Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What is the maximum wind speed you've flow in?
12Next >
11725 51 2015-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gamerfanatic
lvl.1

United States

Curious to see what the maximum wind speed users have flown in. I've seen a few people flying in the 31 - 40 MPH category which is truly something else.

Feel free to explain your windiest encounter!
Single SelectVote, Total 506 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-11-26
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

On my flight with 37 mph headwinds,  I had to tack into the wind to get the P3 home. Had me worried for a bit there.
2015-11-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Good question, I am thinking of getting one of those simple wind meters for my phone so I can monitor actual wind speeds
2015-11-26
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.3

Australia

While recently in PNG winds were constantly above 30mph for three days,  and up to 52MPH I had no issue flying in any of those wind speeds,  satellites averaged 15 - 22 on each flight.  It amazed me just how stable it is in very high winds.  I just took extra care when landing if the wind was high close to the ground.
2015-11-26
Use props
IMI193
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-26 20:18
Good question, I am thinking of getting one of those simple wind meters for my phone so I can monito ...

I have one, it works, but 6mph at 10ft turns into 20+ at 150ft, I'm in a forest, so maybe in an open field it would be more useful.

I found this more useful:

https://www.windyty.com/KSFZ?41.921,-70.475,9
2015-11-26
Use props
gongml
lvl.3
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

26mph, according to healthdrone.com.
2015-11-26
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMI193 Posted at 2015-11-26 16:23
I have one, it works, but 6mph at 10ft turns into 20+ at 150ft, I'm in a forest, so maybe in an op ...

Aloha IMI,

Mahalo!  I have that for the whole island and the islands, but not for the neighborhood.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-27
Use props
classicalle
First Officer
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

There were high winds, and I flew with it, and went 50 mph...
2015-11-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

IMI193 Posted at 2015-11-27 13:23
I have one, it works, but 6mph at 10ft turns into 20+ at 150ft, I'm in a forest, so maybe in an op ...

I have those wind forecasts available too, but I would rather know what the wind speed actually is in the area I am flying in, not what the weather forecasters think it should be. This is why I went out and bought a wind speed meter. I will measure the wind speeds at various flying sites and build up an idea of what is OK and what is too fast.

Mind you, I have had the meter for a day already and not a breath of wind... typical. I might have to check the speed at the back end of one of my dogs.
2015-11-28
Use props
mike.wildlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-27 11:18
Good question, I am thinking of getting one of those simple wind meters for my phone so I can monito ...

I use one of these:
Kestrel 4500 Anemometer
Brilliant little piece of kit
2015-11-28
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

30 mph and it was exciting.
2015-11-28
Use props
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

About 30 to 35 for me.. The flying is not the issue, its the landing Either ground landing or hand catching, in high wind its tricky..
2015-11-29
Use props
jon.hudson
New

United Kingdom

IMI193 Posted at 2015-11-27 02:23

Awesome link - Thanks for posting!
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

16-25 mph was my maximum, never flew in hurricane
2015-11-29
Use props
murad.email
New

Denmark

35 mph gusting and on 30% battery
Newbie error big one!
pressed return to home as it said battery warning - it couldnt cope with winds and started drifting
panicked and lost sight of it - it went into land mode as battery critical - and just managed to push it forward enough and found a road far away from home point - managed to clear tree.
Then lost signal on rc - owned the p3p for 2 days was like :@ at myself.

We all left the house in search of it - had a vague idea where it was as it flew over backgardens.. no one around thankfully on the afternoon.
After much legging it in general direction - i managed to get a signal back on screen - to see it had auto landed on road - no cars had come and we got it back 530 feet from take of point !

Much calling jesus and such like and very happy and lucky person!
Lesson learnt !
2015-11-30
Use props
dave.filon
lvl.1

United States

I was taking pic for our local high school, kids assembled in a big "E". Wind gusts to about 25 mph. The flight wasn't bad to control, however landing with the gusting wind was challenging to say the least. Patience and practice did pay off. Pics were great and 700 kids now get to see their pics on Facebook.
2015-11-30
Use props
Phantom3mike
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Took mine out this afternoon on my second flight, winds at approx. 35mph, I was just so eager to use it and was lucky as it was only at 20 meters altitude and only 30 meters away from me but did sh@t myself. Note to self..............................be bloody patient and wait for no wind when learning to fly
2015-11-30
Use props
essel
New

United Kingdom

Is there a way to see the results of the poll without voting? I don't have a P3 yet.

Steve
2015-11-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-11-29 03:36
About 30 to 35 for me.. The flying is not the issue, its the landing  Either ground landing or han ...

Yep, I had to hand catch. Another reason it was exciting.
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Phantom3mike Posted at 2015-11-30 10:29
Took mine out this afternoon on my second flight, winds at approx. 35mph, I was just so eager to use ...

Yeah, flying in the strong wind is not for the beginners.

You will enjoy it much more in calm conditions.
2015-12-1
Use props
Phantom3mike
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-12-2 05:04
Yeah, flying in the strong wind is not for the beginners.

You will enjoy it much more in calm  ...

Dave, thanks and just waiting for the great British weather to calm down
2015-12-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Phantom3mike Posted at 2015-12-2 11:49
Dave, thanks and just waiting for the great British weather to calm down

I understand Mike. I know a lot of people around the world have to deal with bad weather. I am spoiled hear in Southern California. Every day is a good day to fly.

Dave
2015-12-2
Use props
Toorboy
Captain
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

I averaged 37mph winds at Glencoe while trying to film a waterfall
the phantom was drifting slightly so I kept easy on maneuvers
2015-12-3
Use props
Mark97564
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I was able to land mine on the ground in 33mph winds.. Took a little bit and might not been able to do it without vps cuz the wind screws with the barometer like on my naza units. My F550 with E310 motors was the eadiest though..  I did play with return to home that day too and on other windy days and once you hit about 20 to 25 mph winds return to home loses ground.  I feel dji needs to not max out the pitch so soon and make a 8 meters per second or so minimum speed with a max tilt of 35 degrees or so instead of the 8 degree pitch it they gave it.. Same with my naza controllers
2015-12-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Did a short flight today to test some FPV goggles . The average wind speed was 25.5mph.Peak was 35.9mph.  Aside from being a little unstable on  the landing,  it was ok.

2015-12-4
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Flying in high winds is great!
Be careful though, and don't go too high'n  far because there are some traps out there
Wind has layers.
Each layer can have different speeds and directions, specially if you are in mountanious terrain.
This opens up the possibility for you to stand in a head wind while your drone travels down wind.
Guess what happens in this scenario if you fly for half the battery...
I did that once, turned around and could not get my P2 any closer,
Took it down a bit and found a sweetspot where I still had FPV signal and wind was low enough for my bird to struggle home.
2015-12-20
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.3

United States

I was over the ocean and I got a major gust of wind
2015-12-29
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

38km/h following a sailboat
2015-12-29
Use props
GTDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Max speed  that i get with my phantom 3 standard  was  38.2 Mph  i reach 17 meters per second in my screen in a windy day
i did a range test against the wind and when i was coming back i was 100% full front pitch with the wind  and i get 17 ms speed really quick RTH
2015-12-30
Use props
vr-pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

IMI193 Posted at 2015-11-27 03:23

Many thanks for that link. Great visual depiction, forecast diagrams and localization.
AMAZING! I have bookmarked it on my P3P tablet (Sony Xperia Z4 LTE).
https://www.windyty.com
2015-12-31
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Hoping you folks are not getting tired of my pictures just yet, because now I felt the urge to post a couple pf Wind Pics
This is from a place called Dalsnibba.
It's 1500 meters above sea level and has a mind numbing view.
Beware that in places like this the sun warms the mountain side and can cause a serious updraft!
The P1 in ATTI mode was AWESOME flying with the wind!
Dalsnibba_2013-07-24.jpg

Have a look at the flag
Dalsnibba_02_2013-07-24.jpg

2015-12-31
Use props
michael_s
New

United States

IMI193 Posted at 2015-11-26 18:23

Love the site, thank you.
2016-1-1
Use props
DrACE
lvl.4

United States

If you want to be certain to put your bird in serious risk of crashing, please by all means fly in sustained 25+ mph winds at any height.  One good gust could easily bury the front or back end, resulting in a flip and a crashed bird and someone screaming on here that DJI is to blame.  
2016-1-3
Use props
reggy72
New

United Kingdom

Desperate for some fly time and today was only my second flight I risked a low level flight no greater than on average 40ft and within 120ft radius in Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset UK, the winds were pretty gusty to say the least but the little bird did just fine, it was remarkable watching the Phantom almost lean into the wind to maintain its position. Flying with the wind it absolutely rocketed down the beach, not so fast though against the wind trying to bring her back home, I tried a few altitudes where I noticed the airspeed offered least resistance and generally kept it in this pocket to preserve my battery. I'd imagine the average wind speed must have been 25/30mph with gusts @ 40mph+.

I then went inland a few miles for a little more practise and reached an Altitude of 290ft, it was drifting a little but considering the winds here today I felt comfortable with it up there and I had plenty of space to play with, it only drifted I'd guess by around 10/15ft from its initial straight up launch which I thought was pretty good, unfortunately it started to rain so it was a case of get it down asap and back into its lovely new German made B W hard case.

I only managed about 15 minutes of flight today, but had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The only issue I had noticed today was that my TX I swear was running a solid red light even though it was fully charged and I had no signal issues whatsoever.
2016-1-9
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-26 19:18

Hey Geebax, I am an Apple iPhone 6 user and I have a free app called WindCompass from the app store. It's a blue icon with an image of blowing wind. Hope that helps. {:3_48:}
2016-1-23
Use props
john.davis.core
lvl.1
United States

So yesterday was my windiest flight yet and I will not knowingly do that again.  We had winds of 30 mph and gusts higher than that, I was simply trying out a different smart phone trying to resolve some issues I have been having with FPV on my iPad.  I took my professional up to about 60 feet or so and it starting drifting away with the wind.  Once I had it pointed back in my direction and gave it full throttle it barely was making any progress toward home.  Once directly over head I brought it down and landed, I was really concerned that I was going to have to chase it down.  like I said I will not knowingly take it out again in anything above 25 mph or so.

John
Oh, I forgot to mention I had installed the bumpers on all the props.  I believe this created more drag or more surface area for the wind to have more effect on it.  Once recovered I removed the bumpers.  I have found that I do not need the bumpers in 99% of my flights.
2016-1-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-1-24 03:56
Hey Geebax, I am an Apple iPhone 6 user and I have a free app called WindCompass from the app stor ...

Thank you, but that is quite an old post. Since then I bought a cheap hand-held meter to do the job.
2016-1-23
Use props
KEvans
First Officer
Flight distance : 2170823 ft
United States

30+ sustained winds. At that speed hand catching is definitely your friend.
2016-1-23
Use props
Frostbrew 103
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-11-26 19:18

Check out the UAV Forecast app!
2016-1-23
Use props
pantera989
lvl.4

New Zealand

Whatever 35km/h equals in miles
2016-1-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now