Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is there a difference in using a cellular device versus wifi only?
2220 20 2015-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nnhood
lvl.1

United States

I took my Phantom 3 out a few times now and it doesn't seem to make it anywhere near the 3 mile range.
I wondered if that is a maximum under very good conditions?  

Also would it make a difference if I used my iPhone 6 which has a cellular connection rather than my iPad Air 2 that is Wifi only?

Thanks,
Matt

Moraine State Park

Field

2015-11-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Cellular service is not necessary to successfully fly your Phantom. The WiFi only Air 2 would not be as good as the iPhone, as it does not have GPS capability, you only get that with a cellular version. However, you still do not have to have a data plan or even fit a SIM to the device.
2015-11-20
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

A couple of days ago DJI-Tim posted a thread -- No video problem [SOLUTION] -- that may offer some assistance.
2015-11-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your tablet or phone has no effect on range.
But antenna orientation, atmospherics and local interference will have an effect.
Lots of variables mean that range is quite variable.
2015-11-20
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Matt,

What type of P3 do you have?  The P3 Standard, Advanced or Professional.  This will make a big difference in range.  I keep forgetting to ask.

On the other hand, the P3 Advanced and Professional will only go the 3.1 mile distance under ideal conditions.  I still have not tried it - junk weather.  Bummer!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Hi , Matt
The cellular will not make any difference to the  communication range between an aircraft and a device .
2015-11-21
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

next time cut the video with the props in it.
2015-11-21
Use props
maaka.heemi
lvl.1

Australia

it also depends on interference in your area, don't be disheatened, I remember flying around my house and I could only fly 600 metres before signal was very weak, but then again another day I flew 2km with a very strong signal still, it was an open land area, no powerlines etcs, I'd imagine mountains, hills would affect the sensors, try different areas to check if there could be a fault or if it is just location.
2015-11-21
Use props
leon.hughes
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Where did you get that the P3 has a 3 mile range??  The max stated range under ideal conditions is 2Km
2015-11-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

leon.hughes Posted at 2015-11-24 21:05
Where did you get that the P3 has a 3 mile range??  The max stated range under ideal conditions is 2 ...

Try re-reading the specs for the P3
Max Distance        Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant
Plenty of users have reported distances well beyond these too.
2015-11-24
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wifi (and Cellular) may indirectly affect the range.
Precache your map first, and then switch to airplane mode on your device and see if you go further in the same flight path. I think the 2.4Ghz wifi on you phone/device can interfere with the 2.4 ghz antennas on the remote considering how close they sit when mounted. Even though they may not be on the same 2.4Ghz frequency, they can still 'flood /block' the spectrum and impair your range.

I don't think cellular affects the range that much as they are on a completely different Ghz range. But best bet is to fly in airplane mode if you are going for range.

Another thing you can use is a windsurfer. This essentially uses foil and not only does it redirect signal, but it also blocks the phone wifi/cellular signal from interfering by creating a 'wall'. Some have tripled there range. I use the windsurfer to increase signal penetration if I fly behind or near tall trees.
2015-11-24
Use props
leon.hughes
lvl.1

United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-24 12:04
Max Distance        Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of in ...

That must have changed recently based on what a 'few' users have seen in idealistic conditions.  They used to state up to 2Km,

From my experience the range is effected by atmospheric conditions (humidity etc) as much as line of sight.  Not sure if different parts of the world offer atmospheres that are more 'compatible', but I've not read about anyone in the UK getting 3 mile ranges without upgrading the antenna.  Not to say it isn't possible!
2015-11-24
Use props
nnhood
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-11-21 01:33
Aloha Matt,

What type of P3 do you have?  The P3 Standard, Advanced or Professional.  This wil ...

I have the Pro Aloha...  I'm wondering if a large open area over land is different than a large open area over water as well...  I did read up on antenna positioning in relation to the aircraft.

I saw some videos on YouTube where people are modifying their remote for boosted range, but I don't think I want to do that...

Thanks,
Matt
2015-11-27
Use props
nnhood
lvl.1

United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-11-24 18:46
Wifi (and Cellular) may indirectly affect the range.
Precache your map first, and then switch to ai ...

Thanks for the tip!
2015-11-27
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nnhood Posted at 2015-11-27 15:17
I have the Pro Aloha...  I'm wondering if a large open area over land is different than a large op ...

Aloha Matt,

As long as the land open area has no large equipment on it or microwave transmission towers, etc. and to be fair the water has no submarines or ships to create interference.  The other day, I flew only about a half mile over a suburban area and lost signal because the suburb was affluent and everyone had 2.4 GHz wireless phones in their houses that interfered with the 2.4 GHz signal controlling my P3P.

One time I was recording some video at the beach where the City and County had opened up a channel to the ocean from a wetland pond (it was a suburban area).  They used a big excavator and real big dozer.  I flew by to where the guys were standing next to their machines (to thank and record them) and began loosing control of my P3P because of the magnetic interference from the big metal equipment - never again!  

Another time, I was 150 feet from a microwave repeater tower for emergency services and they have a jammer for security.  I went straight up to 250 feet to record and lost signal as I was recording.  The RTH took me straight down again to the same square foot for landing!  I thought that was pretty cool.

You really have to be careful about interference in your flight area at least the first few times you fly there.  For example I still fly in the vicinity of the repeater tower but keep at least 300 feet distance from it.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2015-11-28 13:16
Aloha Matt,

As long as the land open area has no large equipment on it or microwave transmis ...

Just to clear up a couple of points. You would have to fly within a few feet of a large iron or steel object to get severe compass interference, and I also doubt the communications tower had any form of 'jammer'. Jamming devices are illegal, and anyone operating them would have to answer to the FCC. What you probably experienced was what is referred to as 'front end overload', where the comms tower is broadcasting using such high power microwave signals that they swamp the receiver in your aircraft. I get a similar effect from a tower near me, and I know they are not using a jammer.
2015-11-27
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-27 16:25
Just to clear up a couple of points. You would have to fly within a few feet of a large iron or st ...

Aloha Geebax,

Well, I like your explanation better, but the problem occurred when my P3 was 70 meters higher than the tower, and like the RC and me, 50 meters to the side.  It is next to a park complex and waiting parents have to keep moving around to get a cellphone connection (or so they told me).  As for the FCC, I have a hard time thinking that they would not allow a police and homeland security use tower to defend itself against outside sources until humans can investigate.  But, I do like the front-end overload explanation better.

As for the equipment, I was less than 7 meters away (above them) when the problem occurred - never again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-28
Use props
dji.g-forcemoto
lvl.1

United States

Receiver overload (AKA "desense") is common on mountain tops that have transmitters.  It doesn't even have to be in the same frequency range.  ANY strong transmitter can desense, as well as mix with other signals causing reduced sensitivity hundreds of feet away.   When we are doing tower work, it is common to have handheld radios that are normally good for several miles, to not work 40 feet away from each other.
Our radios were pretty useless here.

Not sure what they would be jamming near a transmitter.  I would agree, it's highly unlikely there were any jammers.
2015-11-28
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-24 12:04
Max Distance        Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of in ...

How can I determine whether my P3A is CE or FCC compliant ? Bought from a seller on (UK) Amazon but instructions manuals all Chinese with Chinese on the front of the box etc ?
2015-11-28
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flipperman Posted at 2015-11-28 12:04
How can I determine whether my P3A is CE or FCC compliant ? Bought from a seller on (UK) Amazon bu ...

Aloha Flipperman,

The CE or FCC compliance is determined by the firmware and updates.  If you fly in the UK, you are CE compliant.  The GPS gives you away.  Fly Safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-29
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dji.g-forcemoto Posted at 2015-11-28 05:19
Receiver overload (AKA "desense") is common on mountain tops that have transmitters.  It doesn't eve ...

Aloha moto,

As noted, I prefer Geebax and your explanation.  All good reasons to stay away - never again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules