Lens Hood + ND filter
7614 24 2015-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Ran into my first problem this weekend - horizontal lines in some of the video segments. I saw them on my screen and figured I had some communication problems. However, they also showed up in the recorded video. Some quick searching found it was due to "glare" caused by prop shadows. At least it isn't a mechanical problem.

Looking for solutions to avoid this in the future. Sometimes we don't get to choose the time of day or angle to sun.

I have read a lens hood is a good solution. Others have claimed that an ND filter will do the trick. I am looking for some ND filters and can't decide which to get. Yet it seems that a lens hood is the proper solution for this issue.

Questions:

- What is a good lens hood that will work with the P3A? I have seen reviews on Amazon claiming they don't fit well or are too large and end up in the shot.
- Is there a lens hood that can be used with ND filters? Which hood with which filters? (I don't like the idea of the plastic film filters - I am looking for glass filters)
- Will the combination of hood + filter be to much weight for the gimbal?
2015-11-17
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you're shooting video, you really should be using ND filters (even if you have a lens hood). The DJI, Polar Pro, or TACO-RC screw on filters are all good choices. Check out the Mudder screw on filter if you'd like to try something less expensive. You can find those and other commonly used lens filters here.
2015-11-17
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I was curious about a lens hood as well...any decent ones available??
2015-11-17
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-11-18 00:49
I was curious about a lens hood as well...any decent ones available??

I made a great lens hood out of a beer can, I'll have to make a YouTube video of how I made it.
2015-11-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If you made it out of a beer can, how did you keep it from putting extra strain on the gimbal?
2015-11-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I once made a nice plastic lens hood for my GoPro H4. But with the very wide angle of the P3P lens, I figured it would not be much use, it could cause extra wind resistance or be seen in the footage.
2015-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That's why the 'Petal' shaped lens hoods are manufactured.
Those small areas that would be visible in the corners are removed from the hood.

Better quality lenses that zoom, don't twist the barrel, they just extend straight out.
The hoods for my Nikkor lenses are indexed, and click into place, when attached correctly.

If you buy a hood for the Phantom 3 camera, it also should be 'petal' shaped.

RedHotPoker
2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
You can find compatible ND filter in DJI store :http://store.dji.com/phantom-accessories/for-phantom-3   
2015-11-18
Use props
jonesuki
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1395669 ft
Hong Kong

I am using TACO RC MC ND filter set (ND4, ND8, ND16 & ND32) and satisfied with the result.
For hood, I just got a 3D-printed one like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3D-printing-DJI-PHANTOM-3-Lens-Hood-Lens-Cap/1390492_32361299302.html
And will A-B test it later.
I tried to put on the lens hood once but it scratched the floor when the gimbal was initailizing. I need to handheld the drone during initialization which may introduce problem of camera horiztal setting.
2015-11-18
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-11-17 11:40
If you're shooting video, you really should be using ND filters (even if you have a lens hood). The  ...

Yeah, I know I need ND filters. Just having trouble figuring out which ones to get. I definitely want to be able to go to 16 or 32, which doesn't leave much choice. The Polar Pro, for example, only has those in the larger, more expensive pack.

Adding to my confusion is the lens hood issue. Going with a screw on filter, I am not sure if
1) the lens hood will work with the filter
2) the weight of hood + filter is too much for the gimbal,

So that's what I am trying to figure out. Which filters will work best with which lens hood and not over-stress the gimbal when used together.

It may be an obvious question to those who have one or both of these. From the photos I had seen of filters and lens hoods, it is not clear how they attach and if they will work together. Also, some filters suggest the use of counter-weights, which makes me concerned about weight on the gimbal.

2015-11-18
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

jrm11 Posted at 2015-11-18 12:12
Yeah, I know I need ND filters. Just having trouble figuring out which ones to get. I definitely w ...

I have Polar Pro as well. I like them very much.

Here is how I check which lens to use:
1) Turn on your Phantom, remote and Go App.
2)  Point the Phantom to the places you want to take shots/movies.
3) Adjust the camera to your settings/
4) Read the EV.

If EV is less than 1, no filter is needed.
IF EV is 1 or more. the EV is the number of stops you need for your len.

So, you read EV = 2, you need 2 stops or ND 8.

Hope it makes sense.

Cheers.

------------------------------------------------   Signature    --------------------------------------------
If you are going to buy DJI products and want to help me, please use this link: BuyDJI.ca
------------------------------------------------   Signature    --------------------------------------------
2015-11-18
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can heartily recommend PhantomFilters.com. They are good guys the price is right, and they have some very educational information of how to take video using a drone, and why ND filters are necessary. They even explain the confusing settings needed with a camera that has no F-Stop settings. That's my advice.
2015-11-18
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-11-18 13:21
I can heartily recommend PhantomFilters.com. They are good guys the price is right, and they have so ...

If you like gels, then you should check out the Ditzler Photo filters. They are designed in such a way that makes it easy to install them without touching the part of the filter that covers the lens.
2015-11-18
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

One thing to note which may make life easier, is that to shade the lens from the sun, you could use rigid flat material (cardboard?) fixed to the gimbal mount or landing gear rather than the camera itself.  This is often how lights are flagged in a studio to prevent lens flare.
2015-11-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you are concerned about the weight, then the DJI filters do not add any weight, b4ecause they replace the front protective glass on the camera. So you are simply exchanging a clear filter for a density filter. Personally, I cannot see any reason to fit a lens hood, the stock lens is so wide that it would only be effective in a very narrow band of position. And there is also the issue of the hood fouling when landing if the camera is not in the correct position.
2015-11-18
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-11-18 17:31
If you like gels, then you should check out the Ditzler Photo filters. They are designed in such a ...

I didn't want to go gel filter as I prefer glass. However, for the price and flexibility, I decided to try the Ditzler filters. I like that they are very lightweight, stackable and offer great flexibility.  I'm just hoping the ND filters solve my "glare" banding problem. It doesn't look like these filters will work with a lens hood.

Great idea about a homemade lens hood affixed to the landing gear. That certainly will not affect the gimbal. If the ND filters don't help with the glare/prop shadow problem, I will create one of these shades.

Thanks for the help.
2015-11-18
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-18 05:04
Hi ,
You can find compatible ND filter in DJI store :http://store.dji.com/phantom-accessories/for-p ...

LOVE your emoticon!
2015-11-18
Use props
BenjiAlpineP3P
lvl.2

Germany

jonesuki Posted at 2015-11-18 11:45
I am using TACO RC MC ND filter set (ND4, ND8, ND16 & ND32) and satisfied with the result.
For hood, ...

when using a Lens hood ( the one you have ) and a ND filter at the same time, have you noticed any problems with the  gimbal? I have both at home now and am waiting for good weather to fly.. Maybe someone ells can comment on a screw-on nd + lens hood and the weight ?
2016-1-14
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-11-18 12:21
I can heartily recommend PhantomFilters.com. They are good guys the price is right, and they have so ...

Got mine a wwk ago, luv 'em. Affordable, stackable, easy to use.
2016-1-14
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Another alternative: a simple low weight lens hood can be quickly made from photographer gaffer's tape. Works for any filter & lasts many flights...
2016-1-14
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Do the ND filters not jsuit replace the protective filter already on the camera, thus no weight difference for gimbals?

Most of the hood I've seen just cover the top ~90 degrees of the camera, so I'm guessing they are just there to stop lens flare when your shooting near midday. The ones I've seen just sit around the camera with friction and look pretty light. Once again, ND filters shouldn't affect the hood, as they don't change the shape/weight/size of the camera in any way.
2016-1-14
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

The very best ND filters to get for a P3P are the factory DJI ND filter , They screw right on in place of the stock UV filter , And look Completely factory.
Looks just like your Phantom came. all your lens caps and hoods will fit right on , Adds no weight as it looks like you have changed nothing.
There expensive at twenty nine dollars a peace , some you can get on Amazon for $24 , But you get what you pay for.
I bought them all.
2016-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ChrisC Posted at 2016-1-15 16:28
The very best ND filters to get for a P3P are the factory DJI ND filter , They screw right on in pla ...

Me too, for all the reasons you mentioned.
2016-1-14
Use props
BenjiAlpineP3P
lvl.2

Germany

2016-1-16
Use props
WeLoveAerial
lvl.2

Germany

We wrote about the Lens hood that works here -> http://www.weloveaerial.com/feed ... with-your-nd-filter
2016-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules