Newbie User and excited to be here... with some questions.
1228 19 2015-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

Just ordered a Phantom 3 Pro which will be delivered in a few days. I bought several accessories such as a case and extra batteries etc. I haven't been this excited purchasing a new toy in decades! I know I am going to enjoy wandering down this path and learning to fly the drone properly. Add to that the video capabilities and well, I am just EXCITED!

So to begin with I am going to use my iPhone 6+ initially. I say that because I have spent many hours today reading numerous threads on drone forums with regards to tablet usage and came away more confused than when I started.

I am an apple guy. I moved over to the dark side years ago after getting involved in the music industry and never looked back. So that debate is not an issue. I am going to be getting an iOS tablet for use with the P3. I have a Ipad retina but that is too too large and too heavy and I want my P3 tablet to be used ONLY for the P3.

So with that said, it's seems my best choice today would be the iPad Mini 2. I know the Mini 4 is available but I can't see where that would be a huge upgrade over the Mini 2 for use with the P3. I know many complain of the poor visibility of the Mini 2 in sunlight but the Mini 4 will have basically the same screen from what i have read so far. It's going to be an issue as i live in the Las Vegas area where we have no lack of sunlight.  I will have to get creative with glare screens and/or shades.

So all good right? I'll pick up a iPad Mini 2. Now the confusion (newbiness) and questions.

1. Using the Mini 2 exclusively for the P3, would the 32GB model be of any benifit over the 16GB? If so why? And of thats the case would that be a good reason to actually get the Mini 4 since I can go the 64GB or 128GB route?

2. Once I have chosen the right tablet model which options are best for P3 use. WiFi alone or WiFi with cellular. I would prefer to not have to put it on any celular plan. From my LIMITED research the only loss of functionality I would have is not seeing the maps unless I cached them prior to going wherever I was intending to fly the bird. Is that correct or am i missing something?

3. Money is not my concern here. Functionality is. For all you experienced drone pilots, if you could choose any iOS tablet to be paired with your P3 Pro what would you want?

Sorry for the long winded first post but I wanted to be somewhat clear on my direction and desires and hopefully not turn this thread into a gear war with inconsistent fan boy replies across the board. And I didn't even throw in the iPad Air to consider.

Glad to be part of the family and looking forward to your responses!

Thanks,

Craig

2015-11-18
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Welcome to the wonderful world of flying cameras, or drones as most people call them now. Such a negative connotation anymore.  Sigh. I also just got a P3P, and I use an ipad Air 2. It is a little bit much for the clamp provided, but I hear if you get the mount for the Inspire, it bolts right on and is sturdy as hell. That said, I don't know how much sturdier the one that comes with it would be with a mini.
As far as memory on your mobile device, I don't think it really matters unless you are caching video as you record it. My understanding is that this is not a good practice and can cause you to have trouble getting your video signal from the Phantom to your device. You can retrieve your (much better) video from the onboard SD card after the flight, so why push it? Others might not feel the same, and it really depends on what is helpful and comfortable for you. You're gonna be the one looking at it! Just my thought and experience on the matter. Happy flying!

Barney

2015-11-18
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-11-18 16:30
Welcome to the wonderful world of flying cameras, or drones as most people call them now. Such a neg ...

Thanks for the reply and welcoming! I agree with the memory comments. I do all my video work on my Mac Pro so I would only be using the tablet for actual flying purposes. I guess my concern was if the app itelf is a hog and benifits from any additional memory? I have also read about upgrading the mount. That is no issue.

Thanks,

Craig

2015-11-18
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-18 18:33
Thanks for the reply and welcoming! I agree with the memory comments. I do all my video work on my  ...

Hey Craig, welcome to the forums. I know how you feel right now as I was the same way prior to my Phantom arriving. Hopefully I can help you make an informed decision regarding your choice of tablets.

If you are going to have a dedicated tablet for your Phantom, I believe you will be happy with a mini 2 w/ 32GB. With that much dedicated memory you should be able to fly with a high bitrate and with your video being cached to the tablet. I will disclose that I am not an Apple guy, but if I were to buy a dedicated Apple tablet it would be the mini 2 w/ 32GB ram. I am quite sure that if this opinion is wrong my fellow Phantom pilots will correct me here. That is the route I would take. Anything more than 32GB I believe would be a waste for a dedicated device. Good luck and keep us posted.

Let me edit this by saying that if money is no problem I think I might go with the air instead. I don't believe you have access to maps if you don't cache them prior to leaving a WiFi signal prior to flying. With the air, you always have access to maps. I'ts not a big deal really, but without access to maps you have to plan accordingly and remember to cache maps of the intended flying area prior to leaving a signal (if that makes sense).
2015-11-18
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

gas.tube Posted at 2015-11-18 17:32
Hey Craig, welcome to the forums. I know how you feel right now as I was the same way prior to my P ...

Thanks for the reply gas.tube. I have been doing a bunch of reading since posting and now I am seeing that the Mini 4's screen is supposed to be much improved over the Mini 2 and Air's with regards to glare etc. I am not opposed to getting the Mini 4 either. And I dont have any reason to save the video stream directy to the monitor either. I have no issues taking it off the card and reading it into my Mac Pro where I edit videos anyways. So a 16GB tablet would no doubt work if the DJI apps themselves dont require much.

With that said, i guess I am a bit confused about why the Mac Air would have maps at all times? Obviously if I am in a WiFi area I am good regardless. Are you saying with the Mini 2 the GPS doesn't work out of the WiFi area unless you are connected with a cellular data plan but the GPS on the Mac Air does everywhere?  Am I making sense because that makes no sense to me. My "limited" understanding is that GPS just emits a position. Your app would then place that position on the map accordingly. So a Mac Air has the maps always available and the Mini 2 or Mini 4 wouldnt? Color me confused.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Craig

Edit: I am really leaning towards the Mac Mini 4 as its supposed to deal with sunlight much better. If I understand correctly if I am in a WiFi area I will get maps when using the DJI app. So is now my only outlying decision a matter of getting a cellular service data plan so I can have access to maps outside of WiFi areas or plan ahaead and cache maps for the area where I will be flying?

2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Craig
Your  Iphone 6 and Mini 2 will all be compatible with the Phantom 3 . And the cellular doesn't make any difference . I'm using the Ipad Mini 4 (64G , no cellular). It works fine !  
iOS Version v2.4.1. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Android Version v2.4.1. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini,Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.
2015-11-18
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-18 19:07
Hi , Craig
Your  Iphone 6 and Mini 2 will all compatible with the Phantom 3 . And the cellular doesn ...

OK... so i am going to pick up a Mini 4 like you. No issues. I won't need the 64GB as I won't need it for anything other than flying the P3. So I think a 16GB or 32GB will suffice no? I have no need to stream the video directly to the Mini 4.

So are you saying you get maps without caching on the Mini 4 without cellular service? Cause I have no need for cellular service on the Mini 4 if it's not required for maps.

Craig
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-19 11:24
OK... so i am going to pick up a Mini 4 like you. No issues. I won't need the 64GB as I won't need  ...

Hi,Craig
The map has already been downloaded by using the wifi before the flight .
2015-11-18
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-18 19:34
Hi,Craig
The map has already been downloaded by using the wifi before the flight .

Gotcha! So if i was planning to fly in an area that has no WiFi reception I would just plan ahead and cache those maps prior to leaving the area where there was reception.

Correct? I know, lame questions but I don't want to spend on the Mini 4 and find out I needed one with cellular access too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated.

I have this funny vision of me barreling the P3 in the ground day one making this all a moot point anyway. LOL
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-19 11:41
Gotcha! So if i was planning to fly in an area that has no WiFi reception I would just plan ahead  ...

Exactly ! Remember to watch tutorials and read user manual before flight ! Enjoy your Phantom 3 !
2015-11-18
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-18 20:03
Exactly ! Remember to watch tutorials and read user manual before flight ! Enjoy your Phantom 3 !: ...

Will do. Looking forward to all of it. Whoever said I wouldn't find enough things to do after retiring was full of #$%

...and thanks to everyone for your relpies. It's a very friendly forum here!

Craig

2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-19 12:13
Will do. Looking forward to all of it. Whoever said I wouldn't find enough things to do after retir ...

Thanks for your support ! And welcome to share your flight experience here !
2015-11-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-19 14:41
Gotcha! So if i was planning to fly in an area that has no WiFi reception I would just plan ahead  ...

You are not getting accurate advice here. The iPads all seem to have maps pre-loaded into memory, so it is not necessary to cache the maps in advance. However, it you ever want to use the 'follow me' function, then the device must have a GPS receiver, and the WiFi only IPads do not have GPS. I use an Air 2 because I want the largest screen I can get, and it works just fine. It is a cellular model, but you do not have to buy a data plan, or even bother to fit a SIM to it, it works fine without, but only the cellular model has the GPS function.
2015-11-18
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-18
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-18 20:45
You are not getting accurate advice here. The iPads all seem to have maps pre-loaded into memory,  ...

OK. Now it all makes sense. I just read up a liitle after reading your post. None of the ipads, including the new mini 4's have gps on the wifi only models. If i want to use the follow me functionality, and I do, then I need a wifi+cellular version regardless of which Ipad I choose. The only real difference between the airs and minis are the screen sizes. I am opting for the mini 4 wifi+cellular as it SUPPOSEDLY has an improved screen for daylight viewing. I should be good to go now. I centainly dont want any cellular service plans so it's good to know that is not needed.

Thanks for clarifying that misconception.

I really do appreciate all the responses here guys!

Craig

2015-11-19
Use props
adalesandro
lvl.1

United States

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-18 19:41

Welcome to the forum from another LA based 'pilot.' With regard to the WiFi/Cellular question remember that you can use the Cellular service from your iPhone and tether it to the iPad. So you don't really need an iPad with cellular service.
2015-11-19
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No screen is any good in sunlight.  Some might be a little less bad.
Find a nice bit of shade .. like a convenient tree.
16GB will be more than enough storage if you only want to use it for flying.
2015-11-19
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

adalesandro Posted at 2015-11-19 16:36
Welcome to the forum from another LA based 'pilot.' With regard to the WiFi/Cellular question reme ...

Actually I retired and moved out to the Vegas area last year after living in Orange Co for 50+ years.

Still a huge Lakers and Kings fan though. That will never change!

I figured as much with the tethering to my iPhone but I dont mind paying a little extra to have the GPS on the tablet to keep it all contained in one unit. I dont think I can go wrong with the mini 4. Heck it will be obsolete in a year anyway.

Thanks for the welcoming. This seems like very user friendly forum. I know how annouying us newbies can be...

Craig

2015-11-19
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

Ok. So the P3P gets delivered this coming Monday. I also have the iPad Mini 4 WiFi+Cellular being delivered the same day. My P3P package has some extras like prop guards and additional SD card that seemed like nice things to have but are certainly not at all necessary. The main reason I went with the package I chose is it came with 2 extra batteries.

I am excited to be jumping in the deep end head first and looking forward to the fun! Of course, as I always do, I researched other products after the purchase and see that other companies are jumping in the prosumer market like GoPro. Though their drone is in development I did notice they work in tandem with 3DR with their product called the Solo. I have to admit it looks pretty cool but overall I am happy I chose the P3P to start my foray into the drone world.

That being said, is there anything I am missing? I do have to shop for a hard case and I know thats going to be nightmare with all the offerings. I am leaning towards the Nanuk 950 ubless you guys recommend something better. Also I am seeing adds for gimble and camera guards that span across the landing feet? I know it's not a MUST have but do you guys use them? Just curious.

Woooooooo Hoooooooo. Is it Monday yet?

Craig
2015-11-20
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

Wanted to again thank everyone who helped me get started. Batteries are charged, firmware is up to date on controller and bird. I spent some time familiarizing myself with the DJI Go App and simulator function within.

Got her all packed up and was planning on heading out to a wide open area for first flight toda then the wind started blowing pretty hard. I'm thinking tempting fate on a first flight in winds isn't a bright move. Clearly by looking at her, my puppy Roxy was disappointed.

2015-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules