France : Revised Drone Regulations - Nov 2015
2175 23 2015-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

On several dates during November 2015 the DGAC in France revised the operating regulations applicable to Drones, including those applying to <2kg.

I would like to share thoughts on the regulations with any Forum Members who are based in France and use their Phantom for either recreational or commercial use.  The revised regulations can be viewed at these links: -

Loisir - aéromodélisme

Professionnels - Activités particulières

T.

2015-11-23
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Too bad, it's written in wrong language, can't read it. Would be grate to see a translate of the text.

/Lempa
2015-11-23
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for your comment.

These regulations are only applicable to France - that is why it is written in French.

T.
2015-11-23
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-23
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Thank you for sharing that ! Anyway , hope you guys enjoy your flight !
2015-11-23
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Thank's, that was better.
2015-11-24
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-23 20:27
Thanks for your comment.

These regulations are only applicable to France - that is why it is writte ...

Perhaps, however, it's nice to see a compare to what we have here in Sweden. That's why I did make a point
2015-11-24
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Dioden Posted at 2015-11-24 18:28
Perhaps, however, it's nice to see a compare to what we have here in Sweden. That's why I did make ...

Apologies if my reply sounded somewhat abrupt, it wasn't meant that way.  What I should have said is that these regs are country-specific and what applies in France may/may not apply elsewhere.  For example, the regs for France and the UK are significantly different in many respects.

On a sadder note the IMAA (refered to about halfway through the regs) has closed its doors after 34 years.  They will be missed by many.

T.

2015-11-24
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-24 20:18
Apologies if my reply sounded somewhat abrupt, it wasn't meant that way.  What I should have said  ...

That's cool, I understand, nema problema, I was just curious and above that, it could be good to know, if I like to travel there.
2015-11-24
Use props
wff1360
New

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-24 10:20
Hobby - Model aircraftOctober 27, 2009 (updated November 19, 2015) - TRANSPORT[/backcol ...

Typical European overregulation…
2015-11-25
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

As a P3P pilot living in France, and not a legal expert, I can say that the situation here is evolving rapidly, and there are fears that the recent update may only be a preface to a more significant revision in 2016. As in many countries there is a separation between “tolerated” private use (“model aircraft”) and commercial use of UAV here. In France any semi-professional or public use (YouTube) of aerial videos or images falls into the commercial category. Furthermore UAV pilots must be residents of France (unless special permission is granted). In addition legal pursuit typically involves both violation of flight restrictions and risk of life or safety of others (unauthorized flying over a town or city). The results are typically fines and confiscation of equipment. A pilot filming a fire near a dump was charged with endangering the life of firemen 200 meters away. Presenting a video taken in a no-fly zone (such as Paris) on the social net for only 10 minutes before withdrawing it resulted in a pilot’s fine many months later. All of this is to be taken seriously, as violations are actively pursued by the DGAC (“Direction Générale de l'Aviation Civile », equivalent to the FAA in the US), aided by the GTA (“Gendarmerie des Transports Aériens”, part of the French armed forces). I hope this helps comparing with the situation in other countries.
2015-11-25
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Johnsr, thank you for your reply.

For the most part what you have written is similar to the UK regulations except for the following....

".....Furthermore UAV pilots must be residents of France (unless special permission is granted)....."

I read the November revised French regulations very carefully and could not find any reference to this requirement in those regulations.  Did I miss something..?  If I did could you please refer me to the section that specifies this requirement.

Thanks.

T.

2015-11-26
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

wff1360@aol.com Posted at 2015-11-25 17:16
Typical European overregulation…

Agree.... you would think that they could all sing from the same hymn-sheet...?   I can fly a Cessna (or similar) with a JAR-FCL pilot license in most countries or if I don't have that I can convert my CAA issued JAA UK license in a very simple process.  If they can do that for Cessnas et al you would think that they could do if for quadcopters et al.  The bureaucratic wheels of Brussels turn exceedingly slowly... it at all.

T.
2015-11-26
Use props
DroneAlps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2043307 ft
  • >>>
France

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-26 20:23
Johnsr, thank you for your reply.

For the most part what you have written is similar to the UK regu ...

I am a British drone pilot currently living in France. I can confirm you need to be living in France to get authorisation. You also need a French pilot license etc.
2015-11-26
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DroneAlps Posted at 2015-11-26 20:25
I am a British drone pilot currently living in France. I can confirm you need to be living in Fran ...

DroneAlps, thanks for your reply.

I am not disputing that this is a requirement.  But what I want to see is the paragraph in the regulations that stipulate that you have to be resident in France to legally enable you to operate a quadcopter or drone in France.

I have read the regulations very carefully and cannot find that requirement.  If it is not written in the regulations then it is not part of the law and therefore is meaningless.

T.
2015-11-27
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
France

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-27 11:46
DroneAlps, thanks for your reply.

I am not disputing that this is a requirement.  But what I want ...

As a more precise reply to Tabvla (sorry this took some time), in order to find the exact text you would need to read the Ministry’s original regulations published in the Journal Official on April 11, 2012.  In Annex 2, concerning “Activités particulières avec des aéronefs télépilotés” (category in which covers any public or commercial photo or video activities with a UAV), you will find in Chapter 5 (General Requirements), Section 5.2 “Survol du territoire et hors territoire” (Flights over French territory or territory of other countries). Here you will discover that without special authorization you must be a French resident to perform these activities over French territory.
2015-11-27
Use props
Xwingfighter
lvl.1

France

I Live in Bordeaux France Thanks for the info !  
2015-11-27
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

johnsr Posted at 2015-11-27 11:32
As a more precise reply to Tabvla (sorry this took some time), in order to find the exact text you ...

Johnsr, thanks for the information.

I have always assumed that the "Special Authorisation" was covered by the country-specific (France, Spain, Italy...) equivalent of the UK CAA PFAW.  You would need that in any case to "fly for reward" in most countries.

The country-specific equivalent of the UK CAA PFAW, does not, as far as I can determine, require the applicant (or the holder after course completion) to reside in that country.  That would be totally impractical.  It would mean that you could only operate in the country in which you were resident.  That does not seem to be a logical requirement.

That would also be contrary to the underlying principle of the EU, namely that one is free to work anywhere in the EU irrespective of which country you are a resident of.

Clarification is required.

T.
2015-11-28
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
France

Tabvla Posted at 2015-11-28 20:13
Johnsr, thanks for the information.

I have always assumed that the "Special Authorisation" was co ...

Tabvla that’s an interesting point, but as I said, I am not a legal expert. You would need to contact a specialized lawyer. I suspect that this isn’t the only area where EU and country-specific rules are in conflict. As for “fly for reward”, I think one needs to be careful. The DGAC seems to have a rather wide definition of “reward”.
I think is it important to stress for others reading this that trouble comes mainly from flying in no-fly zones (a useful source in France is the map-link AIP DRONE), over or near populated areas, amusement parks, monuments, near rescue crews, non-respect of personal privacy, etc. A post of such images publicly (on the net) makes the violation easy to find. Furthermore, common sense when flying a UAV should alert you that “current events” can modify restricted/forbidden flight zones (it is wise to consult NOTAM and SupAIP bulletins).  A last remark, the general public is becoming paranoid about UAV and they will contact the local gendarmerie if in doubt.
Have fun and fly safe!
2015-11-29
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

johnsr Posted at 2015-11-29 10:45
Tabvla that’s an interesting point, but as I said, I am not a legal expert. You would need to con ...

John, thanks for the reply and your very appropriate comments.

I agree, the term "fly for reward" is very broad.  The interpretation that I use is that "reward" means anything that is given (money, gift... etc) as a direct result of the flying activity (video; photograph; flying lessons....etc).

And the general public are beyond paranoid.  And not without reason.  It is always the cowboys and those who either won't abide by the rules or don't even know that rules exist that make it hard for the rest of us.

But that does not mean that everyone should be "punished".  On the roads it is the drunk drivers; the uninsured; the unlicensed; the irresponsible and the plain crazies who make all our lives difficult - but that does not mean that I want to park my car and walk.

T.
2015-11-29
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Dioden Posted at 2015-11-23 12:31
Too bad, it's written in wrong language, can't read it. Would be grate to see a translate of the tex ...

The language is not wrong. This is for France and in France we speak french.
2015-11-29
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

I hope so, lol
2015-11-29
Use props
RIMC1234
lvl.3
Flight distance : 227470 ft
Spain

Hi,

I am seeking for help on place to fly and take pictures and videos in France, in the French Riviera area. Please look my following post with questions I am asking:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-183209-1-1.html

2019-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules