Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Software update 1.5 and vibration
41388 759 2015-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
murad.email
lvl.1

Denmark

Hi

Ive hopefully done some due diligiance and searched the forum - perhaps now well.

However Im on another forum for phantoms - and have the same problem as some others

I have a two week old p3p.
I have recently updated all software to 1.5 and have noticed a vibration in the aircraft - noticeable when hovering before landing.
Thats my personal experiece but others have seen it in general when hovering.
It looks quite bad - and its repeatable.

I have a 2 week old aircraft - and not done much flying on it.
Ive checked for stress factures - of which id be surprised off having such a young aircraft.
I changed to spare set of propellers and made sure all the calibration was done for compass and even IMU.

The same checks have been done by others and still the same problem is affecting some others.
Its weird as others have no problems.

Theories abound to stress cracks but many of us dont have any.
the update has changed the ESC controller idle speed.

Im not expert so just passing that on...
I did not have this problem until after the update.

M

2015-11-30
Use props
MoonShadow
lvl.1

Norway

The craft will oscillate at given rpms that is inevitable, a harder shell might help

2015-11-30
Use props
tannar86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1712044 ft
Estonia

I have the same "vibration" when hovering in air...
that cam when i upgraded my Bird

Hope that next firmware will fix it!
2015-11-30
Use props
asfodelo42
lvl.3

Italy

How nice to live in hope of one day being able to fly with their P3, what do you think ?????It would be very nice to have spent our money for a worthwhile cause
2015-11-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I have all upgrades and see none of that.  Have you tried to wiggle/wobble each motor to see if one of them is loose at one or more anchor points?  That's a terrible vibration and it will shake the bird apart in short order as it is stressing the motor mounts.  I've never seen one do that.
2015-11-30
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Hello , Murad
Would you post a video of that ? It's so strange .
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

tannar86 Posted at 2015-12-1 01:08
I have the same "vibration" when hovering in air...
that cam when i upgraded my Bird

Hi ,
Please upload the data of the vibration to Dropbox when your drone vibrates in the air   .  The flight data can be derived from your aircraft . Thank you !
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

MoonShadow Posted at 2015-12-1 01:03
The craft will oscillate at given rpms that is inevitable, a harder shell might help

https://www.yo ...

Hi ,
Please upload the data of the vibration to Dropbox when your drone vibrates in the air  .  The flight data can be derived from your aircraft . Thank you !
2015-12-1
Use props
MoonShadow
lvl.1

Norway

Dji Technical support advice : downgrade to firmware v1.4.0010 then upgrade to v1.5.0030 again and calibrate IMU

2015-12-1
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MoonShadow Posted at 2015-12-1 20:23
Dji Technical support advice : downgrade to firmware v1.4.0010 then upgrade to v1.5.0030 again and c ...

Good to know, thanks..
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI.Terry
DJI team

Hong Kong

For vibration issue, pls try 'Reset All Settings' in the APP.
2015-12-1
Use props
Paniza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

I got the same issue today.

This is my first flight after 1.5

At first I thought Willy was shivering could but then remember this post.

I use DJI carbon fiber propellers.

This is the first time since May/2015 that I have seen this vibration.

I also noticed that the bird flights a faster. Perception only?

Thanks.

2015-12-2
Use props
Paniza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

DJI.Terry Posted at 2015-12-2 02:20
For vibration issue, pls try 'Reset All Settings' in the APP.

Hi Terry,

Has anybody confirmed that this work?

Thanks.
2015-12-2
Use props
DJI.Terry
DJI team

Hong Kong

Paniza Posted at 2015-12-3 06:13
Hi Terry,

Has anybody confirmed that this work?

It's the suggestion from our engineer. Pls try it and give us feedback, which will help us finalize the cause. If that does not help, pls send us the flight data for further analyse. Thank you.
2015-12-2
Use props
Petosmid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 495144 ft
Slovakia

I've tried downgrading, then upgrading again, then cold IMU calibration. The problem still persists. I will try to gather some flight log data. Is flight log from the app enough?
2015-12-6
Use props
superstreetking
lvl.2

United States

Petosmid Posted at 2015-12-6 17:29
I've tried downgrading, then upgrading again, then cold IMU calibration. The problem still persists. ...

I have done the same thing , When i had Firmware 1.3 on controller and 1.4 on the phantom 3
it was perfect in every way. I updated the controller and dji app and updated the phantom 3 pro to
1.5 , and it vibrates like crap. I flew it one time , and i could see it did not fly right.
So i read , and did everything DJI said to do , went back to 1.4 , then back to 1.5 , did IMU
calibration , and gimble calibration , and controller calibration , on a level table in my house no metal
around , and still when i fire the drown up it shakes all over the place , And even if i go back to 1.4 now
it still shakes but not as bad. I think the new 1.5 controller firmware is bad. I don't know.
But until they come up with a new Firmware , I got a $1500 dollar paper weight.
Its so sad , cause i did not have any problems before no drifting or nothing , it was perfect.
Now its all screwed up , right before Christmas. DJI needs to address this ASAP.
There seems to be a lot of people that this has happening to.
2015-12-7
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

I'm seeing similar issues, lots of vibration and lots of drifting around like it doesn't have any GPS.  Also immediately after upgrading the camera went into manual mode with the ISO and shutter speed turned way down so my live image appeared black; once I figured this out I tried flying and immediately noticed the drift.  My drifting is 3D; up/down, left/right, front/back about 3-5 feet in any direction.

Things I have tried:
Downgrade to aircraft 1.4 and then upgrade to 1.5 (the RC is on 1.5.70 & the app is at 2.4.2 - iPad)
Calibrate aircraft compass, RC, and IMU (cold; aircraft off for 1 hour+ in 45 degree weather)

I have done the downgrade/upgrade/calibration 3 times now and the behavior doesn't change.  Sooo dang frustrating!
Have I crashed, yes.  Has the bird gone through airports with the gimbal lock not attached (it fell off during transport), yes.  But the vibration and drifting is new to this firmware.
2015-12-7
Use props
kancur
lvl.2
Slovakia

I've tried downgrading and upgrading back again multiple times. Didn't help. I can also confirm that the wobble is not present in the previous firmware. I've downgraded again today - and tested it.
2015-12-7
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

So it seems I'm not alone with this. Earlier today I removed the gimbal to tighten the 2 screws to the fan. Installed it back and went out for a quick flight. When hovering, I noticed the camera and gimbal vibrating like the videos above^. First I freaked out thinking I did something wrong, but there was no way. Now I see I'm not alone. When will DJI correct this. I even noticed my P3P even drift a bit, and it was 20 meters high. So DJI advises us to downgrade then reinstall the firmware to 1.5?
2015-12-7
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Looks like a gain issue. I recall the P2's having this same issue after firmware updates came through. Each firmware had its own default settings.

Start the Phantom 3 AND THEN the GO app.
Go into MC Settings (quad icon) > Gain and Expo Tuning > Scroll down to Gain > Set them all default (I noticed there is no default button. default is 100% on all).
Then Exit the GO app first AND THEN power down the P3 (this will write the new settings).
2015-12-7
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-12-7 22:58
Looks like a gain issue. I recall the P2's having this same issue after firmware updates came throug ...

I'll try that out now. I won't be able to start the motors tonight, tomorrow I'll try hovering it.
2015-12-7
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-12-7 22:58
Looks like a gain issue. I recall the P2's having this same issue after firmware updates came throug ...

Quick question, what would setting the gain to 100% do for the vibration? Just curious.
2015-12-7
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cabralkev Posted at 2015-12-8 16:24
Quick question, what would setting the gain to 100% do for the vibration? Just curious.

The gains affect the reaction times of the motors. Think of it as an amplifier on a guitar. Too much gains, and it becomes heavily distorted etc. If the gains are too high, it can cause unwanted oscillations (vibration). Each of the gain settings affect the behaviour of the quad.

Try this... hover the P3 and carefully grab the leg. Notice the wobbles/oscillations on the P3 will stop? The vibration is getting transferred down your arms (this is how the dampeners work).

I used to mess with the gains a lot on the P2 non vision with GoPro. As you add more load/weight, the motors would struggle you need to increase the gains to maintain stability. If they were too high or too low, then you get the wobbles and this would show as jello. Another way to combat the oscillations is to use thicker dampeners.

Best way to configure gains was to start with the lowest settings on all and increase them by 10% until you find a sweet spot.
2015-12-7
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-12-8 01:03
The gains affect the reaction times of the motors. Think of it as an amplifier on a guitar. Too mu ...

Ohhh I see, I never knew that. Learned something today

The gain shows 100% in the DJI Go app. I suppose that's default? I also resetted all the settings. Maybe that'll help?
2015-12-7
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

So I just got back from testing. The vibrations to the gimbal unit still is an issue for me. I downgraded to 1.4, then installed 1.5. Did cold IMU calibration, compass calibration and gimbal calibration. I even did the compass and gimbal calibration twice to make sure. Started the motors, no issue yet, the gimbal is steady. The moment I take off and hover, the gimbal units vibrates :S. It's as if the phantom is trying to hard to stay still and causes a lot of vibrations while doing so. Also I noticed when I was out 20 minutes ago, the phantom drifted a bit randomly. Even dropped in altitude for no reason when I was trying to land. The moment it dropped in altitude, I was using the right stick just moving it in a right place before landing it. So when I saw it drop, I'm like, "Hmmm I didn't tell it to go down. :S" Luckily there was nothing in the way to hit. So it seems, I'm a part of the group who is suffering from this firmware issue. MoonShadow, were you able to fix yours? Your hovering vibration issue is what I'm experiencing as well.
2015-12-8
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

You think I should just stick with 1.4? Maybe that would be a better idea?
2015-12-8
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

I installed firmware 1.4 back on the phantom. There is still a bit of vibration, but not as much with 1.5 installed. Has anyone figured out the cause for this issue and how to fix it? DJI gave me a RMA ticket to send it in. I have 3 weeks to do so with the prepaid label. I really don't want to send it in if it's fixable here at home. Maybe the settings needs to be changed? This sucks
2015-12-8
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-12-8 01:03
The gains affect the reaction times of the motors. Think of it as an amplifier on a guitar. Too mu ...

I agree with you , I don't even need to fly to know there is a problem , And what you
said is true i tried it just setting on my kitchen table , Fired up the P3P .
after start the motors rev just a little and it starts to vibrate like crazy. all 1.5 firmware.
while it is setting there shaking , if i just barely touch one leg with two fingers , it calms down
and runs smooth as silk. Soon as you let go , it starts to shake again. This Firmware is just crap and they need to fix it . With people talking about
fly a way's and stuff , I am afraid to fly , I have flown twice since going to 1.5 and it just
did not feel right.  
2015-12-8
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

ChrisC Posted at 2015-12-9 00:04
I agree with you , I don't even need to fly to know there is a problem , And what you
said is tru ...

I went back to 1.4, it seems more calm to be honest. I also removed the strong arm reinforcement plates I had installed. Now it hovers a bit better. The vibration is calmed down. It does vibrate and then stop. It comes and goes. When I record video, it doesn't transfer to the videos those shakes.
2015-12-8
Use props
e.g.palacios01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228209 ft
Sweden

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2015-12-1 04:35
I have all upgrades and see none of that.  Have you tried to wiggle/wobble each motor to see if one  ...

this go na happen cause the update is not Working good! 2 last vídeos are mine helicópter And i send it to dji cause i find out one small crack And  sound crazy in one ingenier (motor) before was good even wen I didn't check for cracks arms I wish phantom 3 professional was not in this polemic if is perfect or not
2015-12-8
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I'm new to this drone stuff but have been flying RC for over 30 years and when there was a vibration like that it usually was a out of balance prop. Now I don't know if this pertains to this problem or not since like I said I'm new at this stuff, just guessing. I have the P3A with all the new updates and do not have this problem but maybe I'm just lucky.
2015-12-8
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

thumb Posted at 2015-12-9 02:22
I'm new to this drone stuff but have been flying RC for over 30 years and when there was a vibration ...

Could be... I was thinking that. I still have the spare props DJI gave me. It's even still in the plastic wrap. I might try putting those on tomorrow and try again see if it fixes it 100%. Without the strong arms installed under the motors, the vibrations is down to a minimal now.
2015-12-8
Use props
kancur
lvl.2
Slovakia

thumb Posted at 2015-12-9 08:22
I'm new to this drone stuff but have been flying RC for over 30 years and when there was a vibration ...

It's not that. It came with the firmware update to both of my balanced prop sets. When I downgraded, the wobble ended. When I upgraded, it came back. It's confirmed.
2015-12-9
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

kancur Posted at 2015-12-9 05:46
It's not that. It came with the firmware update to both of my balanced prop sets. When I downgrade ...

I guess we're stuck like this until DJI fixes this issue in a firmware. I have a RMA ticket, but I really don't want to send it in. Not until I can figure out the cause of this vibrations.
2015-12-9
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

thumb Posted at 2015-12-9 02:22

How do props become unbalanced? I've had mine since October. It's like 2 degrees celsius here in Toronto. Would that cause any sort of unbalanced flying?
2015-12-9
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2015-12-9 05:50
How do props become unbalanced? I've had mine since October. It's like 2 degrees celsius here in T ...

If you nicked them on a landing, even a deep scratch will do it.

I was going to say that you could just swap the two props that are already on the there and see is the vibration went to the other arm but since it's the firmware
I guess you don't have to do that.
2015-12-9
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

thumb Posted at 2015-12-9 08:56
If you nicked them on a landing, even a deep scratch will do it.

I was going to say that you could ...

Well it can be the firmware causing it. I went back to 1.4 and the vibration is much less. Not sure if the firmware helped it or if my props are unbalanced. I noticed one of my props blood from an insect. Could just blood create weight? lol

I might just throw on the 4 spares DJI gave me and see what happens. Waiting for the afternoon to hit before I test it. It's colddddd right now lol
2015-12-9
Use props
MoonShadow
lvl.1

Norway

All objects have a natural frequency that they resonate or vibrate at when struck. An everyday example of this is a tuning fork.
The sound that a particular fork makes is directly related to the frequency that it is vibrating at.
This is it's natural frequency which is dictated by the size, shape and material of the fork.

A running motor has a natural frequency that it vibrates at.
If it's exposed to a heavily amplified order of it's own natural frequency
it will begin to resonate with increasing vigor until it vibrates itself to pieces(fatigue failure).

A motor have major and minor critical rpms and are different due to the fact that some harmonics assist one another producing large vibrations
whereas other harmonics cancel each other out.

Major critical rpms have harmonics that build on one another to amplify the torsional motion of the motor.
Conversely, minor criticals are at rpm that tend to cancel and damp the oscillations of the motor.

If the rpm remains at one of the Major criticals for any length of time fatigue failure will result.
These major critical rpms are dangerous and must be avoided or properly damped.

My guess is what we see here is minor critical rpms when the craft is idling/hoovering.
2015-12-9
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Just came back from testing. Put new white dji props on, the vibrations was a bit better. However, I did apply gain 90% for all. It was set to 100% default. Once I applied 90% for all, the vibrations was barely noticeable. Is there a reason why 90% works?
2015-12-9
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2015-12-10 00:34
Just came back from testing. Put new white dji props on, the vibrations was a bit better. However, I ...

But you're still on Firmware 1.4 right? Is it possible to run the P3 on the older firmware and the Remote on the latest version?
2015-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules