Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First flight, great result Phantom vision 2 RULES
1317 9 2014-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenrulestheworl
lvl.3

United States

I just landed after my first flight. I studied everything I could and was quite worried. So much so that I used my 3D printer to print out blade guards. I bought a cheap 10" android tablet, loaded the app, charged it up along with the battery and range extender and waited for good weather.

I was amazed at how well it went. Everything worked as advertised. I was able to fly it around my farm and get some great video. Watching the video after the event will help me do better next time!

After reading about every problem that I may encounter, I still wonder, can this thing really be as easy and smooth as my experience was?

I concentrated on flying it, and allowed my daughter to "man" the camera. Since I was not distracted by the screen, I was able to guide the machine without worrying if I was getting the shot.

It did not fly away, it did not lose signal, it did not have a battery problem, it did not need prop guards.

My wife watched, after we landed and looked at the video she asked " will you keep it charged up so we can use it when we see wildlife on the farm"?
Of course I will but the possibilities for more than just that are endless!

It was so easy I almost let my dog, Alice fly it, but then remembered that she is only 1 year old (7 in people years, I think) and it is an only over 18 thing so I passed.

This thing is everything I hoped it would be. I am sure that I will grow weary of it and soon start hacking it, but the out of the box success is stunning!

Thanks DJI, you rule.
2014-12-24
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.3

United States

If you're prepared then yes, it should be really easy to fly.
It's good that you have a great first flight experience.

The advice is to enable NAZA mode and learn to fly in ATTI mode, just in case you find yourself with no GPS coverage. But most of the time, yes, Phantoms are very easy to handle (compared to other UAVs)
2014-12-24
Use props
kenrulestheworl
lvl.3

United States

The NAZA setting is first on my list. I think I could not enable it until I had the compass calibrated. I need make labels for the switches and get it done. I think that having it in the mode so it is oriented to the stick/RTH position instead of pure visual will make it easier to get it home.

I am currently happy to fly it close to home and be able to clearly see it now, but as I build confidence with longer flights, I will need it.

I read several good references on how and why and understand the benefits of it.
2014-12-24
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

Good for you. It's been months, but I haven't had a malfunction or problem either.

Relative to keeping your batteries charged all the time....read up on the care and feeding of lithium-polymer batteries. Might not be a good idea to keep them in a charged state. At a minimum, keep them in the fridge. Also, as someone who has had a Lipo battery pack overcharge and explode, I recommend that you consider a Lipo charging bag.
As to labels, there are some guys on eBay that make some very nice preprinted sets for about $5
2014-12-24
Use props
DJI-Autumn
First Officer

China

So glad to see that~ Hope you enjoy your flying!
Remember to share us with your footages or photos~
2014-12-24
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

I too have had nothing but positive experiences so far,  And long may it continue.  
I haven't done any software updates and looking at some of the threads on here (I don't intend to).  It does what I want so why change it.
Long may we continue to enjoy the added value of this photography and videography.
2014-12-25
Use props
kenrulestheworl
lvl.3

United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2014-12-25 19:42
I too have had nothing but positive experiences so far,  And long may it continue.  
I haven't done  ...

I flew the Phantom 2 vision again today, it had snowed last night so there was a large change in the view. I also had my camera person, daughter Vicky, stop and start the camera several times during the flight to keep the clips smaller. That will help if I try to post, I think my next learning moment.

One small problem I had when I took off was snow on the ground and the camera getting a snowy lens. I cleaned off the area and the lens and it worked great.

When I landed after flight, I held the sticks back and centered, but the motors did not shut off, they went on very slowly spinning. After about 15 seconds, I let go of the sticks to grab the unit, and it tipped backwards and the props lightly hit the snow/dirt. No damage at all, but I wonder why they did not stop?

Since I have upgraded everything, calibrated, switched to Naza, and I am ready to learn more tomorrow.
2014-12-26
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.3

United States

kenrulestheworl Posted at 2014-12-27 07:58
I flew the Phantom 2 vision again today, it had snowed last night so there was a large change in t ...

you have to hold the sticks there for a few seconds.
After I land (or rather catch my Phantom), I stop the motors by keeping only the throttle switch to its down position for a few seconds.
2014-12-26
Use props
kenrulestheworl
lvl.3

United States

I probably will not do the catch in mid-air maneuver, it works too well to guide it down to mother earth.

15 + seconds, both sticks center full down. I will try holding the left stick in the bottom center position to see.

To make it clear, it was not in the low idle speed that it takes when the unit starts, it was only at about 20 RPM. Slowly spinning. I have never seen it run that slow before.

When I left go of the control to pick it up, it tipped back onto the rear props and stopped. No damage, no nicks from contact with the snow, just a little lesson learned.
2014-12-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have the V2 Tx, it has an indent on the throttle that will hold it at 0% and stop the motors.  You may be feeling the indent but not getting past the initial resistance.  It is easy to check on the ground with the Tx off..  Have fun flying.  Do stay close.  It is very easy to loose orientation even at 100 or more feet.  
2014-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules