2856 11 2015-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlosbsantana
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320591 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Okay, so here's the thing, I live near a cruise port and sometimes me and a couple of friends go fly in an open field just by its side. Today one of my friends called me and told me he was getting a compass error in the air. We have flied previously with a cruise docked and had no trouble with any signal interference, but today there is a differente cruise here and someone said that it has a jammer to prevent drones flying near it. Previously, we had been approached to be told that we cannot fly directly above the ship and we should keep a distance, but I had not heard about such implementations.

Any ideas? Is this possible/true?
2015-11-24
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

i dont think a jammer would cause a compass error. it must be all the metal and magnets from the ships.
2015-11-24
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Not likely.  The signal to jam the P3 is the same sign as the Wifi on the ship.  They would be effing up the whole ship to prevent your flying.  I do not see this happening.
2015-11-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Signal jamming is illegal virtually everywhere, and a cruise ship would not be equipped with such a device, particularly for simply discouraging drone users. As also said by Michael, jamming has no effect on the compass system anyway. It is more likely that you were experiencing 'flooding' of the radio spectrum with WiFi systems on board the ship.
2015-11-24
Use props
buddhabelly
lvl.2

United States

Einsteins?  Nah, just just friendly folks offering a possible perspective to the discussion.  For the benefit of the less enlightened let me point out the original poster asked:  "Any ideas? Is this possible/true?"
2015-11-24
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

I have flown near a few ships and have found even in line of site to my r/c all of a sudden when getting close I got a weak transmission signal so I would assume it's alot of R/F noise given off by the ship.
2015-11-24
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,carlo
It could be the metal ship that caused the compass error . Please keep distance from that kind of thing in case of crash .
2015-11-24
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

The radar system within the radome was probably also emitting a fairly strong signal. The 2.4 gHZ system used for the wifi within the ship wouldn't be effected due to the number of repeaters inside the ship.

The RF given off by the radar was the probable cause for your compass error.
2015-11-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I imagine that enormous chunk of metal that is the ship would have an affect on the compass.
2015-11-25
Use props
plumbob11
lvl.1

United States

Pebble beach Golf course in Monterey, CA has a drone jamming system. I was trying to figure out they could legally do it, and i think they just run yagi antenna's pointing offshore on all 2.4 ghz wifi channels with their network! that way it is directional and doesn't disturb there neighbors but keeps people from flying in from over the ocean ( like the guy who buzzed the greens in the US Open last year!) If they broadcast on all frequencies they could easily build this system for less than a thousand dollars it would just take a rack of wifi routers and one pole with the antennas!

Compass errors wouldn't be a jammer though, when you try to fly offshore near Pebble beach you will have full signal, then as soon as you hit the edge of their property (even if you are 500 meters offshore) all signal, video and RC goes from %100 to zero in about five feet!
2015-11-26
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

plumbob11 Posted at 2015-11-26 23:30
Pebble beach Golf course in Monterey, CA has a drone jamming system. I was trying to figure out they ...

Legally they can't jam the frequency. If you play the course and find a very high WIFI signal, I'd be tempted to make a report with the FCC and make them do their job.

I have an hexacopter that uses 900 the mHZ frequency, so I could still fly over the course. Unless there is a legal non fly zone set up, they can pound sand.

The course can submit a petition to the FAA to have a special exemption put into place closing the airspace for the tournament, If they were to go for a full time restriction, that might be a problem for all involved.
2015-11-27
Use props
Marius.Skancke
lvl.1
Norway

A big active radar creates alot if interference. That might have been the case.
2015-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules