Operating near airports
1783 8 2014-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nicko1911
New

Australia

What options are available to commercial UAV operators in Australia who are looking to use the Inspire within these restricted areas (near primary and secondary airports) with the appropriate ATC clearances? Obviously we wouldn't want to have to disable GPS or other functionality & benefits to operate within these zones, so perhaps DJI could consider issuing different user level firmware to registered commercial operators?
I'd hate to think that our company may not be able to use this UAV commercially.
2014-12-25
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

I cant speak for the inspire 1 since its not even out yet but for the Phantom there were some back revving firmware to earlier versions to beet this.
2014-12-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Right now there are no options.  
2014-12-26
Use props
craigarthurson
lvl.2

Nigeria

Best to just stay out of the restricted airspace CASA has strict regulation and if not followed leads to all sortes of fines the tighter legislation and further the limits of operator. Best to get a remote pilots certification which will give you a better understanding of the problems and why we have theses restrictions. If for some reason you need to operate in these areas it would be advisable to get an approval to operate and put a NOTAM in place to advise aircraft operators of the UAS in the area and to be aware of its location and altitude.
2014-12-26
Use props
rmaxwell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I fly full scale and R/C aircraft in both feature length movies and commercials.  I also have flown a camera carrying multi-rotor in a movie.  My last job was for a major studio and the set was on Vancouver, BC international airport.  I had a Special Flight Operations Certificate from Transport Canada.  I was in communication with NAVCANADA (the tower).  There was a risk manger on set.  I hold a commercial pilots license and have been a flight instructor.  In other words we did this job by the book and above board.  There are times when I need to fly inside the forbidden zones with the full permission of the authorities.   DJI, how does a professional who plays by the rules turn this feature off.
2014-12-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

@maxwell.  This question has been asked before for the Phantom series.  You cannot turn it off.  The A2 controller which is used on the pro line of craft, the S900 and S1000, currently has the ability to turn that feature off.  That platform may be more suitable to the work you are doing.
2014-12-26
Use props
nicko1911
New

Australia

I also have a fixed-wing CPL and therefore am familiar with the airspace and the rules that apply. However, if I had a client requiring photos within 5km of an airfield, I could request the appropriate clearances from air traffic control, comply with clearances etc, however from what I understand, the Inspire wouldn't even leave the ground due to firmware. I can appreciate the potential conflict with air traffic, particularly if the operator is oblivious to the airspace, however as a pro operator, this limitation seems unnecessary. If it can be turned off on the larger S900s then why restrict the Inspire? Seems a shame.
2014-12-27
Use props
sdpeters
New
Flight distance : 40968376 ft
United Kingdom

likewise would like to be able to disable this feature, as a certified professional operator in the UK, i too have the A2 on a SkyJib, but there are some jobs that a skyjib is just overkill for and to have something nice and quick that can be carried in a hire car if necessary would be a nice feature, i appreciate that DJI needs to limit its exposure to the numpties of the world, maybe an administered unlock code upon receipt of proof of certification??
2014-12-28
Use props
vincentvanschij
New

Netherlands

as far as i know those limits wont work when you disable gps mode and fly in atti mode;)
2014-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules