtle. Am I correct that this is its primary purpose? To make for smoother pans?

I have read in many places and opinion is all over the  map about what this does.

Some say having it off makes smoother pans. Some say having it on makes smoother pans. Some say it gives you more control over the aircraft so you can keep it centered. Some say it makes no discernable difference. Some say it stops the camera from reversing direction at the end of a pan.

In testing it out myself, the only slight effect I notice is a slightly dampened rolling stop when the pan ends.

Any info appreciated on this.
2016-6-11
Use props
DNR 3
lvl.2
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-11-16 14:52
Its been on the adroid GO app for a while now..
Some people are bothered by it and some aren't.

Hi there,
I am not following the logic on this. What is the "synchronous" part of this setting? I thought synchronous meant "in time with" or "in coordination" with something. So I don't understand how if it is synchronous, it is catching up or lagging. Shouldn't it be in time with it?

THank you.
2016-6-11
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4

DNR 3 Posted at 2016-6-12 08:58
Hi there,
I am not following the logic on this. What is the "synchronous" part of this setting? I  ...

When on, it seems to give the gimbal a head start. You can watch it even when the P3 is on the ground without the props turning. I imagine without it the gimbal would try to correct initially when you yaw and then have to catch up. This makes it smoother - else why would they bother?

Think of the complexity involved in determining the difference between a jiggle and an intended pan or tilt, but it works!
2016-6-11
Use props
DNR 3
lvl.2
United States

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I agree with you. It does give a smoother, more controlled panning motion, though it seems to be quite subtle. On the IOS the function is called Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow, so I am assuming that by initiating the gimbal's panning motion and the yaw movement at the same time, it creates mutual momentum, so it is more of a rolling stop versus a passive follow motion when not enabled.
2016-6-11
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

What the user manual doesn't tell you:

FYI, DJI GO v2.8.1 for Android Phantom 3 4k uses different wording:

Gimbal Advanced Settings

Gimbal Advanced Settings
2016-6-11
Use props
Curt Long
lvl.1
Flight distance : 613707 ft
United States

Gimbal Yaw Synchronous Follow feature on my P4P-Plus cannot be turned off. I can turn it off but it immediately resets to "ON".  The problem I have is that when I want to Yaw very slowly, the Camera kicks a few degrees left or right, but faster than I'm yawing the Drone. And when I want to stop the Pan or Yaw at a specific target, the camera kicks back to neutral after I've stopped the Pan, making it look like I made an aiming correction when I really did NOT.
So far, I have not seen anyone else reporting this problem with the DJI GO 4 App for the P4P-Plus.
2018-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules