12Next >
7740 52 2015-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dking3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8035 ft
United States

My Phantom 3 Advanced is about 2 weeks old, and it has never been able to set the current Home Point in DJI Go.  When I go to set it, the response is that it's set, but them when I check, it says, "The mobil devices GPS signal is weak and it's location cannot be acquired."  I've always got at least 10 satelites, and the lights blink a slow green, but Return to Home doesn't work, it just goes straight down where it is, when I push that button on the controller.  Anyone have suggestions?  Thanks,  --  Dave

2015-11-17
Use props
IMI193 (RI,USA)
lvl.3

United States

How close to the home point are you when you test it, less than 65 feet ?
2015-11-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

The 10 sats you show are locked on the quad's GPS which is not the same as the GPS in your phone/tablet.  How much battery do you have when you press RTH?  And why are you pressing RTH as opposed to flying it back?
2015-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi,
If you are far enough away from the Phantom to utilize RTH effectively,
Please check in the App and see that you indeed do have it set to RTH and not to Land.
There are three settings choices,, Hover, Land or RTH.
Please do RTFM, for proper usage procedures, reading the flight manuals are/is your guide.

RedHoPoker
2015-11-17
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

IMI193 (RI,USA) Posted at 2015-11-17 12:49

I've tested the RTH button many times, maybe 6, but always less than 65 ft.  I check the Home Point before even taking off, and after having just set it, the response is always that the GPS signal is too weak.   I just tried it again, I get the verbal confirmation that the Home Point has been set, and there's 4 of the 5 bars of GPS strength.  Then when I check, it again says the Home Point can not be set due to weak GPS signal.
2015-11-17
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-11-17 12:53
The 10 sats you show are locked on the quad's GPS which is not the same as the GPS in your phone/tab ...

I'm looking at the GPS icon on the DJI Go display, which shows good strength, 4 of 5 bars, last time.  I pressed the RTH button to test it.  I have been just flying it back, no problem with that.
2015-11-17
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

IMI193 (RI,USA) Posted at 2015-11-17 12:49

Is there a minumum height for RTH to work?  But, when I tap the person with Home Point icon, I always get the "... location can not be acquired."  Thanks,
2015-11-17
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-17 13:01
Hi,
If you are far enough away from the Phantom to utilize RTH effectively,
Please check in the App ...

I checked in the App and I indeed do have it set to RTH and not to Land.  Thanks,
2015-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ok, well check that off the list.
Were you the correct distance horizontally, not vertical height distance, as in far enough away from the drone, for the RTH feature to run properly?

RedHotPoker
2015-11-17
Use props
IMI193 (RI,USA)
lvl.3

United States

"Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 meters (65 feet) radius of the Home Point. Aircraft will stop ascending and immediately return to the Home Point if you move the throttle stick if the aircraft reaches 20 meters (65 feet) altitudes or beyond during Failsafe."

http://forum.dji.com/thread-35042-1-1.html
2015-11-17
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

IMI193 (RI,USA) Posted at 2015-11-17 15:58
"Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 m ...

I'll test it from further away from me, >20 m,, but I still don't know why it reports, "... location cannot be aquired."  It may take me a couple days to get to a place I can test that, stay tuned, and thanks, all!
2015-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yup, exactly,  

"If within less than 20 meters of the home point, RTH just lands where it's been initiated".  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-11-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The key information is this: " The mobile devices GPS signal is weak and it's location cannot be acquired."   It is not talking about the aircraft, but the RC unit, hence the reference to 'mobile device'. The aircraft automatically sets it's home point when it is warming up and when there are sufficient satellites in view. The display of the number of satellites is what the aircraft is seeing. I think what you are doing is setting the position of the controller and the app is saying there is no data to set it. What device do you have, and does it have GPS reception enabled?
2015-11-17
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you don't need Phantom to follow you then don't press icon on Go App with the person on it, and you wont have problem. Press other icon with drone pointer to set home point to where drone is. Again like everybody here says please make sure drone is more than 65 feet away before pressing RTH or it will land where it is at the time you press button... I suggest you practice in a very very large field with no people, trees or animals around you.

Goggles
2015-11-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and it's location cannot be acquired"
What that's telling you is that the app is getting no GPS information from your phone or tablet.
Either you have an Apple device with no GPS, you have an Android device with GPS switched off or you are under a roof etc and your device can't see the sky to get GPS.
You are trying to reset the Phantom's home point to the current location of the controller and unless the app gets a good GPS location for the controller that's not possible.
You should be able to reset the Phantom's home point to the current location of the Phantom by clicking the appropriate icon in the app.
2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,  please confirm you are at the "Flysafe" status  .
2015-11-17
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-17 16:30
Yup, exactly,  

"If within less than 20 meters of the home point, RTH just lands where it's been in ...

I just went to our local park, where I could fly at much greater height and distance from me.  Still can't set Home Point, had 18 satelites, and full GPS strength.  I tried Return to Home anyway, and it just landed where it was, as usual.  I tried Point of Interest, and it worked flawlessly.  I think I have a GPS problem, hardware or software.  I'll call support when I can.  
2015-11-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dking3 Posted at 2015-11-19 08:42
I just went to our local park, where I could fly at much greater height and distance from me.  Stil ...

If POI works then your GPS system is working fine. I do not understand why you keep trying to set a home point, the aircraft does this automatically each time you fire it up, and it is telling you that. Setting the home point via the app is setting the home point to the location of the RC unit, which is not a good idea if it is not in a good place to land. The number of satelites displayed is the number visible to the aircraft, not the RC unit.

If setting it via the app fails, then it most likely means your phone or tablet does not have a functioning GPS receiver, or it is switched off. What device are you using?
2015-11-18
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

dking3 Posted at 2015-11-19 05:42
I just went to our local park, where I could fly at much greater height and distance from me.  Stil ...

Try not setting Home Point via the app, let the aircraft do it automatically like Geebax said and see if that works. (remember to make sure RTH altitude is set high enough to clear any obstacles between Phantom and landing area)

Goggles
2015-11-18
Use props
ranges
lvl.3

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-17 19:32
What that's telling yo ...

DITTO
Check the MOBILE DEVICES GPS
2015-11-19
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dking3 Posted at 2015-11-19 08:42

Why are you trying to set the home point?
Do you know that homepoint is set automatically before takeoff?
Unless you have a particular need to change the homepoint that's set - just forget about trying to reset it.
You  have no GPS problem and probably no hardware or software problem either.
If your comprehension of the manual is as sketchy as your responses here, there's a good chance that the problem is somewhere else.
2015-11-19
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-19 20:52
Do you know that homepoint is set automatically before t ...

I finally realized, I was trying to use RTH from too near the Home Point.   When I got out far enough, it works.   Yes, I realize the Home Point is automatically set at startup.  

But, I still get the error message that the GPS signal is too weak, and the Home Point is not set.  It must be a software bug, which gets me that error message.  It is apparently, just fine.  

I tested the RTH several times, and it sat down within 4' of the actual starting point, very good.

Thanks all.
2015-11-25
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

dking3 Posted at 2015-11-26 04:43
I finally realized, I was trying to use RTH from too near the Home Point.   When I got out far eno ...

The home point you're trying set is the mobile device location as the home point  so it has a very high requirement of the GPS signal of your mobile phone, so it has no relationship with the GPS signal of the aircraft. The icon beside it is another way to set home point which is to set the aircraft position as the home point, so the aircraft status must be 'safe to fly'. About RTH, the aircraft will be descend if the distance from the aircraft to the home point is less than 20 meters.
2015-11-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dking3 Posted at 2015-11-26 04:43
I finally realized, I was trying to use RTH from too near the Home Point.   When I got out far eno ...
This has nothing to do with a software bug .. it is all about operator confusion.

"But, I still get the error message that the GPS signal is too weak, and the Home Point is not set.  It must be a software bug, which gets me that error message.  It is apparently, just fine.  "

DK3 ...  people have answered your query several times above already so read this carefully.
Your Phantom automatically sets the home point before you take off - you don't have to set home point again.
I answered your question about weak GPS signal in post #15 above.
Here it is again.  Read it this time because it answers your issue exactly.

What that's telling you is that the app is getting no GPS information from your phone or tablet.
Either you have:
1.   an Apple device with no GPS, or
2.  you have an Android device with GPS switched off, or
3.  you are under a roof etc and your device can't see the sky to get GPS.
You are trying to reset the Phantom's home point to the current location of the controller and unless the app gets a good GPS location for the controller that's not possible.

But .. why are you trying to reset the home point when it is already set?
You should be able to reset the Phantom's home point to the current location of the Phantom by clicking the appropriate icon in the app.
2015-11-26
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-26 07:16
This has nothing to do with a software bug .. it is all about operator confusion.

"But, I still get ...

OK, I was confused, didn't realize there are 2 GPS locations, the aircraft and the controller.  I'm using an iPad Air (3?), and it seems to know where it is, by GPS.  I'm good, thanks for your help.  
2015-11-27
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-26 01:03
The home point you're trying set is the mobile device location as the home point  so it has a very  ...

OK, thanks, Amy.
2015-11-27
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-19 20:52
Do you know that homepoint is set automatically before t ...

OK, thanks.
2015-11-27
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 2015-11-18 19:08
Try not setting Home Point via the app, let the aircraft do it automatically like Geebax said and s ...

OK, I'm good.  Thanks.  
2015-11-27
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-18 16:20
If POI works then your GPS system is working fine. I do not understand why you keep trying to set a ...

I'm using an iPad Air, and it seems to know it's location (e.g. with mapping).  I'm fine, thanks.  
2015-11-27
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-17 23:05
Hi ,  please confirm you are at the "Flysafe" status  .

I get "Flysafe."  Thanks, I'm all set.  
2015-11-27
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

dking3 Posted at 2015-11-28 01:41
I get "Flysafe."  Thanks, I'm all set.

Great ! Enjoy your flight !
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-26 21:16

"But, I still get ...

Yes, it's totally the warning confusion, I think it should be revised to"The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and it's location cannot be acquired". You've made a impressive reply. Thanks.
2015-11-30
Use props
kremer.rick
lvl.1

United States

dking3 Posted at 2015-11-18 03:13
I've tested the RTH button many times, maybe 6, but always less than 65 ft.  I check the Home Poin ...

I having the same problems. Basically what I would like to achieve is if  i take off from one place and then walk to another, I'd like to reset the home point to the new location just in case I have to return to home in an emergency.. Please let me know what you find out. Rick
2015-11-30
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

kremer.rick Posted at 2015-11-30 13:02
I having the same problems. Basically what I would like to achieve is if  i take off from one plac ...

In the app's home screen on the left side the 3rd icon is a H in a teardrop. use that icon to update the new home point to the either the current aircraft or your position. (I think to use your position you, your device needs GPS.
2015-11-30
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

What you were first describing sounds like you're using a tablet that doesn't have GPS built in. Like an iPad min2 wifi.
2015-11-30
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Beau Posted at 2015-11-30 16:14
What you were first describing sounds like you're using a tablet that doesn't have GPS built in. Lik ...

I use an iPad Air 2, model MGKL2LL/A, and I think it has a good GPS, but no cellular service.  Maybe that reduces the speed and/or accuracy of the GPS.  
2015-11-30
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

kremer.rick Posted at 2015-11-30 14:02
I having the same problems. Basically what I would like to achieve is if  i take off from one plac ...

The message about GPS strength appears to be my iPad Air 2, not the P3A.  It seems to consistently set the Home Point OK.  When I get the required distance away, it returns to home, within 5' or better.  You should be able to reset home at any time.  
2015-11-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dking3 Posted at 2015-12-1 10:37
I use an iPad Air 2, model MGKL2LL/A, and I think it has a good GPS, but no cellular service.  May ...

"I use an iPad Air 2, model MGKL2LL/A, and I think it has a good GPS, but no cellular service.  Maybe that reduces the speed and/or accuracy of the GPS.  "
The MGKL2LL/A is wifi only ... it doesn't have any GPS
This is why you get that message when you try to reset home point to your location.
If you use an Apple device, only the cellular models have GPS.
2015-12-1
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-1 03:51
"I use an iPad Air 2, model MGKL2LL/A, and I think it has a good GPS, but no cellular service.  Ma ...

OK, thanks, I sort of thought the lack of cellular might be an issue, but I don't really see any funtional issue.  Return to Home is good for about +/-3 ft, which is really fine, for me.  The iPad Map App can display where I am, reasonably accurately, so I don't know how it can do that, if it has no GPS.  Thanks for all your help.
2015-12-7
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Beau Posted at 2015-11-30 17:14
What you were first describing sounds like you're using a tablet that doesn't have GPS built in. Lik ...

I have an iPad Air 2, and I thought the lack of cellular might be an issue, but I don't really see any funtional issue, besides the error message.  Return to Home is good for about +/-3 ft, which is really fine, for me.  The iPad Map App can display where I am, reasonably accurately, so I don't know how it can do that, if it has no GPS.  Thanks.
2015-12-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules