Cellular Functionality
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Many Tablets are WiFi only and don't have Cellular capability.  What functionality is not available when a Tablet without Cellular capability is used with the P3P..?

T.

2015-11-21
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i believe you can cache the maps over wifi before you fly.  It will still give you the display from the camera but may not give you the actual terrain unless you cached the maps beforehand.  same thing that happens when you're int he mountains or other area where you don't have cell service.  also, if you have a cell phone that can act as a hotspot you can use the wifi on said tablets.  ymmv.
2015-11-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

As well as what HermosaDrones says, among the Apple range, a WiFi only tablet does not have a built-in GPS receiver, only the cellular ones have it. Therefor you cannot use the follow-me function.
2015-11-21
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thank you for your replies.

HermosaDrones  :  If I understand your Post correctly, the "live" maps are downloaded over the Cellular network..?  I assume that there would be a cost with the Cellular Service Provider associated with the "live" map service..?   It seems to make more sense to download and cache the maps over the Internet from your home or office.  Do you know how I can find out more about this possibility..?    Are the maps really all that useful or necessary.  I am finding it hard to think of a good reason why I would want to have the map.  

Geebax  :   That is an interesting comment about "Follow Me".  Am I correct in assuming that the GPS location of the "device"  (phone or tablet) is transmitted to the P3P via Lightbridge, is then correlated with the GPS of the aircraft and that is how the aircraft knows in which direction to travel under "Follow Me"..?

So if I understand correctly, the really important thing to consider when purchasing Tablet is whether it has GPS functionality as the maps could be downloaded and cached over the Internet from home or office....?

T.

2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

You will not have follow-me and you will also not have dynamic home point. Other than those two things all features will be available.
Yes you can download and cash your maps at home or at the office before you go fly. So you don't need Celulare for that. If you had Celular you can just go fly and you will have a Maps available, you wouldn't have to cash anything before you leave to go fly.
Dave
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

There's not really a cost involved like you asked. It is just part of your data plan so unless you're maxing out your data allowance every month there would be no additional cost.

Dave
2015-11-22
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Dave, thanks for the info.

Can you please just clarify one thing.  My understanding is that the Follow Me and Dynamic Home Point uses the correlation between the GPS of the "device" and the GPS of the aircraft and that this informaton is transmitted over Lightbridge.  Does one also need Cellular for these two functions to work...?

And thanks for clarifying the cost.

T.

2015-11-22
Use props
Bittsandbobs
lvl.2

Italy

Hello Tabula,

You can find a tablet that receives GPS without cellular capability.  
I have a Samung Tab 3 with GPS and no Cellular.  Works fine if you can "kill" unwanted apps.

Cheers,
B&B
2015-11-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-23 02:00
Dave, thanks for the info.

Can you please just clarify one thing.  My understanding is that the Fol ...

There's confusion here between GPS and cellular.

Your Phantom does not use the cell connection at all.
The only possible use is to download maps - but as you've picked up, maps can be cached at home before flying.
And for most flying, maps aren't really that useful anyway.

Apple devices don't have GPS unless they also have cellular.
Most Android devices have GPS regardless.
2015-11-22
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Labroides, thanks for clarifying the issue.

T.
2015-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules