Practice Drone ??
2358 15 2015-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bittsandbobs
lvl.2

Italy

Hello all,

Can anyone recomend a cheep toy drone that uses a simular RC unit to the P3?  The idea is to pratice flying around the house.
Could it be possible to control a toy drone with the DJI RC unit?  
There's an idea for you - a DJI Pracitice Drone that can sync with the same DJI RC controller used for the Phantom 3.

You are welcome!
Cheers,
B&B
2015-11-22
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Bittsandbobs,  I just got this mini drone a few weeks ago. The controller operates very much like the Phantom as far as what stick does what.  I also purchased 6 additional batteries and charger hub (which requires a wall usb charger in addition).    It has increased my confidence in flying my Phantom Pro.   It's pretty tough,  broke a couple of propellers (comes with spare).   Cheap Drone $39   And spare batteries 6 Batteries and charge hub $15.99 US
2015-11-22
Use props
CFM01
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I started with a Syma X 5SC
Controller is smaller and no spring return on the left stick.
It's very light so not so good outside if there is wind

However, it can take a little beating and its good to practice flying without gps.

2015-11-22
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

I have a Blade QX Nano very durable, just to fly in the house. You can fly it outside as long as there is no wind.
2015-11-22
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Bitts,

I love these things! Buzz 'em all over the house. Got one for my Daughter as well. Both of us spend a it of time chasing around Mom! Mom has become quite a good "Drone Swatter"!

Hubsan X4

Jerry
2015-11-22
Use props
Sunflux
lvl.1

Canada

One thing to remember with the toy drones is they don't have altitude hold - so you have to control your altitude constantly with the throttle stick (no spring return as indicated). On most of the toy drones this can be a bit of a pain... they have poor proportionate control and I find one notch causes it to keep losing altitude, and the next causes it to keep gaining altitude. Okay for outdoors, but tough to learn in small indoor spaces. Some toy drones in the ~$100+ range are starting to get altitude hold - look for ones adverting a barometer or "high hold" function. I think the cheapest I've seen is $70  with WiFi-based FPV (horrible range, so don't get any ideas! ;-)
2015-11-22
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

Sunflux Posted at 2015-11-22 19:21
One thing to remember with the toy drones is they don't have altitude hold - so you have to control  ...

Sun,

I hear what you're saying but for two things. First, these drones, specifically the Husban, do require calibration to fly properly and if calibrated correctly are pretty consistent. Second, I think learning to fly in a purely "manual" fashion, although more difficult, is a far better way to learn. I fly several different quad copters including the P2V+, P3Pro and a Solo. If you ever lose GPS lock or have other instrument failures you'd better know how to fly in full manual mode. I fly all of my birds in full manual mode from time to time just to make sure I'm prepared and have adequate skill to land my bird without assistance if necessary. Just my two cents.

Jerry
2015-11-22
Use props
Sunflux
lvl.1

Canada

I think manual mode is great, but barometer control doesn't require GPS - and I'm pretty sure there isn't even a mode on the Phantom that works without barometer control, since that can't even be done on a remote with a return spring on the throttle. Just pointing out that it's a skill that doesn't necessarily translate to the Phantom in specific. But, it's very acrobatic!

Sadly, my toy drones are even smaller than the X4, and the smaller you go, the more twitchy they are (and typically, the crummier the remote - I swear most of the issue is that the remote doesn't offer the level of control needed). None have headless mode either. So I guess you can say I have an appreciation for stability! :-)
2015-11-22
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

Sunflux Posted at 2015-11-22 22:08
I think manual mode is great, but barometer control doesn't require GPS - and I'm pretty sure there  ...

Sunflux,

"The Phantom 3 does not have a manual mode."

I stand somewhat corrected! The P2V+ and the Solo have "manual" flight modes, the P3 does not. That being acknowledged, I'd still prefer to know how to fly a QC without assistance. Personal preference, I suppose. Stability is most definitely a good thing!

Jerry
2015-11-23
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

try practicing with the simulator
2015-11-23
Use props
Fat City
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32730 ft
United States

Sunflux Posted at 2015-11-22 23:08
I think manual mode is great, but barometer control doesn't require GPS - and I'm pretty sure there  ...

I've searched online for a practice drone with barometer, and so far the only one I've found is the WLtoys V666N. The cheapest US vendor's price I've found is about $140 on ebay. Sellers in China are cheaper (about $100), but shipping and/or customs push the total price to at least $155. The V666N has a 2MP video camera and with display on the Tx, but I be glad to omit those features if there was less expensive model.

With the huge Phantom 3 sales, I think there's a real demand for practice drones with barometers, but so far there aren't many choices. If someone made one for $50 - $75 I think they'd sell quite a few.

2015-11-23
Use props
Sunflux
lvl.1

Canada

Fat City Posted at 2015-11-23 10:52
I've searched online for a practice drone with barometer, and so far the only one I've found is th ...

I've had pretty good luck with some of the Chinese vendors so far (no duties/taxes/shipping fees)... anyways, in addition to the one you mention, keep an eye out for the following barometer-enabled quads (I'm just quoting prices from the one store I looked at, which I will not mention since I assume it's in bad taste):

WLToys Q212G ($133), WLToys Q222G ($116), Cheerson CX-33 (this is a tricopter/6-motor, $60-103 depending on camera options), JXD 509V ($67), JXD 509G ($110).

I'm sure there's more that just aren't at this one place. Putting a barometer in toy quads is still pretty new, and not all of those are available just yet. I think the WLToys and Cheerson are shipping.
2015-11-23
Use props
Bittsandbobs
lvl.2

Italy

Thanks for all of the tips and ideas!

I think that the way to go may be one with a barometer.  although without may be more challenging and therefore better practice.

Cheers,
B&B
2015-11-24
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

Bittsandbobs Posted at 2015-11-24 04:46
Thanks for all of the tips and ideas!

I think that the way to go may be one with a barometer.  alth ...

Hubsan X4 Camera Plus H107C+

"Altitude Hold function(barometer, easy to learn. Permits super stable flight, flying indoor & outdoor."
2015-11-24
Use props
Sunflux
lvl.1

Canada

IMI193 Posted at 2015-11-24 14:32
Hubsan X4 Camera Plus H107C+

"Altitude Hold function(barometer, easy to learn. Permits super stab ...

Yeah, but can you buy it anywhere? Hubsan is notorious for announcing great-sounding products that take a year to come out, or never even see the light of day. In this case, the H107C+ was announced in January 2015, and looks like a very limited quantity finally trickled out last month... but I still don't see where I can actually buy it.
2015-11-24
Use props
Bittsandbobs
lvl.2

Italy

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-11-23 16:44
try practicing with the simulator

This feature is still missing from  the Android App.  
2015-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules